Please help! How to acheive perfect two-strand FLAT twists.

DirtyJerzeyGirly

Video on two strand flat twists

[video=youtube;VRJv7F-n7H4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRJv7F-n7H4[/video]

When I attempt to do Two-strand Flat twists they always looks horrid and as if I had them in for months:nono: . I can do a regular two strand twists with no problem.

I have tried to do them on both wet and dry hair but they still look terrible either way. Can anyone give me some tips on how to make them look neat and crispy!

Thanks!

Mook's hair

I thought that was an excellent video. And she is giving very good detailed info as she twists it.

You must keep your hands close to the scalp as you proceed. It makes a big difference.
And you should scoop in the hair under the twist not over the twist.

Also, try applying some moisturizer first and making sure the hair is detangled.

The only thing she didn't really mention is that you should scoop in small amounts of hair as you proceed down the twist. if you scoop in too much it will not come out right.

I am very good at cornrows but it did take some practice to get accustomed to doing flat twists very neatly.

It would help if you could post a pic of how yours look that way maybe we'll be able to determine where you are going wrong.

DirtyJerzeyGirly

Hi Mook. Thanks so much for responding. BTW, I love your hair! I'm sorry I don't have any pics. Everytime I attempt to do them I just give up. The thing with me is that when I do them. They look like the flat twists in the vid, but they look so frizzy (i.e. little hairs sticking up, looks as if i didn't even detangle or smooth out my hair). Even when it's on freshly detangled hair. :(

Same thing with cornrows. I can cornrow on someone's hair and it will look gorgeous but if I do the same on me it looks horrid. I've given up on cornrows, though.

DirtyJerzeyGirly

Hi Tuff. With my ends I just twirl them around my fingers. My ends don't unravel. I honestly couldn't tell you what to put on your ends for them to stop. Perhaps rubberbands would do the trick.

curlyninjagirl

I think it just takes some practice, OP. I think I remember your last post about this. It's hard to say with words how to get it. I've been doing flat twists for years and even still my fingers "forget" and I have to unravel and start again. This usually only happens when I start over-thinking it.

Amoreofcurls

The lady gave pretty good and thorough instructions...

Here are a few extra tips,

When twisting dont slant your hands back, kept them upright, that will ensure a consistent and tight pattern...

Try doing them on dry detangled stretched hair...they tend to come out a lil more sleeker...

When you get to the base (right before it goes off scalp) cornrow it down (atleast 2x's) so it wont unravel, then go back to twisting the loose ends...

bludaydreamr

When you get to the base (right before it goes off scalp) cornrow it down (atleast 2x's) so it wont unravel, then go back to twisting the loose ends...
Ok, thanks because I wasn't sure what to do, so i'll try it.

I don't put anything on the end of my twists, the ends don't unravel. The thing about flat twists, is that the hair twisted at your roots does become unkempt after about 4-5 days because unlike cornrows, they aren't as secure. HTH
Ok, thanks!

TruMe

For me, I still have some relaxed ends so after twisting all the way down I have to roll the ends around a flexirod. But, while I am doing the twists, I just wrap each new section around a clip until I am finished and then I will go back and wrap the ends. This took me awhile to learn how to do them like my hairstylist and know she couldn't even tell last time I went to her as she asked me "Did you just take down the twists I did?" LOL, Me - "NO, girl that was 2 weeks ago. I wasn't walking around with flat twists on my head for that THAT long."

I've never done them on dry hair though, I just figured it would last me longer if I did them on wet hair with some product for hold (Miss Jessie's Curly Meringue).

godsflowerrr

For some reason I could do them when my hair was shorter. Now that it is growing out I can't get it for nothing. I have tried and tried and it is typically a hot mess..lol I guess practice makes perfect..lol

Leesh

I would say, maybe, when you reach the very end, start to braid it to keep it from unraveling! :perplexed