Pantene Smooth and Sleek--am I missing something?

ThursdayGirl

Hi ladies...

I have tried S&S twice now... both times with olive oil....
Both times my hair came out hard. Do you sit under the dryer with this? Does it matter? How do you mix the olive oil and conditioner?

I want to try one last time before I move onto something else.... I would really like for it to work.

My hair is relaxed... I tried it when I needed a retouch as well as after a fresh relaxer.

Thanks
-J.

sweetcocoa

I never mix mine with oil. I also usually air dry when I use it. It is too heavy for me if I'm gonna sit under the dryer(that's my personal experience with it).

Allandra

Well, first of all, let me ask you this. Does your hair like cones? If not, this probably isn't the conditioner for you because it's loaded with cones. My hair loves cones, so my hair loves this conditioner. I do not use heat with it, but sometimes I slap on a clear plastic shower cap. I do not mix it with anything. Beana tried it three times (or two) before it worked well with her hair. This conditioner gives my hair more slip than any conditioner I've used. So, I'm definitely loving it.
On top of all of this, it's super cheap.

adrienne0914

thursdaygirl, i also wanted this conditioner to work for me. i tried it with and without the olive oil. it didn't make my hair hard, but i gauge whether a conditioner works by how much hair i lose after i use it... way too much with this one. i actually tried it again last night. i didn't lose as much hair, but it was still more than when i use my other faves.

it could be that you're trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. i would try it without the olive oil the next time, since that wasn't working. if it still doesn't work, it could be something that you want to use as a creamy leave-in, or pass it on to someone else.

adrienne

ThursdayGirl

Oh... I thought I had read that you did. Ok. I don't know how my hair likes cones... I am new to this.... I was looking for something to use in addition to my Mizani Moisturefuse.... Keracare Humecto and Affirm 5 in 1... they are all expensive and I am a student. i would love to try the Tropical advocado that people talk about ... but I haven't found it around here... I'm in the midwest...

ThursdayGirl

Good idea. This last time I tried it without the olive oil first.... then layered that on top... the hair had the same feel before I added the oil... so it probably isn't that...
. Oh well... Maybe I will try the Motions that everyone seems to like as well....

BlkMane

Thursdaygirl,

It took me a few tries too before discovering that the Pantene S&S did have some good merits.

I don't think it is meant to be used as a deep conditioner. I THINK most people use it as a 1-5 minute rinse out conditioner or as a leave-in.

It works best for me as a RINSE out. I only leave it in 1-5 minutes tops. It makes my hair very silky and really detangles well. Like Allandra said, it gives your hair lots of "slip."

As a leave-in, I hate it so far. It makes my hair sort of sticky and doesn't let my curls "spring."
Haven't tried it yet as a leave-in before rollersetting. Will try that one day.

I tend to avoid most 'cone products even though they do defrizz, since they build up on my hair over time.

I get a comparable amount of "slip" using Aubrey Island Spice conditioner which is natural and 'cone free.
So, I think I might not buy the Pantene S&S again.

Lindy

I used Pantene Smooth & Sleek for the first time this weekend and like others already said, it does give the hair good "slip." Sometimes I use a separate product after conditioning (for detangling... Aussie Slip) but I didn't have to use it after the S&S... It detangled well, and I only lost a few hairs with combout, and that's saying a whole lot considering I'm 12 weeks since last touchup!!

churchlady

Thursdaygirl

Don't fret, this conditioner also made my hair hard. I could not wait to return it to target, where I bought it.
At least you gave it two tries, after the first time I knew it was not for my hair. The motions cpr and moisturizing conditioners are for me they make my hair soft and tangle free. HTH

jazzyfunknastee

The S&S neither gives me slip or leaves my hair hard. It's like...I don't know. It feels like I put something on my hair but nothing special comes out of it. I don't think my hair like cones very much. I may swap it. or just dump it.

beana3

Thursdaygirl, I love this conditioner now!!! I'm actually experiencing withdrawal symptoms b/c i've been trying to hold out until i can buy it for cheap at Walmart (2 weeks from now)

I took me a few tries to get it to "work" on my hair. I tried it 2x's with no success (w/o olive oil) and then on my third try I mix 1 part olive oil to 3 part condit and my hair was REALLY detangled and soft. Umm i've used it as a "corrector" to other condits, meaning i may have deep condityioned w/ something else and i didn't like the feel so i used the s&s. and i've used it as somewhat of a deep condit, w/o heat for 1/2hr and a plastic cap... both uses were great, so that's how i used it until i finished my bottle!
I'm primarily trying to use it as my ONLY moisturizing condit (pending my results with the Humecto) b/c i've never found anything like it. If experimentation gets the best of me i know 5 mins of s&s will "correct" whatever undesirable results i've had.
I'm not sure what to advise you to do to make teh condit "work" better for you since youve already used it with olive oil, sorry i cant be of more help.

Ennyaa

Valleygirl got me hooked on this one. I use is as a sort of leave-in the way she suggested. After I've done a deep conditioner or shampoo or whatever I put this in and let it sit for a few minutes while I'm in the shower then I only halfway rinse it out (as Valley recommended) leaving my hair under the water for only a couple of seconds. I noticed a CONSIDERABLE change in the manageability of my hair. Even when it air-dried it was better. As for shedding I'm still trying to get that under control.

marabou1

Hello Ladies:

Adrienne, now you got me think'n. hmm

I'm beginning to wonder if it's really Pantene's S&S that caused all the hair on my comb right before my touch-up. I've only used it twice and come to think of it,I started to see more hair come out since I bought it.

I remember reading one time that it's better to detangle with your fingers first while the conditioner is in your hair before using the comb. I'll give that a try when I wash my hair tomorrow night and see if I need a new conditioner.

I hope not because I love the slip it gives.

UmSumayyah

I tried this stuff and I love it. I just left in in 5 min while I detangled. Lots of slip and easy combing. I rinsed out most of it then sprayed in my regular leave-in. My hair is very soft, even after drying completely.
Now where's that coupon...pantene is on sale at Target this week...

serena

I tried it last night for the first time and I LOVE it. I did a pre-shampoo treatment with extra virgin olive oil (no heat, just a plastic cap on for a couple hours while I went about my business). I washed with the Smooth and Sleek Shampoo, also for the first time; I then used Dark n' Lovely's Dry Hair Healer (no heat, just a plastic cap for about 15 minutes). I used the Smooth and Sleek Conditioner, rinsed out after a couple minutes, added my Creme of Nature HerbaRich Leave-In Strand Remoisturizing Treatment conditioner, roller set, and went under the dryer. I took the rollers out today, and my hair looks and feels super soft, super moisturised and super conditioned. I didn't have to add any hairdressing at all. I will definitely be using the Smooth and Sleek again. I'm pretty sure this is going to be a keeper for me. I tried it because Allandra gives it such raves; thanks, Allandra!!