Phyto Users - Index 1 or 2?? (long)

junipertree

I have a question for all the Phyto users...Two weeks ago I got my first Phyto touch-up with Index 2. My original dilemma with choosing a new relaxer was that my hair is extremely dry, shedding, and breaking and I wanted something mild. I really liked how my hair came out with the Phyto but now, two weeks later, I am still suffering from extreme dryness, shedding, and breakage. I am used to my hair being very stiff when shampooing during a touch up but it still feels this way when I shampoo. :confused: And after getting a dominican blow out last week where I used Vatikir oil as a pre-poo treatment AND deep conditioned with Salerm my hair was still soooo dry. The breakage and shedding has continued and for the dryness I had to put more oil on my hair which made it flat and greasy looking. I don't know if I will ever get my hair to be moist without a lot of product in it. :( Yesterday I washed with Nutrine Garlic Shampoo (for the breakage and shedding), did an Emergencee treatment (again for the breakage and shedding), followed with a PM Supercharge/Humectress mix deep condition (for moisturizing), then dried in a bun after Surging, oiling my scalp with WGO, and massaging woojee and lotion motion #9 in my hair to couneteract the dryness associated with Surging. I plan on keeping my hair in a bun during the week with little manipulation and just oiling it at night. Here are my questions:

1) Should I switch to Phyto Index 1? Maybe the Index 1 is to strong for my hair which is thin strands?
2) Am I overdoing it with my regimen? I just started it but is there anything I should do differently?
Any advice will be greatly appreciated! THX

If you are 2C with fine strand I would suggest index 1. From what I read into your post, you shouldn't rely on the relaxer to fix your breakage and dryness issues. I would suggest that you first take care of the dryness issue because that will help a lot with the breakage. To help ease the dryness I would suggest that you co wash at least twice a week and only shampoo every other week if you feel like your hair needs it. I find that the conditioners that I use remove product buildup from my hair really good. Just be sure to condition your hair twice not once when do your co wash regardless if you use many products in between. What I do is use a light protein for the first conditioner and a moisturizer as the second one. Also adding a little bit of moisturizing conditioner to your leave-in helps to keep your hair from drying. That helps especially if you tend to forget to moisturize daily. The times that I shampoo I do a deep conditioner treament, usually a hard protein. After a couple of weeks of doing this your hair should start to recover. HTH

Keen said:
If you are 2C with fine strand I would suggest index 1. From what I read into your post, you shouldn't rely on the relaxer to fix your breakage and dryness issues. I would suggest that you first take care of the dryness issue because that will help a lot with the breakage. To help ease the dryness I would suggest that you co wash at least twice a week and only shampoo every other week if you feel like your hair needs it. I find that the conditioners that I use remove product buildup from my hair really good. Just be sure to condition your hair twice not once when do your co wash regardless if you use many products in between. What I do is use a light protein for the first conditioner and a moisturizer as the second one. Also adding a little bit of moisturizing conditioner to your leave-in helps to keep your hair from drying. That helps especially if you tend to forget to moisturize daily. The times that I shampoo I do a deep conditioner treament, usually a hard protein. After a couple of weeks of doing this your hair should start to recover. HTH
Thanks Keen!
No, I wasn't using the relaxer to combat the dryness/breakage - just wanted something that would not ADD to it. But...I think you are right. Usually my hair is at its healthiest when I just condition, condition, condition. Unfortunately that is usually olnly in the summertime when I do less blowouts and more "wash and wear" with loads of leave-in conditioners. I think I will switch to the Index 1 for my next touch up.
THX!

Keen said:
BTW - What would be a "light" protein? What do you use for conditioners in your regimen?
Thx

I suggest you go with Index 1 if you have fine strands! I notice that when I use Woo Jee cream by Surge it dries my hair out!!! I also agree with Keen's suggestions!

I used Index 1 for the first time for my last touch-up. I have fine texture hair and Index 1 is for fine hair so that's why I chose it. It did not get my hair bone straight but I no longer want bone straight hair. I don't think that is wise for my hair type.I used to always have shedding with Affirm but did not have it with Phyto.

Do you think Index 2 would make your hair shed? Could it be over processing instead?

Doesn't seem like you are overdoing it with the washing routine. Are you using shampoo each time? Maybe you could try Conditioner Washes. What about a good daily leave-in moisturizer.

lkg4healthyhair said:
I used Index 1 for the first time for my last touch-up. I have fine texture hair and Index 1 is for fine hair so that's why I chose it. It did not get my hair bone straight but I no longer want bone straight hair. I don't think that is wise for my hair type.I used to always have shedding with Affirm but did not have it with Phyto.

Do you think Index 2 would make your hair shed? Could it be over processing instead?

Doesn't seem like you are overdoing it with the washing routine. Are you using shampoo each time? Maybe you could try Conditioner Washes. What about a good daily leave-in moisturizer.
I don't know if it was the Phyto - I was shedding before so I can't blame it on that for sure. I mean, if I overprocessed for my touchup prior to the Phyto touchup (which was five months before and I do suspect was overprocessed) will the shedding continue and how do you "fix" overprocessed hair? I really think Phyto is the relaxer for me but I think I will switch to Index 1. I get a Dominican blowout once a week which gets my hair pretty straight on its own. What did you use pior to using Phyto?

joonbug320 said:
I don't know if it was the Phyto - I was shedding before so I can't blame it on that for sure. I mean, if I overprocessed for my touchup prior to the Phyto touchup (which was five months before and I do suspect was overprocessed) will the shedding continue and how do you "fix" overprocessed hair? I really think Phyto is the relaxer for me but I think I will switch to Index 1. I get a Dominican blowout once a week which gets my hair pretty straight on its own. What did you use pior to using Phyto?

I used Affirm (sensitive/dry hair) for years prior to Phyto. The picture in my avatar is after getting Phyto and my roots blown out. My hair looks just as straight as when I used to get it bone straight except when it is wet I can see the difference, and it seems stronger with the Phyto.

I really concentrated on babying my hair after my last relaxer so I did weekly light protein treatments with Aubrey's GPB protein conditioner (I really love this). I put it on dry hair for 15 mins then shampoo and use a moist conditioner like NTM mask while in the shower and this works for me.

To "fix" the shedding I would suggest Emergencee treatments. I actually alternated with Emergencee one week then Keraphix the next (GPB is just as good).

I workout daily so I wash my hair a lot and it can get very dry. So I started with Conditioner washes and will just use shampoo once a week. For moisture I use NTM leave in as a daily moisturizer (night and day). For my ends I use Elasta Mango and then roll my ends at night (one roller). They are smooth the next day. Now when I airdry in a bun I use Giovanni Direct on my hair and ends (I really like this product).

lkg4healthyhair said:
I used Affirm (sensitive/dry hair) for years prior to Phyto. The picture in my avatar is after getting Phyto and my roots blown out. My hair looks just as straight as when I used to get it bone straight except when it is wet I can see the difference, and it seems stronger with the Phyto.

I really concentrated on babying my hair after my last relaxer so I did weekly light protein treatments with Aubrey's GPB protein conditioner (I really love this). I put it on dry hair for 15 mins then shampoo and use a moist conditioner like NTM mask while in the shower and this works for me.

To "fix" the shedding I would suggest Emergencee treatments. I actually alternated with Emergencee one week then Keraphix the next (GPB is just as good).

I workout daily so I wash my hair a lot and it can get very dry. So I started with Conditioner washes and will just use shampoo once a week. For moisture I use NTM leave in as a daily moisturizer (night and day). For my ends I use Elasta Mango and then roll my ends at night (one roller). They are smooth the next day. Now when I airdry in a bun I use Giovanni Direct on my hair and ends (I really like this product).
Thanks for the tips! I started doing prety much of everything you suggested so I'll just wait and see if I get results! I love GPB also! I am going to try to get the Giovanni Direct today (after that, no more products - I have really gone crazy this month $$) I used the Emergencee just yesterday so hopefully by my next wash I will see less shedding/breakage. I'll keep u posted!

joonbug320 said:
BTW - What would be a "light" protein? What do you use for conditioners in your regimen?
Thx

I love Lekair cholesterol with aloe for light protein and NTM conditioner mask for moisturizing. I also alternate with Garnier Fructus long and strong conditioner. For leave in I use NTM leave in and alternate with Garnier Fructus leave-in treatment. For the most part that is it.

I am so glad you posted this because, I just recently relaxed with Phyto Index 2 and while I loved the results, I was wondering if it was too strong for my hair. I think next time I will use Index 1.

Joon -- i'm sorry to hear about your difficulties, but you have certainly gotten some great advice -- I think I will try to follow some of it with the products that I have. I so want to order some of the Giovanni, but I am on the no new products challenge (reforming pj). I saw your pictures -- beautiful hair -- your hair doesn't appear dry, but you know better than anyone. HHG

Thanks Vickyd! My hair doesn't look dry because I usually put shine serum - like Rusk Sheer Brilliance polisher - and Nexxus Botanoil after I get a blow out. The problem is, I have to carry the Rusk with me and constantly put a few drops on my hair to prevent frizzing and I think that although it makes your hair "look" shiny I'm starting to think it dries it out. The Botanoil is great but it's a little thicker so then I get a lot of product build-up and my hair falls FLAT. When I wear my hair natural I put lots of leave in so it doesn't look dry but if I air dry without product it is frizz-city!

joonbug320 said:
Thanks Keen!
Usually my hair is at its healthiest when I just condition, condition, condition. Unfortunately that is usually olnly in the summertime when I do less blowouts and more "wash and wear" with loads of leave-in conditioners.

Joon, maybe it's the weekly blowouts that are drying/shedding/breaking your hair? Do they blowout all of your hair everytime? Maybe you should just get the roller set and then wrap it? It seems like a lot of heat to me, especially since those dryers are so hot.

Maybe you're right. :eek: They do blow it out all the way. And she really pulls and blows it out over and over, section by section. So it gets super straight but then what good is that if the next day it's like dry straw? :confused: I will just let her blow out the roots from now on and then wrap it. I guess I always thought if I put enough protectants in my hair before I got blow out it would combat the dryness. But you are right - those dryers are way to hot! Thanks ;)

Last edited:
The only other thing I would add is how many times a day do you moisturize? I have very dry hair too (well did before LHCF) and I have to moisturize twice a day, but then again my hair is always "oily" (or well-oiled as I prefer to think of it) because I seem to need that to retain my moisture.

beloved1 said:
The only other thing I would add is how many times a day do you moisturize? I have very dry hair too (well did before LHCF) and I have to moisturize twice a day, but then again my hair is always "oily" (or well-oiled as I prefer to think of it) because I seem to need that to retain my moisture.
I usually would "moisturize" in the morning and throughout the day - and what I mean by "moisturize" would usually be a few drops of Botanoil to control frizz and keep shine. But that's what i was saying - is there any way to maintain moisture without having "oily" hair? The only other way I am able to do this is when I dry naturally and leave in a lot of conditioner (like Humectress). Then and only then my hair is not dry and not oily. I do this mostly in the summer.

joonbug320 said:
But that's what i was saying - is there any way to maintain moisture without having "oily" hair?

I've been using Elasta QP Recovery for my daily moisturizer. Oil is not a moisturizer. It just seals in moisture. So oil on "unmoisturized" hair is really pointless IMHO. For me, the Elasta is adding moisture without weighing my hair down. Like you though, my hair is ultra-moisturized when I wear a bun or any style that I can put a lot of moisturizer on.

I tried to get this today but I mistakenly bought Elasta Leave-in Moisture Sealing Conditioner :ohwell: . I'm going to look for the Recovery since the Elasta QP products are so inexpensive it won't hurt to buy another product (this is coming from an extreme PJ :grin: )

joonbug320 said:
Thanks Vickyd! My hair doesn't look dry because I usually put shine serum - like Rusk Sheer Brilliance polisher - and Nexxus Botanoil after I get a blow out. The problem is, I have to carry the Rusk with me and constantly put a few drops on my hair to prevent frizzing and I think that although it makes your hair "look" shiny I'm starting to think it dries it out. The Botanoil is great but it's a little thicker so then I get a lot of product build-up and my hair falls FLAT. When I wear my hair natural I put lots of leave in so it doesn't look dry but if I air dry without product it is frizz-city![/QUOTE]'

Joonbug...I hope your hair problems can slowly be rectified.

You confused me a lil with this statement...when u wear your hair natural...if you are relaxed....you are not natural...just wanted to get that clarified.

I use Phyto, Index 2...I have thin, fine hair. I have no problem with it.
I use Surge Woogee Cream for my moisturizer. It's been wonderful to my hair, going to try the Elasta QP Oil Recovery to see if I can use in addition to that.

I believe in moisture, conditioning and little to no heat on my hair. (You might really want to lay off all the blowdrying for awhile and invest some time with a hot oil treatment and some deep conditioning).

You may also want to cut back some on using a lot of product on your hair at one time...as if they do not compliment each other...it may be having the opposite effect you want...and contributing to the drying out of your hair.
(I'm confused on the botonoil usage, I thought that was a poo.)

Just throwing in my two cents cause my behind couldn't hold it in anymore....

MonaLisa said:
joonbug320 said:
Thanks Vickyd! My hair doesn't look dry because I usually put shine serum - like Rusk Sheer Brilliance polisher - and Nexxus Botanoil after I get a blow out. The problem is, I have to carry the Rusk with me and constantly put a few drops on my hair to prevent frizzing and I think that although it makes your hair "look" shiny I'm starting to think it dries it out. The Botanoil is great but it's a little thicker so then I get a lot of product build-up and my hair falls FLAT. When I wear my hair natural I put lots of leave in so it doesn't look dry but if I air dry without product it is frizz-city![/QUOTE]'

Joonbug...I hope your hair problems can slowly be rectified.

You confused me a lil with this statement...when u wear your hair natural...if you are relaxed....you are not natural...just wanted to get that clarified.

I use Phyto, Index 2...I have thin, fine hair. I have no problem with it.
I use Surge Woogee Cream for my moisturizer. It's been wonderful to my hair, going to try the Elasta QP Oil Recovery to see if I can use in addition to that.

I believe in moisture, conditioning and little to no heat on my hair. (You might really want to lay off all the blowdrying for awhile and invest some time with a hot oil treatment and some deep conditioning).

You may also want to cut back some on using a lot of product on your hair at one time...as if they do not compliment each other...it may be having the opposite effect you want...and contributing to the drying out of your hair.
(I'm confused on the botonoil usage, I thought that was a poo.)

Just throwing in my two cents cause my behind couldn't hold it in anymore....
Clarifications...
When I said natural I meant not blow dried - my mistake.
I also meant "Nexxus Botanic Oil" not "Botanoil"
I don't know yet if the products compliment each other - I've just started this regimen. It seems to be helping so far.
Thanks for the tips!

joonbug320 said:
MonaLisa said:
Clarifications...
When I said natural I meant not blow dried - my mistake.
I also meant "Nexxus Botanic Oil" not "Botanoil"
I don't know yet if the products compliment each other - I've just started this regimen. It seems to be helping so far.
Thanks for the tips!

Oh, okay...lol.

if it's working for you, stick with it for awhile...
Good Luck!!!!:)

Back