Please tell me I'm APL?!?

Kamilla16

After a MAJOR setback with blonde heavily highlighted hair last year... I'm back to square one. I'd thought I'd be APL by June and my hair at the end of August isn't even APL.... Although close I still think I have a lil bit to go.... What do you think?!? Pic in siggy.

I'm currently stretching my relaxer until late Oct. Then I will relax one more time (maybe) before getting braids mid November in time for my due date Dec. 8th :ohwell: Praying I can PASS APL next year!

whiteoleander91

stay at your best ♥
hmmmm...I'd say you are reeeeally close, like an inch away from APL. But, what do I know, I'm only just a little past CBL lol don't mind meee.

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
You have the same situation I have, you are APL on your left side (armpit is higher) and not quite on your right. Maybe it's your posture. Either way I say, claim it...it's a mental booster if nothing else:grin:

Kamilla16

LOL... I'm definitely lop-sided... I learned this after going to the chiropractor :( Oh well... Hopefully by Dec. I can officially claim APL, then on the BSB and MBL by December of 2012, which is my ULTIMATE goal!!

Imani

I have scoliosis and have the same issue with claiming lengths. I usually just wait til I can claim it on both sides.

Kamilla16

I honestly think its my posture in the pic, because I didnt notice the extreme lop-sideness in other pics... so maybe the right side is more realistic... In April I had to get 1.5'' trim due to breakage. I guess I'll just be patient.

Kirei

You look APL to me. I mean your hair is right at your arm pits. I would claim it. If you stretch your hair a bit with your hand, I'm sure it would touch it.

You're APL to me. :)

ProtectiveStyling

ur really close!!! i think u will be there by the end of September :yep: i dnt see anything wrong with claiming it now though!

Also, does anyone know the lenght of the lady's hair in my siggy?? im thinking maybe BSL or MBL, hard to tell from the front... The pic is from Low Down Dirty Shame

Last edited:

C@ssandr@

formerly known as "keyawarren"
Looks apl enough to me. Plus I held up a measuring item to the screen and your hair is at your armpit. :look:

MsLi@512

Sorry OP but I think you are surely grazing APL and can sure claim it. I would claim it. PS, I'm kind of in the same situation ,as the left side of my hair grows a bit faster than the right. And I refuse to keep cutting and fighting my hair to keep it even because the right eventually catches up and then the left grows faster and the cycle repeats. So I let it do what it does!
Next stop Full APL- BSL:yep:

silenttullip

Yep you're standing a tad lop sided... I would wait a tad bit longer to claim it on here but I would claim it to myself... Right now my nape is apl but sides are cbl so I claim apl to myself and sl to lhcf cause it's right in the middle lol.

Nonie

You have the same situation I have, you are APL on your left side (armpit is higher) and not quite on your right. Maybe it's your posture. Either way I say, claim it...it's a mental booster if nothing else:grin:

@Nix08 Yes she is a bit lopsided or the way she stood made it seem so. Even one shoulder is higher than the other.

In any case her hair is touching APL. So she can claim it if she wants to.

You look APL to me. I mean your hair is right at your arm pits. I would claim it. If you stretch your hair a bit with your hand, I'm sure it would touch it.

You're APL to me. :)

@Selah339 stretching straight hair has never made any sense to me. I can see the need to stretch hair that isn't straightened but if hair is already straight, I'd think stretching it is sorta forcing issues. There are people who don't even agree with stretching natural hair, but I am pretty sure stretching natural hair (especially kinky hair) doesn't really get it as straight as it'd be when flat ironed or relaxed straight but it's pretty close. This is an image of my natural hair stretched out:

Looks apl enough to me. Plus I held up a measuring item to the screen and your hair is at your armpit. :look:

:giggle: @keyawarren. It doesn't have to be a measuring item. Just anything with a straight edge that you can hold from one armpit to the next like the white lines I drew (albeit not accurately), would work. :p

Like @silenttullip, I personally would wait a little longer to claim it. When I took the pic below some folks thought I should claim APL but I didn't want to go by just a few strands.

I waited a little while longer till more strands were there and slightly past and it then felt awesome to claim it as there'd be no doubt. Not even if splits claimed a few tips. :grin:

Kamilla16

Thanks ladies... Although it does seem to be touching APL, I think I'll give it a month or so before claiming. After taking down my braids at the end of October, I will definitely do a mini length check before January....
BSB ---->MBL here I come!!! :yep:

Kirei

@Nix08 Yes she is a bit lopsided or the way she stood made it seem so. Even one shoulder is higher than the other.

In any case her hair is touching APL. So she can claim it if she wants to.

@Selah339 stretching straight hair has never made any sense to me. I can see the need to stretch hair that isn't straightened but if hair is already straight, I'd think stretching it is sorta forcing issues. There are people who don't even agree with stretching natural hair, but I am pretty sure stretching natural hair (especially kinky hair) doesn't really get it as straight as it'd be when flat ironed or relaxed straight but it's pretty close. This is an image of my natural hair stretched out:

:giggle: @keyawarren. It doesn't have to be a measuring item. Just anything with a straight edge that you can hold from one armpit to the next like the white lines I drew (albeit not accurately), would work. :p

Like @silenttullip, I personally would wait a little longer to claim it. When I took the pic below some folks thought I should claim APL but I didn't want to go by just a few strands.

I waited a little while longer till more strands were there and slightly past and it then felt awesome to claim it as there'd be no doubt. Not even if splits claimed a few tips. :grin:
What I meant was like when we naturals stretch our hair and the very tips reach the desired length for me, that's longer than when I flat iron.

I always get an extra 1/2 inch or so from pulling a bit with my fingers...

Nonie

What I meant was like when we naturals stretch our hair and the very tips reach the desired length for me, that's longer than when I flat iron.

I always get an extra 1/2 inch or so from pulling a bit with my fingers...

@Selah339, I've heard that too, but that's not the real length. You're basically using the elasticity of hair to fake a length it isn't. I can't remember who it is who pointed this fact out and said that when hair is straightened, where it falls is where the true length is, which is why she doesn't even trust natural hair being stretched. She made a good point about hair elasticity and how that has nothing to do with true length.

That would be like trying to get your height and then standing on tiptoes and elongating your neck to fake the extra inch(es). :lol:

ETA: When I stretch my hair while natural, I don't think I get it as straight as I do when flat-ironed. Here's my straightened hair; it doesn't have waves like the hair that is stretched:

Last edited:

Kirei

Selah339, I've heard that too, but that's not the natural length. You're basically using the elasticity of hair to fake a length it isn't. I can't remember who it is who pointed this fact out and said that when hair is straightened, where it falls is where the true length is, which is why she doesn't even trust natural hair being stretched. She made a good point about hair elasticity and how that has nothing to do with true length.

That would be like trying to get your height and then standing on tiptoes and elongating your neck to fake the extra inch(es). :lol:

Awww man Nonie... well I mean...I'm still BSL!! :lachen: j/k

What you said make sense...it's just hard to get hair completely straight enough to see the true length so pulling it a bit seems to be the only answer.

I guess to may also depend on the amount of force used...

Nonie

Awww man Nonie... well I mean...I'm still BSL!! :lachen: j/k

What you said make sense...it's just hard to get hair completely straight enough to see the true length so pulling it a bit seems to be the only answer.

I guess to may also depend on the amount of force used...

:lol: And that's the thing. Since it's hard to gauge how much force one should use, I think it's just better to let hair fall where it will when straightened. Otherwise people like JJJ would be calling their knee length hair ankle length coz I'm sure if she pulled it, it'd stretch a long way.

If someone's hair is wavy or curly, I can see the pull being necessary if only to give an idea where the hair'd fall if it were not wavy. But if it is straight, it is a bit :nuts: to be pulling it coz we can all see where the hair truly falls. :lol:

C@ssandr@

formerly known as "keyawarren"
I love the depth of our analysis :yep:. Only on lhcf where people don't think we're crazy.

chickle

You definitely look APL to me...maybe not full APL, but you are definitely there. I am confused as to what APL is now. I thought it was arm pit length? It is touching your armpit