PINK OIL NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Softresses

Ladies PLEASE RALLY TO THE RESCUE!!!! I have a coworker whose daughter is biracial. She has beautiful (well-potential to be more beautiful) CURLY hair. My coworker is Caucasian and does not know what to do with it. She uses the dreaded PINK OIL (insert regurgitation here)!

Pretty please list some good advise for my friend's daughter.
Her hair is a 3b looking type. The curls are about 1/2" to 3/4" in diameter, and her hair is DRY!

She gets picked on at school and is reaching that very tender, ready to date age.

Any regimes, websites, good advice is graciously accepted.

Softresses

littleaudie

It really depends on what she's willing to spend. On the less expensive side she could try Aussie products (3min miracle, the detangler,)
for moisture she might want to try elasta qp recovery.

For websites I would refer her to www.janecartersolution.com

they have my favorite products, nourish and shine/condition and sculpt

for styling options you can also tell her to look ar www.curve-salon.com

~*~ShopAholic~*~

For moisture Africa's best tea tree and shea butter, BB castor oil moisturizer, or just some plain 'ole shea butter will do. and she can seal the moisture w/some EVOO or Coconut oil. that's simple and inexpensive. As far poo's I love Nexxus Therapee and Humectress, or she can go w/CON it's inexpensive and works great for most just not for me. The moisture is good but the residue it leaves I'm not with, it could just be my families hair though. HTH's

Softresses

Thank you Littleaudie and Beautifulwideyes! I am going to email her all the advice this afternoon and call her later. I am sure she is going to be on the somewhat conservative side as far a spending goes.

Thanks too for the websites! I hope her daughter will save them and use them as she learns to care for her own hair.

Softresses

Softresses

Hi Shellz,

It does nothing but dry my hair BADLY, and it also dries up my friend's daughter's hair.

I am glad it works for you though. Do you use anything else with it?

Softresses

Miss*Tress

BeautifulWideEyes said:
As far poo's I love Nexxus Therapee and Humectress, or she can go w/CON it's inexpensive and works great for most just not for me. The moisture is good but the residue it leaves I'm not with, it could just be my families hair though. HTH's
It's not just you. CON does moisturize well, but after 2 weeks my head is full of gunk.

Candy_C

but pink oil isn't bad for everyone :perplexed

they used 2 use it on my hair b4 blowdrying. and it was lovely. it went wrong when i used heat every day..

diffrent folks diffrent strokes

kegbire27

littleaudie said:
It really depends on what she's willing to spend. On the less expensive side she could try Aussie products (3min miracle, the detangler,)

I agree with the Jane Carter Solution products. I love them. This is the only line of products I use on my hair.

CinnaMocha

I remember the days of pink oil, did nothing but make my hands extremely greasy and my hair limp. I hope she does try some of the suggestions (with trial comes error and then she can be the judge of what works).

shellzfoshizzle

Candy_C said:
but pink oil isn't bad for everyone :perplexed

they used 2 use it on my hair b4 blowdrying. and it was lovely. it went wrong when i used heat every day..

diffrent folks diffrent strokes

ITA. It works for me but may not work for someone else. I don't see why everyone hates this product. Is it because it contains mineral oil? This product has been around for a while and I like it. I use Pink Oil Light though. Not the original because it's too heavy. I don't see what's so bad about it.

blueabyss333

littleaudie said:

they have my favorite products, nourish and shine/condition and sculpt

for styling options you can also tell her to look ar www.curve-salon.com

I agree too on JCS.

Jewell

I don't know what the big deal is over Pink Oil Moisturizer. I used it for years and I never had a problem with dryness. I don't use it anymore cuz I found better products but it never did my hair wrong, and actually kept my doobie wraps soft and shiny. Anyway, I use Profectiv Long N Healthy as a moisturizer on dry hair...its thick and heavy like Moisture Max Oil Moisturizer, but it really moisturizes all day. Yeah, it does depend on what she wants to spend. My mom uses the Optimum Oil Therapy line (yellow bottles) and it works nicely on her hair...its relaxed. NTM, Aussie, and Nexxus are good too.

Softresses

Thank you ladies for all of your replies, Please keep them coming. I will give her ALL the info and let her and her mom work up a good regime for her.

I understand about things working differently for different people. I wash my hair everyday, people think I am crazy but it works for me.

Shellz, I didn't know about a Pink Oil Light, maybe that makes the difference.

Thanks again for all the advice, websites etc.

Keep it coming!

Softresses

Lady_Lioness

CinnaMocha said:
I remember the days of pink oil, did nothing but make my hands extremely greasy and my hair limp. I hope she does try some of the suggestions (with trial comes error and then she can be the judge of what works).
I remember the pink oil did the same 4 me...it just sat there...no pentration whatsoever...I also remember it breaking me out.:nono:

Cooyah

pure castor oil works great as well and you can get it online and some ladies get it from walmart for about $2

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
kegbire27 said:
I agree with the Jane Carter Solution products. I love them. This is the only line of products I use on my hair.

Can u please tell me more about those Jane Carter products? Your hair is very lovely.

UmSumayyah

naturallycurly.com

My daughter has 3b hair. I wash it about 3x a week. Twice with just conditioner, once with shampoo and conditioner. I use Suave Milk N'Honey, VO5 Honey and Almond, stuff like that. I get away with using Suave Shampoo since I only use it once a week.
I comb her hair while it is wet with the conditioner. After rinsing I squeeze it dry (all of her hair together in a ponytail. I don't rub). Then I spray in a little Pantene leave in conditioner and coconut oil and put it in a ponytail. The coconut oil is very moisturizing and is great for curly hair.
If she is wearing her hair out I mix a little conditioner with an equal amount of medium hold gel and comb it thru her hair while it is still damp. Her hair is then not touched so it can dry curly.

If your friend's daughter is not coloring her hair or using alot of heat a similar regimen should work fine for her. I wouldn't recommend specialty (read: expensive) products unless its really necessary.

Last edited:

Softresses

Thanks Umsumayyah,

This sounds like a routine that they may be able to afford without any hardship!!! She seems to like to wear it out and curly.

Softresses

UmSumayyah

Glad I could help. Oh and I meant to say I wash it 2x with just conditioner, 1x with conditioner and shampoo. In the summer when she was swimming I washed every day. Your friends daughter could easily do that as well. I'd use conditioner 6x and shampoo 1x if I did that.

The conditoner + gel mix is my own "frizz cream". She could just buy an anti-frizz cream if she finds it easier. Wouldn't be as cheap though, esp. if she is using it everyday.

I'd also recommend a wide-toothed seamless comb.

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
My friend uses pure jojoba oil on my god daughter's 3b/c hair while its damp. When it dries her hair is soft and shiny. At first she was using pink oil too. When I was over there I threw that stuff out and gave her the pure jojoba and unrefined coconut oil. Now that's all she uses.

The light pink oil worked ok if applied to my hair damp but I stopped using it when I found better products. Originally pink oil was supposed to used for people with jheri curls. They should have stopped making it when the jheri curl went out of style. :ohwell:

Softresses

Thanks again Ladies!!! You are awesome.

She will be sporting the cutest, moist, healthy, curls before long!!! She is a very pretty girl and my heart breaks at the thought of cruel school children picking on her!

I have emailed her mom all of the advice and all of the websites. I will get to talk to Cindy (her mom) tomorrow.

Thanks again

Softresses