People who ALWAYS doubt BLACK girls can GROW HAIR

kurlybella

...these are just my opinions based off of my observations...

why is it that more often than not that black girls who live in weave almost always doubt another girl's hair is real? but a girl who does not (long or short hair) either does not doubt when she sees another black chick with long hair or does not care?

i've noticed (in real life and on other boards that i visit) that the even though many say they wear weaves and lacefronts to grow their hair (IMO, isn't this what 90% of us say but only 10% are actually doing???), they, for example, will not cut ya girl beyonce (just using her as an example since she is the LF queen) ANY slack.

people post a picture of beyonce's natural hair -- boards light up, what kind of weave/lf is that?

christina milian -- what kind of weave is that?

rachel true -- what kind of weave makes her curls look like that? who does her weaves?

jordan richardson -- her weave is on point. i can't even see where her wefts start!!

let's do the math here. we all try our best to take care of our hair and do the RIGHT things to it. most of us ladies have gotten tremendous growth in short amount of times with our healthy routines. so why is it that a multi millionaire who wears lf 90% of the time with her hair protected underneath is always called bald-headed? when she does have her hair down and it's obviously hers, why do those who live in extensions doubt that the girl could have grown "all that hair" in 5+ years? and then proceed to use poor lighting and old photographs everything else to look for her lace or a track?

it's almost a ghetto crab in a bucket mentality that i've noticed -- SOME weave heads are in complete denial about anyone being able to grow hair.
they can't see past their own tracks or glued on wig the fact that not everyone who is black has neck length hair.

i'm not trying to start anything, but i've noticed this a lot. that girls who wear weaves or wigs constantly and use the "the weave is going to grow my hair" excuse for years and years, but never get past shoulder are almost...i don't know..resentful almost of women who do have long hair and who may have also gotten that why by protective styling with extensions and NOW can show they long natural healthy tresses...

i guess this is kind of hard to explain, but i see this so often in real life.

they are always, always on the lookout for track or a piece of lace.

i guess once you see the light and realize you can grow hair that you will not be in denial that others can too...

NOT EVERY BLACK CHICK HAS A WEAVE

it's the weirdest thing...

Neith

On one hand, you have to be an IDIOT to REALLY think a whole race of women has defective hair genes or something.

On the other hand... SO many black women wear weaves that it's become the norm.

Not that other women don't wear them, but we all know how popular weaves are and how common it is to see not so nice hair in black women. What are they really supposed to think?

ebzonix

I agree with Neith, it's become the norm so some people can't help but expect it. I'm sad to say that I expect it when I see someone with drastic long hair. It's not that I doubt that it's theirs, but it's so common these days.

I know why this happens--

Because without guidance like the LHCF keeping growth is so @$#@! hard!!
Although I seldom wore sew-in weaves, I also doubted the authenticity of some girls' hair length. I just asked myself, how did they escape the cycle of breakage? Why is it whenever I get a perm I can't hold onto my growth?

Some ladies can't believe other women have figured out the keys to growth. They just can't believe it!

And it's funny how all those celebrities are natural, but the doubters and haters might not understand that not using chemicals is what can work for them!

fluffylocks

IMO

Alot of us without the hairboards and books dont think black women can grow hair and theres alot of ignorance that go's with that

But if there is someone out there that believes we can grow hair, and its with weaves, and thats they wear....
Then they are probally really interested in weaves and know all about them
Whenever they see long hair since they think that long hair is either a weave or from a weave (and they probally think their one of the few people that has the knowledge of "the only way you can grow your if your black is with a weave)...
Then they probally assume everyone has a weave
And if there is someone that grew their hair with a weave faster/better than they did they are probally sceptical.

I would say this is probally similar to how we know alot about hair/how to grow it, and someone comes along with BSL hair, says they iron everyday and washes 1x a month...and they've made better progress than most people.....People on here would probally be saying the same thing.

Last edited:

Neith

Was I wrong in thinking that the OP posted the pictures and wrote the comments to be sarcastic?

BirdieGray

Girl, I totally understand how you feel. It's sad how many posts I see (mainly on other boards) where celebrity's so called weaves/lacefronts or whatever are put on blast. It's like it's always assumed that it is not their hair, which may/may not be the case, but it's never "her hair is so cute, how can I acheive this look?" It's always her weave is this, what kinda lf is that, look at her hairline, blah, blah, blah. I just hate the fact that there are too many women that focus on putting others ON BLAST to make themselves feel better about themselves. And it's always the same one or two people who starts the same hater threads. I could see if this stuff was posted in the gossip section where people want to gossip, but why fill the other sections with all the haterism :drunk:???

Chrissmiss

It's not even just long hair it's nice looking hair period. I get the "weave" question whether im natural, relaxed, shoulder length, or past bra strap.

tapioca_pudding

People make judgment calls based upon their upbringing/surroundings. If you grow up around all your weave wearin aunties & and great-grandmas, then of course you would question a chick with nice BSL hair. But if you grow up around APL+ fam/friends, then it wouldn't seem out the norm for a black woman to achieve those lengths.

Think about it objectively.

Simply_Kelz

I feel you OP, I hear people say that mess all the time; either it's a weave, and if it's not then they must be mixed with that good hair.:rolleyes: But, I don't really blame them for thinking that .. because for some that's all they know, they've never been properly educated or informed.

Galadriel

Reminds me of the time I dropped the kids of at the babysitter and went to the hairstylist. I had gotten a wash and press and even told the babysitter that was what I planned to get done. So when I come to pick up the kids her hand shoots into my hair and checks for a weave (didn't I say I got a wash and press? Not a weave? :lachen:).

OT: Kelle, cute siggy pics :yep:

Simply_Kelz

Reminds me of the time I dropped the kids of at the babysitter and went to the hairstylist. I had gotten a wash and press and even told the babysitter that was what I planned to get done. So when I come to pick up the kids her hand shoots into my hair and checks for a weave (didn't I say I got a wash and press? Not a weave? :lachen:).

OT: Kelle, cute siggy pics :yep:

Thank you!

Same thing happened to me in school, I told them I was taking my weave out .. I come in Monday, and get a weave check.:perplexed

~*Tigget*~

I am somewhat guilty of this. I seen a black woman at the store yesterday, hair was curled and very pretty, and I caught myself wondering was it hers??:rolleyes:

Why do we do this? Why does it matter?

My kids came home from school one day and said moma a few black girls in our school have really long hair, and the same texture as ours. They were surprised. They said one girl, wears her hair purposely in weave all year, and on occasion take it out and wear her own hair and it is sooooo long.

Again we are facinated by seeing a black person w/ long hair. Isn't that only suppose to be for other races....hmmm. We have come a long way by having boards like this and teaching one another tips to help, retain, and maintain hair. We were conditioned to believe by media, family, magazines, etc to believe we have bad nappy hair and if a black person just so happen to have some nice hair, she was mixed or had indian in her family. I think this lead us to initially think most must wear weaves if they have nice long hair. When in fact we know now it could just have been from proper maintenance, not necessarily due to 'genes'.

ajacks

I think that the assumption that most black girls wear weaves is shared by most people (black, white, asian, etc.). Wearing a weave does not make one more inclined to believe that someone else is wearing a weave, not being able to grow and retain length is more likely the reason for assuming that black women can only achieve long hair by wearing weave. I personally know a few ladies that have had short hair their whole lives, and yes they do think that women with long hair are probably wearing weaves becuase its something they feel is personally not attainable.

~*Tigget*~

I feel you OP, I hear people say that mess all the time; either it's a weave, and if it's not then they must be mixed with that good hair.:rolleyes: But, I don't really blame them for thinking that .. because for some that's all they know, they've never been properly educated or informed.

my thoughts exactly :lachen: And isn't this across the board for African Amercans, not just here where I live.....wow. We need to stop :lachen:

~*Tigget*~

I think that the assumption that most black girls wear weaves is shared by most people (black, white, asian, etc.). Wearing a weave does not make one more inclined to believe that someone else is wearing a weave, not being able to grow and retain length is more likely the reason for assuming that black women can only achieve long hair by wearing weave. I personally know a few ladies that have had short hair their whole lives, and yes they do think that women with long hair are probably wearing weaves becuase its something they feel is personally not attainable.

Agree....

Your hair looks good in your siggy, lot of growth in short period of time, Congrats.

RegaLady

I have women with long WL hair, and SL hair, and very healthy natural hair, THAT WEAR WEAVES! It really is not that serious!

Zenobia61

I have women with long WL hair, and SL hair, and very healthy natural hair, THAT WEAR WEAVES! It really is not that serious!
ITA!! To me, weaves, LF's, whatever are an OPTION which means we can wear them if we want to or not. Women have been using cosmetic enhancements for years and I am a little peeved that ONE of the black woman's style options is dissected so aggressively... I wonder if women of other races obsess so much over their options, like breast augmentations, botox injections, salon tanning, etc. :wallbash:

JustKiya

On one hand, you have to be an IDIOT to REALLY think a whole race of women has defective hair genes or something.

On the other hand... SO many black women wear weaves that it's become the norm.

Not that other women don't wear them, but we all know how popular weaves are and how common it is to see not so nice hair in black women. What are they really supposed to think?

:look: Girl, there are a mess-load of idiots out there, then, keeping it real. We have been brain-washed into believing 'nappy hair don' grow' and because of that brainwashing, it's become a self-fulfilling prophecy. :nono: Tis sad, is what it is, that so many of us still have on the blinders (even if they are merely internal) that mark us as 'failures' in such subtle ways.

I am somewhat guilty of this. I seen a black woman at the store yesterday, hair was curled and very pretty, and I caught myself wondering was it hers??:rolleyes:

Why do we do this? Why does it matter?

My kids came home from school one day and said moma a few black girls in our school have really long hair, and the same texture as ours. They were surprised. They said one girl, wears her hair purposely in weave all year, and on occasion take it out and wear her own hair and it is sooooo long.

Again we are facinated by seeing a black person w/ long hair. Isn't that only suppose to be for other races....hmmm. We have come a long way by having boards like this and teaching one another tips to help, retain, and maintain hair. We were conditioned to believe by media, family, magazines, etc to believe we have bad nappy hair and if a black person just so happen to have some nice hair, she was mixed or had indian in her family. I think this lead us to initially think most must wear weaves if they have nice long hair. When in fact we know now it could just have been from proper maintenance, not necessarily due to 'genes'.

:yep: :yep: :yep:

So many people believe - no, they KNOW - that they don't have 'good hair' because they don't have 'good genes' that the option to climb out of the box and start doing something DIFFERENT with their hair to get different results doesn't even cross their minds. :nono:

It's bloody well sad, is what it is. :nono:

cecilie

Before LHCF I was sure that most of black women with long hair have a weave , now I know that black women can grow hair but here in Belgium regrettably most of black women around me prefer weave .