Pin curls instead of wrapping?

Nice

For all the ladies that pin curl their hair at night, please reveal your method and what you use to secure the curl. I tried it once before with bobby pins but when I remove the pins I tear my hair out .

If there is post on how to pin curl, please point me in the right direction. I did a search and couldn't find it.

nita4

Hi Nice, I used to use pin curls to maintain my hair. I used the bobby pins too, but you have to kind of lift them out of your hair because they will tear your hair out. Back in the day, after shampooing and using a curling iron, I would take the curl and wrap it around my finger and pin in place at the scalp with a bobby pin. That was it. Nothing special. Worked pretty well to from what I can remember.

Isis

I haven't tried this but it seems like Good Hair Day pins will work better for pin curls than bobby pins since they don't pull the hair out.

ElizaBlue

I just started doing this a couple of nights ago. It's kind of hit and miss until you figure out which direction to curl. Otherwise your curls could come out looking like spikes or just not in the right direction. I'm just trying it to give my nape a rest.

lonei

There is a picture of what pin curls look like and instructions of how to do them on this website. Go to search and in the username section type 'CaramelHonee' and in the time scale bracket select 'older than '2'(or so?) months'. There you will find a thread called 'I just did an Amazing Roller set'. Go to page 11 on that thread and the picture will appear under caramelhonnes name. It shows both what the pin curls look like and what they can look like when you take them down. Please note that when I do my pin curls, I don't comb out my ringlets, I just grease my scalp and pin them as they are in the picture. I think that caramel has combed out her curls after the roller set but before she pin curls it. Therefore, what i am trying to say is that when I take mine down they are ringlets whereas hers is a fairly straight style with a curl at the end. ANYWAY, for instructions on how to do it go to page 12 of that same thread and I think caramel bumps it for you to select. The instructions are on page 1 of this thread and its called 'how do you keep your curls'. There are two methods, i use the one that is called 'slinky' in that the curls are pinned down to your head like in the picture. I love going out with this style, people are often intigued about how its done and its hassle free. You may or may not like it, PM me as soon as you've seen it. Hope this has been of some help By the way, is your hair relaxed and if so what length is it?

lonei

I am so sorry, i got so carried away with describing the method that i didn't really answer your initial questions!!! Ok, usually I use one pin per curl but if its really big then I may have to use two or three, one on each side. I use motions leave in and Fantasia IC Hair polisher to set the hair (it's like keracare silken seal) on rollers. It generally elicits a natural sheen. When its dry, I grease my scalp using ORS Olive oil scalp hairdress and spary it if necessary with the ORS Olive oil spray. I then tye it down with a silk scarf and go to bed. It can take 10 mins to 30 mins depedning on how many curls you have and how neat you want the pin curls to look. Get back to me when you can. Also I have just found a post entitled Pin Curls, (do a search) this explains how to do larger ones to produce more free curls.

nita4

Yes, I pin curled at night. You do have to figure out which direction to turn the curl so that your hair comes out looking right. Not sure why I stopped using pin curls?? I was always breaking one side of my hair off. But, I think that is because it was so darn dry back then. The Caruso steam rollers work well too.

ElizaBlue

Thank you so much. That was very informative, now I know exactly what I was doing wrong. I don't know why but I have always loved these "vintage" styles. They just seem to fit my hair perfectly. My hair when pin curled just looks naturally wavy, although we are far far from that.