Peppermint Oil and Flat Ironing

BeautyGoesDutch

Has Anyone ever flat ironed their hair with Peppermint Oil? I was at Ann's Health Food Store today and this girl had thick long natural hair and she told me that her hair stylist flat irons her hair with peppermint oil. Has anyone ever heard of this?

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
Hi :) Peppermint Oil is an essential oil and should ALWAYS be mixed with a carrier oil or you run the risk of hair breakage. I would not use this Oil to flat iron with. I mean the smell alone is enough to knock out a crowd of people. The best type of oil to use while flat ironing that will protect your hair up to 425+ degrees from the Heat is Grapeseed Oil.

manter26

I second that. Maybe she was talking about a specific product with PPO in it. I don't see how it's possible to use PPO without a carrier oil. Essential oils should be diluted before they are used.

BeautyGoesDutch

I second that. Maybe she was talking about a specific product with PPO in it. I don't see how it's possible to use PPO without a carrier oil. Essential oils should be diluted before they are used.

I know I thought she was talking about another product but nope she sprays it on her hair and they flat iron it. I thought it sounded like it would dry your hair out over time

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
I know I thought she was talking about another product but nope she sprays it on her hair and they flat iron it. I thought it sounded like it would dry your hair out over time
I think maybe it's not pure Peppermint Oil. I want to think that she mixed it with maybe EVOO or another oil. I don't even know how much of a smoke point Peppermint Oil has. Now that makes me curious.

BeautyGoesDutch

I think maybe it's not pure Peppermint Oil. I want to think that she mixed it with maybe EVOO or another oil. I don't even know how much of a smoke point Peppermint Oil has. Now that makes me curious.

:lol::lol: I know it I wanted to think it to but I was like :look: She was really nice but had that "Dont tell me what to get look.

kandake

I'm intrigued. I love the smell of peppermint.

And I didn't know that grapeseed oil was good for flat ironing. I'll take note.

CurlsBazillion

Straight up Peppermint EO? No thanks. Maybe its a product like those "argan oil" products that barely have argan oil in it...

empressri

sounds like she doesn't know what the hell she's talking about and is too...whatever to admit it.

i dont even get why anyone would flat iron their hair with peppermint eo in it...in the first place.

but okies. :rolleyes:

No way lol. The smell would be so overpowering for the amount of oil you'd need to use, must have been peppermint oil in some kind of base. Peppermint oil is like water, not oil, it's an essential oil.
I rub peppermint on my scalp sometimes.

Last edited:

Tiye

Essential oils are volatile. EO + heat tool that's hot enough might make your hair catch on fire. You also wouldn't spray pure peppermint oil on your hair. So she probably means some other sort of oil or heat protectant product with peppermint fragrance.

BeautyGoesDutch

LOL I know Ladies what we want her to use it for but she just sprays it on her hair.

She was talking to the man at the store she said "Do you have peppermint oil?
The Man "Yes we do, what might you need it for?
To Spray on my hair?
The man looks at her like o_O.....Uhhh these are for aromatherapy an essential oils to be added.
She looks at him and says" Well I take my hair stylist a empty spray bottle and while he is flat ironing my hair is just puts peppermint oil in the bottle and sprays it, but I have to buy the peppermint oil."

I know at first I was like ohhhh :lick: but then she said flat iron and my eyes started to burn :lol:

melissa-bee

Lol, I can't imagine it was straight up essential peppermint oil. That would stink. Did she smell of peppermint?
It must have been some commercial product with a peppermint scent.

LoveLongLocks

If her hair was long and thick - it must work for her.
I use peppermint, lavender, rosemary, and tea tree for different things.
I don't use it to "flat iron" my hair, but I use it on my scalp - because I love the scalp stimulation.

Curlykale

Hm interesting. Sometimes in beauty supply stores I have seen brands name oils "tea tree oil" and it was like 2 dollars for 250 ml... really? That can't be tea tree oil LOL. There are also some greases that are named castor oil or coconut oil, but they have other ingredients in them. This makes me think that maybe a person who doesn't read the ingredients or who has never tried coconut oil or peppermint oil before can easily get confused. Maybe there is a bottle full of an oil mixture with some drops of peppermint that is named "peppermint oil".

angellike

maybe she's talking about this, eden's body works was the first thing i thought of since i can't imaging flat ironing with pure peppermint oil

KurlyNinja

This website talks about how peppermint oil conditions and moisturizes. I dont know how true that is, but thats what it says.

Moisturize
Peppermint oil is routinely paired with carrier oils such as almond, castor or olive oil. You will also find peppermint oil paired with other essential oils such as lavender, jasmine or wheat germ oil. Regardless of its companion, peppermint oil is frequently used as a moisturizer for the hair shaft. All you have to do is distribute a generous amount evenly throughout your hair. Wrap hair up in a shower cap or thin towel. Place a heated towel on top. Let the heat from the outer towel penetrate through your hair for twenty to thirty minutes. You may then reap the benefits of moisture rich hair.

http://www.ehow.com/about_5114289_benefits-peppermint-oil-hair.html