Please Teach Me How to do Dustings

divinefavor

Good Morning,

I get touch ups about every 15-16 weeks and I normally get trims at that time. I was wondering if maybe I need to do light dustings in between touch up times to ensure that I keep healthy ends and avoid splits. The only thing is that I don't have a clue of how to perform dustings and want to make sure I'm not cutting off healthy hair. :lol: Also what type of scissors do you use? Any and all suggestions are welcome. TIA for your help!

HoneyDew

You clip off splits and uneves hair only a teenie, tiny bit so they look like dust. I use high quality hair shears - the same I do trims with.

I am always afraid to do it in between because of the uneven NG I get. I am afraid I may cut too much or too little because of the shrinkage.

Other self-dusters and clippers may be able to chime in with more advice.

Shaniquah

For starters, this isn't something you do when you have a million other things to do because if you're serious about dusting, you have to take your time. I get to a spot with as much light as possible and take a small amount hair at a time and snip off the splits. Not too much, just right above the split. I put that section of hair away and go onto the next section. It is very time consuming, depending on how much there is so be prepared. The length of your hair shouldn't be too much affected by this process as long as you don't cut off a lot...HTH!

:)

IMFOCSD

Shaniquah said:
For starters, this isn't something you do when you have a million other things to do because if you're serious about dusting, you have to take your time. I get to a spot with as much light as possible and take a small amount hair at a time and snip off the splits. Not too much, just right above the split. I put that section of hair away and go onto the next section. It is very time consuming, depending on how much there is so be prepared. The length of your hair shouldn't be too much affected by this process as long as you don't cut off a lot...HTH!

I have been doing researches on trimming/dusting and you really broke it down!:yep: I am going to try it this Way.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Shaniquah said:

Isn't that a seek and destroy? I was thinking it was. When I dust I just take off the slightest amount of length from the end of my ponytail or two ponytails using this method http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim/. I only just tip the ends and it just takes a few minutes.

For S&D's I look through each individual hair and just snip the splits. This takes a loooooong time.

divinefavor

Shaniquah, how many sections do you usually have?

Pokahontas - you go through each individual strand? This sounds like it takes hours to do.

My issue with all of this is how do I know I have the right hair from the right section. My parting could be off, which could result in unevenness. I hoping I'm make sense. :lol:

~*~ShopAholic~*~

I do my dusting the same way someone else would do a trim except I just snip the very ends about 1/4 or less. Doing this every 16wk or more (at t-up time) keeps me from having splits or having to do trims or anything major. I think if you trim at every t-up you may not need to do dustings. But if you start dusting it may keep you from having to do full trims.

When I'm bored I'll do search and destroy, as shaniqua said it's very time consumming, that's why I'd rather do what I call "All Around Dusting".

Shaniquah

Oh yes, it is definitely a seek and destroy :lachen: If I don't do this, my ends get so atrocious that I have to cut off almost 2 inches because I'm not one to get trims every 6-8 weeks or whatever the time frame is.

DF, I seriously take small, very small sections and look through them to find the culprits and that's my way of dusting. Very time consuming, I know, but for me this works because there's no other way. (I really need to take better care of my ends...)

divinefavor said:
Shaniquah, how many sections do you usually have?

Pokahontas - you go through each individual strand? This sounds like it takes hours to do.

My issue with all of this is how do I know I have the right hair from the right section. My parting could be off, which could result in unevenness. I hoping I'm make sense. :lol:

IMFOCSD

Is it possible for frizzy ends to look like split ends? or can u tell the difference? if so how can you tell the difference?

HoneyDew

BeautifulWideEyes said:
I do my dusting the same way someone else would do a trim except I just snip the very ends about 1/4 or less. Doing this every 16wk or more (at t-up time) keeps me from having splits or having to do trims or anything major. I think if you trim at every t-up you may not need to do dustings. But if you start dusting it may keep you from having to do full trims.

When I'm bored I'll do search and destroy, as shaniqua said it's very time consumming, that's why I'd rather do what I call "All Around Dusting".

That's how I do it. No time for "search and destroy". :) Also, I agree, doing these dustings prevents from doing big trims at one time.