PLEASE HELP! HUMIDITY IS KICKING THE BOOTAY!

Falon

Man...I can't stand it...this NYC humidity is kicking my a$$! I have been having nothing but one bad hair day after another all week. It started off with adventures with curl activator...a disaster to say the least.

I went home last night washed conditoned the hair...my hair was fully dry when I put in my bantu knots...I woke up and took them out and they looked GREAT! I walked to the train got on and by the time I got here my hair was a frizzy poufy mess...How horrible to sit somewhere and think you look fly when YOU DON'T!

Yet I see all these other women and their hair is looking tight...why? What are you guys doing that I'm not?

Please give me some anti-humidity hair help...How do ya'll do it?

I wish I knew what to suggest, Falon!

A co-worker and I were just joking about this the other day because it has been kinda humid here as well. The best solution we came up with: move quickly from one air conditioned place to another!

Are you putting anything in your hair when you take it out of the bantu knots? I smooth the tiniest amount of castor oil onto my hair in the morning before I go and it has held up remarkably well since I got it done on Tuesday.

Having a pretty headband on hand also helps because you could "work" the frizz into a pseudo-puff maybe???

Leslie_C

lol @ u muse! I know EXACTLY what u mean, orlando is no joke either!

I did the SAME thing with the banto knots, I took them down and they looked so cute, then BY THE TIME I GOT TO WORK, they already had frizzed and poofed out (chaka khan chaka khan!!!). One thing Ill tell u is that most of them are using extreme heat to acheive that look.

My hair will look really good for a week after I go to the salon and even stands up to the humidity, all I would do was wrap it at night and comb it down and go!. It was niiice. BUT I think that doing that every week would cause breakage(those irons are HOT!) and thinning eventually. Plus Im a student so weekly salon visits are out of the question!A happy medium would maybe be getting a salon roller wrap every week or every other week alternating with other styles like buns, braidouts,etc.

A few products that help my pitiful non heat using head are loreal antifrizz serum, straight effects hair polish, NTM serum, NTM leave in. Also, Aveda brilliant hairspray is gentle and does pretty well to repel humidity.

so1913

You know what, I always wondered that myself. Even when I relaxed, my hair just did not react well at all to rain or the humidity. I used to look at all the other girls on campus, and their hair looked just fine :-(. My hair always held on to water, takes forever to dry. I just gave in and would just pull my hair up. Wish I had an answer for you. Hope you get some good solutions!!!!

Mochalolita

Same thing with me...the last time I actually went to a hairdresser and asked about it (a loooooooooonnnnng time ago!) He told me that I would have to get my ENTIRE HEAD re-relaxed if I wanted it to stay straight in humidity
I told him I'd just have to find another way to deal with it, lol. Still haven't, though...and it sucks the big one

Queenie

I wear my hair in twist outs, I have to redo them every night or they just look frizzy. I know also the more you moisturize your hair with water based products the less it frizzes out. I also have been doing 3 conditioning washes per week in addition to my normal shampoo/deep condition. Try Fantasia's frizz polishers. They help somewhat.

Leslie_C

queenie u are right, I read somewhere that if u put extra moisture in your hair, it helps because your hair is like a sponge that can only hold so much, so if its full of moisture it cant suck up any more or at least not much.

Huggette

staying away from products that contain glycerin or other humectants when i know i'll be dealing w/humidty helps. Also Isoplus Holding Spray. I put that on at night when i wrap and before i go in the AM--make s a huge difference!!

Falon

Thanks guys...I went into the bathroom and handled the situation...self-confidence has been restored

It's annoying though not just the hair but you get that sweat moustache and you face is all damp...it's gross...alas that I do not have the option of running from air conditioned place to place....the subway platform is an inferno and the inside of the cars are usually frigid...guess the dramatic temp changes don't help either..I have to walk the streets...I need to move to a driving city.

Luckily I had a pony tail holder and I managed to work up a little do...I ain't messing with extreme heat again and I am certainly not going to relax my whole head again...the thought makes me shiver...so scary.

I will try the bit of oil and use a bit more moisturizer and see what happens.

But does anybody our there know how to fight this or am I doomed to wear my hair up till fall?

Falon

[ QUOTE ]
Huggette said:
staying away from products that contain glycerin or other humectants when i know i'll be dealing w/humidty helps. Also Isoplus Holding Spray. I put that on at night when i wrap and before i go in the AM--make s a huge difference!!

[/ QUOTE ]

To do list tonight: check product ingredients for culprits
thanks!

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
I had a stylist tell me one way to beat the humidty poof is to use natural oils for shine before you leave (evoo, jojoba, etc). As for me, I'm rocking the dreaded bun to beat the humidity. Boring but effective.

tasha

[ QUOTE ]
Falon said:
Man...I can't stand it...this NYC humidity is kicking my a$$! I have been having nothing but one bad hair day after another all week. It started off with adventures with curl activator...a disaster to say the least.

I went home last night washed conditoned the hair...my hair was fully dry when I put in my bantu knots...I woke up and took them out and they looked GREAT! I walked to the train got on and by the time I got here my hair was a frizzy poufy mess...How horrible to sit somewhere and think you look fly when YOU DON'T!

Yet I see all these other women and their hair is looking tight...why? What are you guys doing that I'm not?

[/ QUOTE ]
Try covering your hair (with your bantu knots still in)until you reach your destination. A cute hat or a nice scarf....

Falon

[ QUOTE ]
tasha said:
[ QUOTE ]
Falon said:

[/ QUOTE ]
Try covering your hair (with your bantu knots still in)until you reach your destination. A cute hat or a nice scarf....

[/ QUOTE ]

Heee...Heee I can just see the Chairman of my company and my boss and all of these over 50 white people's expressions when my Bantu knot..held together with multi colored pony tail holders and covered with a doo rag to beat all self shows up to work.

I'm laughing at myself...I just might you never know they would think it's a trend...the execs might even try to market it.
And the two other sisters on my entire floor would probably self combust they are all sooooo boujie here it isn't funny.

(Not laughing at you please take no offense)

kitten73

do you use the one in the pump spray bottle, it's white with blue and red letters? i have this and I haven't used it yet. i actually got it for my daughter's hair when she had twists for her dance recital. i am having the same problem, my hair looks great when i take the wrap down but by the time i get to the train station it's frizzy. i use the shine serum but that only does the trick for a short time.