Pic Request- Box Braids and Cornrows WITHOUT extensions

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
@Poohbear
and
ms-gg

thanks dolls!

Can you also tell me how long it took to install? and how long these styles lasted?

I am trying to plan accordingly because I want to do my braids this weekend.

your input would be greatly appreciated!

You're welcome! It took me about 4 hours I think to do the boxbraids. I'm sure this style would have lasted longer before I took it down 3-4 days later. I didn't like how boxbraids looked on me. They would curve up and shrink and I didn't like how they showed my scalp and parts. So that was the last time I ever wore boxbraids. If my hair was way thicker and longer, I would sport them.

Not sure about the cornrows...my mom did those for me. I think I took those down after a few days as well. I get bored with styles quickly. :grin:

manter26

Pooks beautiful braids. I can't wait until mine get that long. I just watched your tut on mini braids and I happen to do mine the same way. I think it's very important to work on stretched dry hair and to work in sections, so it doesn't get overwhelming. I'll have to try the upwards canerows next time.

I don't know how I've never found your YT channel. I subbed!

WyrdWay

I was planning on twisting now I'm gonna braid my hair up :( i'd sworn it off cause they take so ong to b take down and mine get so frizzy so fast. But all of these pictures have given me the itch.

hairsothick

Black and Magical

I only braided halfway down when I did these, so that is why you can only see the braids on the top when it is down. It made it full and I could do wash and go styles without detangling.

I plan to revisit these soon, but I'm going to braid further down.

PPGbubbles

I only braided halfway down when I did these, so that is why you can only see the braids on the top when it is down. It made it full and I could do wash and go styles without detangling.

I plan to revisit these soon, but I'm going to braid further down.

Thank you for sharing! I am prepping my hair for the braids now.

If any ladies have any pics please share :)

ajargon02

Ladies I need some inspiration.

I want to try box braids and/or cornrows with natural hair sans extensions.

Please post pics of your own hair or links to videos anything that can be helpful.

My main concern is creative parting and placement since I am a fine hair natural med density

I want to be more creative with my protective styles and want to avoid fake hair.

So, please help!.....pretty pretty please with sugar on top :grin:

ETA: Please answer the following
how long did the style take?
How long did the style last you?

I don't have pics but prettydimples01 on youtube does:

PRETTYDIMPLES01 - BOX BRAIDS INSTALL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYnIlcHuj18
curling braids: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyCBWYZj3ZA
You can go to her channel to see other styles she does :D

sunshower143
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdW0Edzxtio

This link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdW0Edzxtio&feature=watch_response will pull up a BUNCH of yt vids on box braids without extensions. You can just search that at yt as well.

Her channel: KinkyKurlyQueen is GREAT!
naturallyobsessed.onsugar.com
KinkyKurlyQueen's Channel

Box braids install: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrjc1DNA6Eg
washing box braids: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvYwvWeewpA

ms-gg

Aka frostoppa
Can you also tell me how long it took to install? and how long these styles lasted?

No prob. It takes me on average around 6-8 hours to do my braids. They can last anywhere from 2-6 weeks for me. I like to leave them in longer than I do twists because they take so dang long to put in.

Mook's hair

Oh ladies, these styles are calling out to me as I sit here with conditioner in my hair.

Time to make a choice. will it be box or cornrows?

And here's my contributions.

Leeda.the.Paladin

Thank you KCcurly

How long do you keep your box braids in for? and how long did it take you to braid your hair?

Sorry I missed this some kind of way!

It took me around 6-8 hours maybe? I kept them in about 3 weeks. Next time I will be more careful around my edges as I got some bad breakage from not gathering enough hair at the hairline.

PPGbubbles

Pooks

I did the braids. I posted in the everyday hair but I forgot to put them here.

I did some cornrows in the front to make sure the braids framed my face. I actually like them. they are not as scalpy as I thought they would be. I plan to keep them bunned for the most part.

It took me about 6 hours to get them done and I plan to keep them for about 3 weeks.

I trully thank you all for your input the advice and pic really helped

Attachments

• braids full back view.jpg
    braids full back view.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 75
  • braids back view.jpg
    braids back view.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 73
  • Braids side view.jpg
    Braids side view.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 75
  • braids top view.jpg
    braids top view.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 63

PPGbubbles

ajargon02
You know you are awesome right! thank you for the links :grin:

Mook's hair

Thank you for the contributions! I may rock some twist after this so thank you for the style lady :)

KCcurly
Thanks for the input I did the mini cornrow after your warning because my edged are a lil weak, so thank you!

TraciChanel

Your hair is absolutely GORGEOUS. I can't believe you can do that yourself! Now that's a gift! :drunk:

Oh ladies, these styles are calling out to me as I sit here with conditioner in my hair.

Time to make a choice. will it be box or cornrows?

And here's my contributions.

TraciChanel

They turned out very pretty! You've inspired me to get some...I think I'll wait till the summer, though. :)
@Pooks

I did some cornrows in the front to make sure the braids framed my face. I actually like them. they are not as scalpy as I thought they would be. I plan to keep them bunned for the most part.

It took me about 6 hours to get them done and I plan to keep them for about 3 weeks.

Pooks

@Pooks

They look good! You never know, you may be able to keep them in even longer. Low manipulation = BSL quickly! :yep: haha. You're welcome!

PPGbubbles

They look good! You never know, you may be able to keep them in even longer. Low manipulation = BSL quickly! :yep: haha. You're welcome!

The bolded is what I am looking for! APL is boring me I what real length.

And I dont want to be bothered with my hair while I am excersing.

Fine 4s

Here are the ones I did a couple of years ago. I loved them!

Attachments

• IMG_3235.JPG
    IMG_3235.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_3236.JPG
    IMG_3236.JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_3237.JPG
    IMG_3237.JPG
    112.5 KB · Views: 79

Sianna

I've made but one attempt at this.

I hated the results though, and ended up wasting all that hard work by taking the braids down the next day. :ohwell:

Maybe I'll try again in a few months...

davisbr88

I love that they look better as they get older. They're less scalpy and they hands just right without having to be pinned or slept on a certain way. These things are pretty sweet.