Please give BEST RELAXER recommendations

atlien

Atlien,
Wow, this is cool!! I never did understand how some ladies said they would leave the relaxer on for 15-20 min. tops for the whole head and its impossible to apply to the whole head at once. LOL!! I am slow as molasses. I will have to try this because it doesn't take long for a relaxer to get my hair straight. I really want to try out the texlaxing because bone straight is not good on my fine/thin hair. :nono:

Hey cuz.....Try it out! I think the half method is healthier for the hair. Get yourself a water sprayer to attach to your faucet. It makes rinsing out the relaxer easier and your able to get certain areas without wetting the back part.

CHEEKQUEEN

^^Atlien,
Cool, I will try this method at my next relaxer. Pray for me girl, I don't get my next relaxer until June 7th (6 month stretch). Thanks for the info!!

**I have always used Dark and Lovely regular(no-lye) and my hair seemed to stay dry. I now use ORS lye and my hair is always soft and moisturized. ORS is the only relaxer that didn't burn my scalp too. :yep:

gymfreak336

Yup...I start with the front first after applying, I wash it, neutralize it, and leave conditoner on it while I am doing the back.
While I am doing the front, I put a plastic conditioning cap on the back part with pins to secure it so it don't get wet.

Thanks. I will try that. I am approaching 11 weeks now with just 10 days left to go although my hair hasn't given me major issues yet.

Islandgurrl

As of yesterday - 3/1, I am 11 weeks post. The front of my hair is ok, but the middle and the back - let me tell you the new growth is something fierce. I'm going to wash and treat my hair today and will perm my hair next week - I plan on self-relaxing but I am still undecided what perm I will use, it will be the first time in a long time that I am self-relaxing. Pray for me :look:

sweetpeadst

I use Affirm Fibeguard for Sensitive Scalp with Aveda's Dry Remedy (Professional Use only) mixed in makes my hair feel good bet not bone straight!:grin:

MonaLisa

I still love Phyto--Index II (despite MonaLisa's campaign:yep:) because it does not burn my scalp and my hair is strong and well moisturized. Scalp burns are my biggest issue with relaxers and I doubt I'll ever switch from Phyto for this reason alone.

*I swear I just busted out laughing... :lol:*

:hug2:

*You know Phyto is my ish & I ain't neva switchin...I just can't promote it no mo...I just can't - there are heads that can still be saved from the devil relaxer...:yep:*

MonaLisa

Yup...I start with the front first after applying, I wash it, neutralize it, and leave conditoner on it while I am doing the back.
While I am doing the front, I put a plastic conditioning cap on the back part with pins to secure it so it don't get wet.

I think I'm going to try this for the spring touch up :yep:
Good breakdown/explanation cuz:grin:

Rapunzel2B

I love Affirm Sensitive Scalp, which is no lye of course. I have been using it now for about 2 1/2 years. This has been a great relaxer for my hair and it's never been as healthy with a relaxer since switching to this. I have never burned with this. In November, Affirm with lye was applied at a salon and it was only on for about 5 minutes and burned so bad it had to be rinsed out immediately. I am going to stick with what works best for me. This is where I purchased Affirm Sensitive Scalp: The customer service was great and I received it lickety split. They also were much more reasonable then all the other places I reasearched.

http://www.irbysbeautysupply.com/Affirm.html?tp=CONTINUE+SHOPPING

Here is also an older post on some ladies experiences with Affirm: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=43891

This is also a thread on Affirm. Some are of the opinion that it thins hair. Before I found LHCF my hair was so paper thin. One stylist told me that if I didn't stop getting relaxer I was going to go bald. My hair has thickened up so much since finding the proper relaxer, finding LHCF and learning to properly care for my hair.

I know this is a lot of information, but I hope this helps.

LJBFly

I use Silk Elements. I love it, it gets my hair so soft and straight. I only relax my hair every 3 months so I don't have to worry about it thinning out my hair. I also love that the price is so reasonable.

Rapunzel2B

I use Silk Elements. I love it, it gets my hair so soft and straight. I only relax my hair every 3 months so I don't have to worry about it thinning out my hair. I also love that the price is so reasonable.

I hadn't thought of that. Maybe that's why I haven't had thinning from the Affirm Sensitive Scalp. I do stretch my relaxers at least 3 months.

homegirljiggy

my favorite is either Gentle Treatment or Soft and Beautiful (the one with the oil packets), they do the job, and my hair gets straight, even when i dont want it that straight...

LJBFly

I hadn't thought of that. Maybe that's why I haven't had thinning from the Affirm Sensitive Scalp. I do stretch my relaxers at least 3 months.

Yeah, because when I was getting my hair done every 6 weeks my hair was very flat and thin.

Wandabee

Right now my hair likes ORS. It stoped breaking after I used it and it gave a good slip through the whole process.

MadisonK

I love Affirm Sensitive Scalp, which is no lye of course. I have been using it now for about 2 1/2 years. This has been a great relaxer for my hair and it's never been as healthy with a relaxer since switching to this. I have never burned with this. In November, Affirm with lye was applied at a salon and it was only on for about 5 minutes and burned so bad it had to be rinsed out immediately. I am going to stick with what works best for me. This is where I purchased Affirm Sensitive Scalp: The customer service was great and I received it lickety split. They also were much more reasonable then all the other places I reasearched.

http://www.irbysbeautysupply.com/Affirm.html?tp=CONTINUE+SHOPPING

Here is also an older post on some ladies experiences with Affirm: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=43891

This is also a thread on Affirm. Some are of the opinion that it thins hair. Before I found LHCF my hair was so paper thin. One stylist told me that if I didn't stop getting relaxer I was going to go bald. My hair has thickened up so much since finding the proper relaxer, finding LHCF and learning to properly care for my hair.

I know this is a lot of information, but I hope this helps.

Wow! Very helpful! I checked out the webiste and they are out of stock on the sensitive scalp. Do you know if this is sold in stores? I would love to go pick one up today.

I'm wondering if this is a lot different from Silk Elements. A lot of people seem to like this one too. Hmm...

Rapunzel2B

I am pretty sure the Affirm Sensitive Scalp is not sold in stores. If I am wrong someone please correct me. I am not sure if beauty supply stores sell them.

Find a salon near you that carries Avlon products. To obtain a list of salons that sell KeraCare retail products and/or use Avlon professional products, enter a Zip Code OR
City and State in the fields below, and click the search button:

http://www.avlon.com/slocator.html

Last edited:

LJBFly

I've seen Affirm relaxer products sold in beauty supply stores and it's very expensive. There has also been debates as to whether or not it real, even though, I believe the ones I have seen were the real thing.

MadisonK

I am pretty sure the Affirm Sensitive Scalp is not sold in stores. If I am wrong someone please correct me. I am not sure if beauty supply stores sell them.

Find a salon near you that carries Avlon products. To obtain a list of salons that sell KeraCare retail products and/or use Avlon professional products, enter a Zip Code OR
City and State in the fields below, and click the search button:

http://www.avlon.com/slocator.html

Great info...thank you!

MadisonK

I've seen Affirm relaxer products sold in beauty supply stores and it's very expensive. There has also been debates as to whether or not it real, even though, I believe the ones I have seen were the real thing.

Thanks, LJBFly. I will look for it.

Tee

*I swear I just busted out laughing... :lol:*

:hug2:

*You know Phyto is my ish & I ain't neva switchin...I just can't promote it no mo...I just can't - there are heads that can still be saved from the devil relaxer...:yep:*
:lachen::lachen::lachen:

OP...I use Affrim Sensitive Scalp. It's Lye and I like it mainly because it doesnt burn. (plus it texlax the hair very well.)

Rapunzel2B

Affirm Sensitive Scalp is a no lye relaxer. You are right though it doesn't burn. (not me anyway)

:lachen::lachen::lachen:

OP...I use Affrim Sensitive Scalp. It's Lye and I like it mainly because it doesnt burn. (plus it texlax the hair very well.)

Platinum

I love Mizani Rhelaxer-Fortifying. I straightens my hair really good and it doesn't burn. My hair is so soft after I use it. I thought it was a lye relaxer because of the straightening power but it's a no-lye. I haven't wanted to use anything else since I tried it!

BotanyGrl

Hey BotanyGrl, does the Mizani Butter Blend come in lye or no-lye? I'm thinking about getting this at some point but not yet as I still have a whole tub and a half of Mizani regular lye that I'm trying to use up.
I don't believe it comes in no-lye. I didn't see any extraordinary results from this relaxer than others I've used in the past, but I'm far from a hair person. So I probably don't know what to look for, lol. But I do know that it got me bone-straight in average time and I did not suffer any burning. The no burning part may have because of the excellent application by my cousin. I may use it again in the future if I'm not broke at that time :ohwell:

Tee

Affirm Sensitive Scalp is a no lye relaxer. You are right though it doesn't burn. (not me anyway)

Well it's wasn't the Sensitive Scalp relaxer then. She used Affirm lye on me. You gonna make me call her right now.:spinning:

MonaLisa

Phyto..If it ain't broke don't try to fix it!

Off Topic: dangit daniemoy! dangit! :nono: And you're not helping my cause ya hair looks fabu! *snaps finger*

Back On Topic:

I've heard really good things about Profectiv - Babygurl and Honeydew use and my godsister just had a really good experience with ORS Olive Oil relaxer (no-lye) after I recommended that she try out.