Please help me choose a style of weave

Come to think of it, why is it that when folks wear long curly weaves, they have this tendency to create a curtain part or pull hair back? Is there some rule about the need to expose a big ol' five-head?

Why don't I see more people wearing their hair like this:
big-curly-hairstyle-for-women.jpg

long-loose-curls-hairstyles-for-square-faces.jpg

While I do know a lot of curly long-haired folks wear their hair pulled back or "curtain parted" (eg Alicia Keys), I've never understood why.

I've done the curtain part too myself with my twisted bangs (so I'm a fine one to speak :lachen: , but in my defense it was a change of pace for me rather than the main way I wear my hair. But time and time again, I see people get a lacefront or a weave and it's the same thing, "let the fo'head shine!" :giggle:

Come to think of it, why is it that when folks wear long curly weaves, they have this tendency to create a curtain part or pull hair back? Is there some rule about the need to expose a big ol' five-head?

Why don't I see more people wearing their hair like this:
big-curly-hairstyle-for-women.jpg

long-loose-curls-hairstyles-for-square-faces.jpg

While I do know a lot of curly long-haired folks wear their hair pulled back or "curtain parted" (eg Alicia Keys), I've never understood why.

I've done the curtain part too myself with my twisted bangs (so I'm a fine one to speak :lachen: , but in my defense it was a change of pace for me rather than the main way I wear my hair. But time and time again, I see people get a lacefront or a weave and it's the same thing, "let the fo'head shine!" :giggle:

It has to do with the way the hair falls. Curly bangs can be hard to pull off. If they're not cut right they can look awkward. Some people put straight bangs with curly hair which I'm not a fan of either. It also could be the way the weave is installed. If a part wasn't added when the hair was braided and the hair wasn't sewn to reveal the part you can't go back and add one in. If you try to, you'll be able to see the track. The style is pretty much set once it's in. You could leave a large leave out if you want to change parts. Or you could use a closure to give you some parting variety. Those are the only two options.

I usually wear my hair back because it's easier to get it to blend in that way. I don't want it to do the flyaway thing. It's just easier to slick it down. Short curls all around the hairline next to significantly longer hair are a dead giveaway that it's a weave.

Last edited:
I used BoBraz as my first and LAST curly weave. I spent sooo much time researching it on BHM and it STILL tangled and matted on me horribly. I took it out after a month and my SO was MORE than happy to remove it from my head and throw those matted, dry, almost-bald tracks in the trash. Never again!

I have nothing else constructive to add. :look:

Nonie, I understand what you're saying but you also have to realize that with weave, the type of hair installed pretty much is the style. The texture you buy will dictate how it falls, how you will style it, etc. The way it's braided and installed will also dictate where it falls - with a part, over the face, leave out or no leave out, closure pieces, frontals, etc. The type of hair you buy will also dictate how you will care for it and what products and techiniques you can use.

For instance, it's not recommended that you straighten some of the curly textures because it can ruin the hair. If OP wanted to go back and forth and not be locked into a curly style this is also something she would need to consider. If she wants a shorter style bc it's hot, she might want to go for a looser curl so it doesn't look like an afro, etc. Wavy hair tends not to look good cut short. It does the triangle thing. If she wants a full head weave, it will have to have some type of bang to cover the front and it has to be closed up some type of way on top. Some textures don't look good with a bang, etc. Some people don't like closures. Some people think they look wiggy. What if they don't make a closure for the texture she chooses? And I could go on.

Do you see where I'm going with all this? So I'm saying all this to say, you have to think about the brand and type of hair from jump when you are choosing a weave style. It's not like with your regular hair where you can put it in any style you choose. It's a lot more than looking at a picture and saying I want that style.

glamazon386, trust me I get all that you talk about in the first two paragraphs. But in the realm of what looks good on a person, IMO the type of weave hair is neither here nor there, unless you already have an idea of the look you're going for. Or maybe it's the way I process stuff. I can decide in my head the sort of look I hope to have and then from that point know the look of hair I'm seeking, and use that image to ask folks to recommend hair that looks like that and that would be of good quality. I don't need to see the actual hair first to determine whether or not it'd look good on me. So the bold doesn't apply to me. I can have the look in my head...and then seek out hair that can look like that look and then the rest is up to the technique of the stylist.

Come to think of it, I think most people who get weaves start off admiring a look on a person that has their real hair looking a certain way, and then they ask how they can duplicate that look and then from there look for hair like that. Of course they'd need a Reniece-like pro to produce the look they want--hence the reason folks take magazines with them to the salon. Perhaps there are people who cannot picture in their mind how a "wiggy" look can be improved and so have to start with the exact hair they need. I don't think I'm one of those. I fancy myself as having quite the imagination and so can get an idea of a look from even a doll and then find hair that can mimic that look more realistically.

It has to do with the way the hair falls. Curly bangs can be hard to pull off. If they're not cut right they can look awkward. Some people put straight bangs with curly hair which I'm not a fan of either. It also could be the way the weave is installed. If a part wasn't added when the hair was braided and the hair wasn't sewn to reveal the part you can't go back and add one in. If you try to, you'll be able to see the track. The style is pretty much set once it's in. You could leave a large leave out if you want to change parts. Or you could use a closure to give you some parting variety. Those are the only two options.

I usually wear my hair back because it's easier to get it to blend in that way. I don't want it to do the flyaway thing. It's just easier to slick it down. Short curls all around the hairline next to significantly longer hair are a dead giveaway that it's a weave.

Once again, you're preaching to a choir member. I do know if a part was not created, then you can't create it one coz you'd have to show the track, which is why I admire good closures. And so when I posted those images asking why I don't see more of those, they could be created w/ a closure. I get bored easily so that's what I'd be going for, so I could wear more than one style. And I don't need to change parts. I just need to be able to show one, or not show one at all. I think a closure could achieve both with curly hair.

ETA: Like the look below is with the hair I used to braid. (Yes, I used weave human hair to braid by cutting out the tracks.) I didn't need to see this image to know it can be used to create this look. I could picture it in my head. Yet had I done a Google search of "water wave weave" the images that show up are not exactly what I wanted. In my mind's eye however, I knew the hair, which looks like this, could pull this off.

Attachments

• weave.jpg
    weave.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Ditto. If you plan to leave your own hair out for blending, get a texture that is close to your own. You do not want to be one of those women with a bone straight weave and leave out of 4a/b hair covered in gel trying to blend.:nono:

For this reason, I suggest you get something close to your texture. It can be a hassle trying to blend with humidity, working out, etc. This is why I rarely wear straight weave. Too much work. :nono: Have you taken a look over at BHM? There's a wealth of weave info over there.

Back