Paraben-Free Products

sugaplum

Star Shooter
Hello Ladies, :wave:

After reading the "Health vs. Hair" thread it opened my eyes to the dangers of products that contained parabens. I went home and to my :shocked: I found that everything that I owned had parabens!! :angry2: So everything had to go.

Ladies, I need your help on coming up with a list of Paraben-Free Products. These are the products I have so far:

Hair Products
Palmers Coconut Oil Hair Conditioner Grease (Contains Mineral Oil)
Fantasia IC Hair Polisher Styling Gel With Spraklelites
Giovanni Direct-Leave-in
Kiss My Face Whenever Conditioner
Burt Bees Keeper Green Tea & Fennel Seed Shampoo & Conditioner
Burt Bees Moisture Raspberry & Brazil Nut Shampoo
Burt Bees Super Shiny Grapefruit & Sugar Beet Shampoo & Conditioner

Skin Care Products
Ceptaphil Moisturizing Lotion (Fragrance Free)
SeaBreeze Astringent
Lubriderm Advanced Therapy Moisturizing Lotion - For Extra Dry Skin (contains Mineral Oil)

Thank you ladies for all your help with this list. :rosebud:

Last edited:

Cinnabuns

Great thread, I'll contribute as well. I have been trying to reduce the parabens in my life as well. Here is what I have so far:

Giovanni Direct-Leave-in

I'll have more later. :)

sugaplum

Star Shooter
ximenia said:
check out the sticky at the top of the forum. :)

I PM'd you. :) Where is the sticky at the of th forum pertaining to this topic? :confused: Could you please provide it for me. :) TY

Last edited:

Cichelle

Aubrey Organics products are paraben free.
Nature's Gate Organics (has to be the organic line) is paraben free, AFAIK.
Earth Science
Dr. Bronner's or Dr. Woods castile soap

Many of the V05 cheapie conditioners are paraben free, however they have other stuff in them you may want to avoid. Same with the cheapie Suave conditioners.

I have a whole list somewhere. But these are the companies that immediately come to mind.

Qhemet Biologics has some paraben-free stuff. But I was less than pleased when I received one of her products and the ingredients said "mixed parabens". :mad: So, be careful there.

I've been off parabens for about a year now. It is hard at first because it seems like everything has parabens. But you will find your way with some determination.

ximenia

Cichelle said:
Qhemet Biologics has some paraben-free stuff. But I was less than pleased when I received one of her products and the ingredients said "mixed parabens". :mad: So, be careful there.

everythings paraben-free except her honeybush gel. she says it on the faq page on her website.

Skin care- Boscia, jurlique

Check each items ingreds...

Dove, lever (Unilever products in general), my honey child, long lovely locks, some rusk items, some aveda items, organic root sitmulator olive oil mousse, some St. Barth items.

It's not so bad, there are more paraben- free items than I 1st thought.... However, there is still some ways to go. I emailed Estee Lauder & bumble & bumble ( E.L. owns , MAC, la mer, aveda, bobbi brown, & more). Less than encouraging and well belittling( see below)

Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 12:03:18 -0400
To: "Angela Evans" <[email protected]>
Subject: Inquiry to Bumble And Bumble

Dear Ms. Evans,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us and for your interest in Bumble
and bumble, a brand of the Estee Lauder Companies.

Cosmetic products developed by The Est?e Lauder Companies undergo a
rigorous protocol of safety evaluation. The Company is committed to
bringing safe, highly effective products to consumers. We constantly study
peer reviewed scientific publications to stay abreast of the latest
developments related to our products. We work continuously to meet, if not exceed, the standards put forth by global government, regulatory and
scientific requirements as well as our own exceedingly high quality
assurance standards.

Parabens, a family of preservatives that help prevent microbial
contamination, are used in a wide variety of foods, drugs and cosmetics to
keep products safe. They have a long history of use worldwide and have
been globally recognized as safe for use in food and cosmetics by all
international regulatory boards, including the U.S. Food and Drug
Administration and the European Union (EU) which includes them on their
list of approved preservatives for cosmetics.

Parabens are used in cosmetics to maintain product freshness and keep them free of potentially harmful bacteria as well as ensure a longer useful
shelf life. Without an effective preservative system, many cosmetics are
no longer self-sterilized and are therefore susceptible to contamination
that can occur during daily use.

Prominent public health officials have stated that the current focus on
ingredients like parabens (that have already been stringently reviewed and
determined safe) as dangerous to women's health is a distraction from the
real dangers like obesity, smoking, stress and poor nutrition. To date,
there have been no conclusive studies which confirm a direct link between
breast cancer and parabens.

Consumer safety is a top priority at The Est?e Lauder Companies and we are proud of the enviable safety record The Company has sustained since it was founded in 1946. Consumers can be assured that we stand behind the
products we produce and sell.

Once again, thank you for contacting us and for the opportunity to address
your concern.

Sincerely,

Darin Stechman
Global Consumer Communications

KhandiB

angel, you feel like that email was belittling?? How so?

I think that she explained the use of parabens quite efficiently (sp)

brooklyngal73

SteelyDan/DonaldFagenFan!
Qhemet products are paraben and DMDM Hydantoin (formaldehyde releaser) free! I luv their amla and olive heavy cream and their olive detangling cream.

sugaplum said:
Hello Ladies, :wave:

After reading the "Health vs. Hair" thread it opened my eyes to the dangers of products that contained parabens. I went home and to my :shocked: I found that everything that I owned had parabens!! :angry2: So everything had to go.

Ladies, I need your help on coming up with a list of Paraben-Free Products. These are the products I have so far:

Hair Products
Palmers Coconut Oil Hair Conditioner Grease (Contains Mineral Oil)
Fantasia IC Hair Polisher Styling Gel With Spraklelites
Giovanni Direct-Leave-in

Skin Care Products
Ceptaphil Moisturizing Lotion (Fragrance Free)
SeaBreeze Astringent
Lubriderm Advanced Therapy Moisturizing Lotion - For Extra Dry Skin (contains Mineral Oil)

Thank you ladies for all your help with this list. :rosebud:

Hey Khandi,
Yes, 2 reason...
1. because the question I asked , which I forgot , here it is.... (I love your products... however I am concerned about Parabens. Do you have any plans in the future to replace their use with a different preservative?)

2. The comment below(wish knew how to highlight). The question posed was not about other issues, it was about parabens.

Prominent public health officials have stated that the current focus on
ingredients like parabens (that have already been stringently reviewed and
determined safe) as dangerous to women's health is a distraction from the
real dangers like obesity, smoking, stress and poor nutrition.

KhandiB said:
angel, you feel like that email was belittling?? How so?

I think that she explained the use of parabens quite efficiently (sp)

atlien11

Paraben free products i have tried personally (and like :D)
1. Burts Bees Rosemary Mint Shampoo Bar
2. Gary Nulls Heavenly Hair Shampoo
3. Giovanni Direct Leave-in and Giovanni Hair Care Vitapro Fusion
4. JASON sea kelp shampoo and JASON Biotin conditioner
5. All of Aubrey Organics Conditoners
6. Shea Butter
7. From Nature With Love - Avocado butter, Sweet Almond Butter, Emu Oil, Hazelnut Oil
8. New Chapter Hair Rush - This is Very easy and very good cayenne pepper treatment. Good for stimulating the scalp

Last edited:
bklynwildheart said:
Qhemet products are paraben and DMDM Hydantoin (formaldehyde releaser) free! I luv their amla and olive heavy cream and their olive detangling cream.

qhemet's alma and olive heavy cream does contain parabens

Ingredients: Castor (Ricinus Communis) Oil, Olive (Olea Europa) Oil, Distilled Water, Organic Amla (Phyllanthus Emblica), Organic Aloe (Aloe Ferox) Africana, Organic Brahmi (Bacopa Monniera), MSM (Methosulfonylmethane), Vegetable Glycerin, Vegetable Emulsifier, Vitamin E, Phenoxyethanol, Mixed Parabens, Fragrance.

brooklyngal73

SteelyDan/DonaldFagenFan!
I just checked my labels--I don't see any mixed parabens. I got my products around a month ago; maybe you have an old formula...

She uses 2 ingredients: phenoxyethanol and ethylhexylglycerin (a mild food grade paraben-free and formaldehyde-free preservative). She notes on her site this:

Does NOT contain:
~ Parabens
~ DMD Hydantoin (Formaldehyde)
~ Diazolidinyl urea (Formaldehyde)
~ Sodium hydroxymethylglycinaten
(Formaldehyde)

Curlmart.com should change their description cuz they have "mixed parabens" as an ingredient, which is misleading.

destiny616 said:

Ingredients: Castor (Ricinus Communis) Oil, Olive (Olea Europa) Oil, Distilled Water, Organic Amla (Phyllanthus Emblica), Organic Aloe (Aloe Ferox) Africana, Organic Brahmi (Bacopa Monniera), MSM (Methosulfonylmethane), Vegetable Glycerin, Vegetable Emulsifier, Vitamin E, Phenoxyethanol, Mixed Parabens, Fragrance.

Last edited:

alexstin

Yeah, I ordered the heavy cream about a month ago and mine reads the same as bklynwildheart's does, no parabens.

bklynwildheart said:
I just checked my labels--I don't see any mixed parabens. I got my products around a month ago; maybe you have an old formula...

She uses 2 ingredients: phenoxyethanol and ethylhexylglycerin (a mild food grade paraben-free and formaldehyde-free preservative). She notes on her site this:

Curlmart.com should change their description cuz they have "mixed parabens" as an ingredient, which is misleading.

ximenia

destiny616 said:

it doesn't contain parabens. either you have a really old jar or got that description off of naturallycurlys website which lists the old, out of date ingredients.

Cichelle

Some time ago there was a thread which included discussion about Qhemets and parabens. At the time, she WAS using parabens in her products. Although evidence pointed to her thinking there was nothing wrong with parabens (and that she thought another company, which claims not to use them, was actually using them)...she obviously changed her mind and removed the parabens from most of her products.

Even though that thread bothered me, when I heard that she had removed the parabens, I thought I'd give her products a try. It just so happens that one of the things I ordered still has parabens in it.

Barbara

Princess
All you can do is reduce your paraben usage, because 90 percent of personal products contain parabens. I reduced mine to once or twice a month—which is at the hair salon. When parabens build up in our system, that’s when they cause problems. I use other paraben-free products such as the following:

Aubrey Organics products (They claim they don’t contain parabens, but it was tested and the results came back positive.)
Giovanni Direct Leave in
Softee Indian Hemp pomade
Hairobics Hair Oil/Detangler Oil
TCB Naturals pomade
Africa’s Best Herbal Oil Complex
Dr. Bronner’s Peppermint Castile Soap
Kiss My Face Olive Oil Soap
Crystal Stick deodorant
Eyeliner, mascara and lipstick from Whole Foods