Pentecostal/Apostolic Long Hair?

LovelyNaps26

Is anyone growing their hair long/ decided to go natural due to religious reasons?

I got on youtube today to listen to a song and before I knew it I stumbled onto watching videos of "Apostolic Hairstyles". All the videos were of white women with really long hair. Basically, they believe that a woman shouldn't cut her hair and should also dress modestly (i.e. long skirts/dresses). I started thinking...are their black women growing out their hair really long due to their faith?

I did find a blog with a sister but she didn't seem obsessed with length but more in being chemical free.

This is not a belief of all Pentecostals (I go to a Pentecostal church where folks where everything from jeans to suits and rock fro-hawks, shaved heads and long relaxed hair) mostly those in the UPC or "Oneness" Pentecostal/Apostolic tradition.

Did anyone begin their hair journey motivated by religious reasons?

I'm interested just for the sake of interest in hair. This why i posted in the hair forum. :)

ETA: here's and example of an apostolic hairstyle it think they're supposed to pin up when out in public but i'm not completely sure about that.

Last edited:

Tamster

This is interesting. Idk of what denomination this girl was, but this girl I went to college with said it was against her religion to cut her hair. She was going natural and is basically a super long term transitioner.

I guess she was just letting her ends naturally break off? idk, cause i asked if she trimed and she said she never did.

ETA: i should add that she was EXTREMELY religious. only wore over the knee skirts, took a yr off from school bc our liberal school scared her. she picked the wrong school but it was the closest to home.

Last edited:

Triniwegian

My paternal grandmother was pentecostal, she never wore pants and she never cut her hair. She wore her hair in an up-do at all times. I remember when i first saw her hair out and I was in complete awe; It was down to her hips.

MyCoilsGoBoing

I'm not, but thanks for the blog links. I know this is the hair section, but I'm interested in modest fashion. I see how some people dress modestly where I live, and I'm like :ohwell: You can be modest and not look frumpy. Off to look some more.

*Sorry to be off topic*

greenandchic

MyCoilsGoBoing - There has been a few websites and blogs over the years that has modest fashion, but very cute and chic. (Off to look for my links again)

In term of not cutting hair due to religious reasons, I've known a few black women that didn't cut their hair for those reasons even though that wasn't necessary a tenet in their denomination. It was more community and family reasons with a slight religious spin on it. Long hair was considered chaste and modest where short hair was considered edgy, "loose", racy, immodest or butch.