Long Hair and Vanity

luxe.li.

What are all the reasons why you ladies want long hair?

I know some people say they will never wear their hair short, or that short hair is too much maintenance.

I think there is nothing wrong with growing our hair long, but when it gets to the point that we want long hair so bad that we will wear weaves, wigs, and glue in's, do you ever stop to think that maybe that is just too much?

Me personally I have tried to wear wigs, and weaves, and glue in pieces to give myself more length, but the idea that its not my hair makes me feel weird and I always take the weave out or the wig off and just rock my natural hair. I think the only weave I can wear is braids and that's because I would get micros and the price to get them put in was worth keeping them in.

I want my hair to grow long for a few reasons. I want to see what my natural texture looks like in abundance. I want to see how long my hair grows, and I think I look better with long hair......

So what are all the reasons you ladies want long hair? Is wearing weaves to achieve long hair vanity?

vnaps

the first and only time i got a weave in my life (bout 2 years ago) i took them out that day and got cornrows done instead the next day lol......

they just didnt suite me AT ALL (short and curly )......

so i wouldnt say i have gone far in my quest for long hair.....

however i would really want long hair because i have never had it in my adult life and i have always said i will get it one day so i kinda have a point to prove......vanity??? maybe :blush:

GirlTalk

I think long, thick hair is so feminine & classic looking. It just commands attention without saying a word!

that_1_grrrl

Well, I want long hair because I've always love long hair. When I was a little girl I heard a story about a girl with really long hair (not Repunzel), and ever since, I've wanted it.

I have done weave or wigs for length. I've only done extensions for braiding my hair. I would like to try a sew-in, but that has more to do with expanding my styling options without damaging my hair.

fivetimestwo

I've always wanted long hair and now that I know I can have it, I want to see how long it will get. There's probably a little bit of vanity mixed in too. :look:

gorgeous86

So what are all the reasons you ladies want long hair?

I want long hair because I think that long, thick, shiny, healthy hair (any texture) is absolutely beautiful. Before I found this site, I never thought that the a person with type 4a and/or b hair could have long healthy relaxed hair. Now that I know it's possible, I want to try to reach that goal.

Is wearing weaves to achieve long hair vanity?
No, I do not think that wearing weaves to achieve long hair is vanity.

Last edited:

SW2011

I want long hair because I didn't like when I cut my hair short. I love the look of long hair on me.

Simply_Kelz

-I want long hair because I never had it. The longer my hair gets, the less I have to do it. When it was shorter, I had to go to a stylist because I could never get it sleek enough, and it didn't look good. The longer my hair is, the more I can enjoy quick buns, braidouts, twistouts, etc. Plus I love curls, but short ones don't look right on me.
-I don't think people always wear weave for vanity. I've worn it to have any easy low-maintenence style for a period of time.

luxe.li.

I like change, so my hair was SL while I was transitioning then I cut it to NL. I love it but I am ready for it to grow longer. Sometimes I'm not going to lie, I wear my hair straight over curly because its short and I don't think I'm pretty with it and sometimes I wonder if I should just love to embrace my hair....?

Junebug D

The only kind of weave I've ever had were braids.

I had wigs because I did some photo shoots back in the day, heh... :look:

Other than that, I think I want long hair now because I've never had really long hair before. I get bored with my hair easily, and I'm pretty bored with my shorter lengths. I like a challenge and goals to keep things interesting, and this will definitely be a challenge AND interesting. :yep: Not to mention I want to show people in my family who are constantly destroying their hair that maybe there is something good about this "going natural" thing.

I've been bald, relaxed, relaxed with big frizzy hair, natural, texturized, wore the Halle cut, worn countless TWAs, been shoulder length or shorter for most of my life. It's time for something else.

Lava27

I don't really even want long hair...lol. I'll be really happy when I hit collar-bone! Just like the way hair frames my face...but too long I think would over-power me because I'm short. Got a weave and had it cut like twice and the stylist was all mad...but I love me some collar-bone!:yep:

mightycute912

I want long hair, because I have always had a decent length. I want to reach my hair goals. Before I cut more than half my hair off in September, I was at BSL. I am in the process of transitioning (or giving it serious thought) and I want to have healthy, natural?? (hopefully) hair first, then long, luxurious hair second.

Attachments

• Before cut 9708.jpg
    Before cut 9708.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0900.jpg
    IMG_0900.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 29

Neith

I want my hair to be pretty and healthy. Long hair is pretty.

Keeping yourself clean, beautiful and healthy is not a sin in my opinion.

If that's ALL that matters to you, then you have a problem.

lilsparkle825

i think long hair is very feminine, and sexy at the same time. in addition, i have never had it so it's a dream i'm chasing just to see if i can achieve it. i think it's vanity only when you feel ugly without long hair OR look down on people whose hair is shorter than yours. i've never had either problem.

oh yeah...i have had two weaves. they made me feel great, except for the fact it wasnt my hair. i cant stand being paranoid of people seeing my tracks.

MizzBrown

I think the obsession with trying to have long hair can be overly vain.

When you find yourself going completely crazy over your hair, scrutinizing it, measuring it down to 1/16th of an inch, when most of your days are thinking about your hair then yeah something is a little off.

FluffyRed

I like big hair. If my natural texture could look big, I would still be natural. I accept and like my texture, but i kinda have to take it for what it is. Straightening it is VERY time consuming, as it is so tight! ( I can't press or flat Iron before braiding. Cannot braid without very time consuming detangling. A multi-day process.)

I look at folks who have cut off their hair and lost part of their beauty, like keri russell, MAXWELL, etc.

I never could grow long hair. IN fact, my hair was so delicate it kept breaking off when I was a young permie.

It's just something I always wanted, but could not get. Now I believe I can get it.

It's a skill to learn, I enjoy learning and experimenting.

The male reaction.

There's a little vanity to it.

BeautifulFlower

I want long hair (Waistlength and beyond) because its not common for black women. I want it to show my family if I can do it, they can too. I want it because my SO inspired me to go long so this is a little gift to him. I want it because I've never had it before.

Thats not to say I have anything against weaves. I will rock a weave in a sec. Wigs depend. Glue-in's an absolute NO NO.

WhipEffectz1

Long hair or a head full of head is just another accessory to me. :look: I'm not that obsessed about having long hair but it is a nice addition. I'm still da ish with or without it....

MA2010

Initially DH wanted me to grow my hair but now I want it for myself.

Long hair means healthy hair to me.

I will also wear hair weaves if I chose. It's not that serious to me.

Simple.

CHECKMATE!

Because long hair is sexier,especially when it has that swang:rolleyes:....it is more versatile...it is more feminine...my SO loves it,I love it...I can go on:look:

blasianbeauty

I don't really even want long hair...lol. I'll be really happy when I hit collar-bone! Just like the way hair frames my face...but too long I think would over-power me because I'm short. Got a weave and had it cut like twice and the stylist was all mad...but I love me some collar-bone!:yep:
I've heard the bolded before also, but I don't care...I still want long WL and beyond hair! Yes, it is %98 vanity and the other %2 is because it's easy maintenance.

trenise

I wore weave for 5 years straight. I wore it all the time, to the point that people who'd only known me for a couple of years or so thought it was really my hair. I liked wearing it because I thought it made me look more like my mother. For years before the weave, when people saw us together they thought I was her niece or just somebody. I like long hair on me. Then I found out I like super short hair on me too. It looks so good. But I'm growing it out now partly for curiousity, to see how long it can get.

locabouthair

cause I never had long hair before. Honestly I just want APL and thats it. Anything more than that would be too much. I dont want really long hair.

**SaSSy**

3rd Big Chop on 7/18/2016
I never wore weaves, or tracks. The closest I ever wore fake is is extention braids. I always wear my own hair out, and never felt the need to wear long wigs, weaves, or anything fake to make it look like it's fuller, or longer than it is. B4 LHCF I thought my hair could only grow to APL, and that was it, now I can grow it almost how ever long I want it to grow.

I don't think all women who wear weaves or wigs have self-esteem issues, but I do believe that some do.

BTW: In the past and still a little now think that long hair is sexier, and feminine and just more ideal on me than shorter hair. My face shape doesn't look bad, but it doesn't look good with an halle berry cut. Now that I'm APL again I'm just excited to see how much longer it can grow and just maintain it at that lenght. Anything MBL and longer on me is way to much in my opinion, but I may change my mind.

Last edited:

summergirl08

I believe that it's all about having inner confidence to begin with. I have been shoulder length most of my life and I'm aiming for BSL by the end of '09. I have also had to cut my hair & nurture it back to health due to a bad relaxer incident.

Maybe some women feel that having long hair will make them more attractive. Personally, I think short healty hair is just as beautiful as long healthy hair. It's all about perspective

Hairsofab

I'm growing out my hair. I do want long hair for vanity reasons. I've always had short brittle hair chewed up by relaxer for most of my life. I think long hair looks nice on me.

Dposh167

i never put vanity with my will for long hair. honestly.....i just wanted more versatile hairstyles. I was always known for having cute hairstyles, but b.c. my hair was only SL... i could only do so much. OR i had to add hair which i got tired of. But I never had people (men) tell me that i should grow my hair...or i would look better with longer hair. they always complimented my SL hair b.c. it was healthy looking (back when i was taking care of it).

so i'm really more excited to do different hairstyles with my long hair...rather than the attention

MsOmri

I've had both and have looked the best :imo:with longer hair. Actually I think the layered, slightly longer that SL looked the best. I've wore weave for years and would cut my relaxed hair above SL b/c it was too hard to maintain them both. (yeah I know ...silly) Then I did a BC mid 2007 let it grow for about a year. permed it Mar 08 and it was almost BSL before I had it trimmed. My hair has always grown fast but I never realized it could be as thick and pretty as a weave (go figure). So this year I plan to grow it out as long as possible, just to see how long it will get. I'm sure I'll cut it at some point but I just want to see what my hair can do. :grin:

Plus I've always compared my hair to my sister. She's 2c/3a and I'm 4a. Her hair has always been MBL with no effort and super thick. Unfortunately I didn't know how to care for my hair so it was always shorter and thin (due to self inflicted damage). Now she is actually complementing me on my hair as opposed to my hair weave.

So maybe I'm not MBL, 2c w/ super thick hair...... but for once I actually like my healthy 4a, APL very thick strands.

Who knows...maybe after another year of healthy hair care, I might even fall in love.:blush:

So I don't think its vanity its about what you think looks good. I still love weaves, they are so much easier to style as you can be brutal w/ the heat. You just have to do you...
I mean really, don't we all want to look good and for each of us, looking good may mean something different (i.e. weaves, natural, relaxed, short, long...) So we gotta do what works!

Keep it cute ladies!!!!

Last edited: