permed buckwheat wants to transition!

I wanted to thank many of you that gave me encouraging words on this board.. I have not relaxed my hair for about 6 months, and believe it or not, I think the transition is going well..

The secret for my super duper coarse hair??? ( Even the hairbraider at the African hairbraiding shop was like.."You have very very very very thick hair"-- Could she have added any more "very"s to her sentence? DAG)

Aubreys HSR on newly washed- co washed hair- with a whole lot of trader -joes nourish spa... Leave in conditioner with Castor oil to seal when wet..

It amazes me how much my hair HAS NOT SHED or BROKEN at this point... and I have a lot of new growth..

If you have extremely coarse hair.. Give this a try! Trust me when I say I have coarse hair! but well defined curls.

For every one that has taken the time to encourage me in my transition...THANKs again

I have type 4 hair. And OP I will be the first to admit I too never even considered transitioning into natural because I too fell for the sterotype that my natural hair would look like sheep booty hair. It wasn't until I came to LHCF and saw all the natural beautiful ladies with all different curl patterns did I change my stereotypical view of natural hair. I stretched my relaxer a few weeks longer than normal and before you know it a few weeks became months and I transitioned to natural. While transitoning I cut my hair in a bob and cut the very nape of my neck to the natural hair line and determined what products would work well for my natural hair. I found products that softened and defined my natural curls. After three months when I was confident in my ability to manage my natural hair, and after I felt I was confident to pull off a short natural look....I just bc'd and I haven't looked back. There are some people, like my so that dosen't care for my hair being natural..but I love it! And my opinion of myself is the only opinion that matters. Hope you find this helpful. Good luck in your decision to be natural. Keep up the good work.

Last edited:
Thank you for your support! I appreciate it.

I have type 4 hair. And OP I will be the first to admit I too never even considered transitioning into natural because I too fell for the sterotype that my natural hair would look like sheep booty hair. It wasn't until I came to LHCF and saw all the natural beautiful ladies with all different curl patterns did I change my stereotypical view of natural hair. I stretched my relaxer a few weeks longer than normal and before you know it a few weeks became months and I transitioned to natural. While transitoning I cut my hair in a bob and cut the very nape of my neck to the natural hair line and determined what products would work well for my natural hair. I found products that softened and defined my natural curls. After three months when I was confident in my ability to manage my natural hair, and after I felt I was confident to pull off a short natural look....I just bc'd and I haven't looked back. There are some people, like my so that dosen't care for my hair being natural..but I love it! And my opinion of myself is the only opinion that matters. Hope you find this helpful. Good luck in your decision to be natural. Keep up the good work.

And now that I am approximately 9 weeks post, its beginning to tangle.. ( I have been using MT)

So the question? What softens 4a bRiLLo hair? I mean, the type of hair where only SUPER relaxers can be used, or the hair is just not straigtening...

and if you are a fellow brillo 4a er, that transitioned, any tips that you give will be helpful.

I have 4b hair that is quite coarse and hard in texture. I have not figured out how to soften it from the wet to dry phase (i.e., with a conditioner). However, when it is dry, I have found that hair butters have done an excellent job. Elasta mango butter; or shea butter and seal with extra virgin coconut oil.

Lastly, one of the best things I could do w/my hair is to accept the "hard" texture. When I first cut (big chop) it I couldn't grasp the idea that I could have a hard texture. I thought it was damaged. I kept cutting it shorter and shorter - to get the damage out.

Then finally, I went to a Super Kuts and the caucasian hair dresser refused to cut more hair after the hair trim/cut session when I told her she didn't get all the damage. She said, " I believe this is your texture, you shouldn't cut it for that reason; some people have a harder texture". That was the one of the best things any hairdresser has done for me. It started me on the road to acceppting my hard, strong, bold hair texture- and to begin to grow it!

I'm sorry but that right there was HILARIOUS!!!! :lachen::lachen:

Yay!! I'm glad you found something that's working for you. My hair can feel the same way you described, and the solution you found is pretty much what I do consistently! Keep up the good work!

@ Bolded :lachen::lachen::lachen:

OP, the description that you used for your hair is EXACTLY how I would describe my hair in its natural state. BRILLO.

But, I learned to work with it for years (although sometimes, I will admit, I did look like Sideshow Bob! Even now I look like Bob although I am relaxed).

When I was natural, various butters is what worked for my hair.

HTH and congratulations on finding what works for you.

Last edited:
Back