POLL-For Split End Sufferers

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
I wanted to do a poll for people with recurring split ends, to see if there's a common problem that we're not noticing. Hopefully we'll figure out some culprits from everyone's answers. For instance, we may find that someone who brushes more than twice a week with a plastic bristle brush is more likely to get splits than a person who uses a boar bristle brush. Or we may find that someone who uses shampoo more than twice a week is more likey to get splits. So if you have a problem with split ends, please answer these questions, and feel free to let me know if I should add any more. Also, please try to keep your answers short and sweet :drunk:

1)Are you relaxed, texlaxed or natural?

-If relaxed or texlaxed, how often do you relax?
-How long do you leave the relaxer in after application?
-Do you add any extra steps to the relaxing process? (extra deep conditioning, protein treatment, etc)
-Do you protect your ends when you relax?

2)How often do you you use heat?

-What type of heat do you use? (steam rollers, hood dryer, flat iron, etc)
-If using a flat/curling iron, what brand is it?
-When flat ironing or curling, do you use a heat protectant? If yes, what type? (spray, serum, etc)
-On a scale on 1-10, how hot a setting do you use, when using heat?

3)How often do you wear your hair down?

-What length is your hair?

4)Do you wear protective styles? If yes how often?

-What type of protective styles do you wear? (Bun, french roll, UPA Clip, etc)
-If you wear a bun, what do you use to keep it in place? (satin scrunchie, hair pins, rubber bands, etc)

5)How often do you comb and/or brush?

-What type of comb and/or brush do you use? (Denman, boar bristle, shower comb, etc)
-Do you brush your hair while wet?

6)How often do you wash with shampoo?

-Does your shampoo contain any SLS or ALS?

7)How often do you deep condition?

8)How often do you co-wash?

9)When you rinse conditioner out of you hair, do you use cold, warm or hot water?

10)Are you consistant with the products you use?

Last edited:
I wanted to do a poll for people with recurring split ends, to see if there's a common problem that we're not noticing. Hopefully we'll figure out some culprits from everyone's answers. For instance, we may find that someone who brushes more than twice a week with a plastic bristle brush is more likely to get splits than a person who uses a boar bristle brush. Or we may find that someone who uses shampoo more than twice a week is more likey to get splits. So if you have a problem with split ends, please answer these questions, and feel free to let me know if I should add any more. Also, please try to keep your answers short and sweet :drunk:

1)Are you relaxed, texlaxed or natural? Natural

2)How often do you you use heat? Every 3 months. Not at all during the summer months. I blow dry, and flatiron with Maxiglide on 5 setting when I straigten my hair.

3)How often do you wear your hair down? For approximately 1 week when I straighten.

-What length is your hair? 1 inch from bsl (still after another much needed trim).

4)Do you wear protective styles? Yes. If yes how often? Everyday.

-What type of protective styles do you wear? (Bun, french roll, UPA Clip, etc) Loose bun.

-If you wear a bun, what do you use to keep it in place? (satin scrunchie, hair pins, rubber bands, etc) Ouchless rubberband.

5)How often do you comb and/or brush? Once a week on shampoo day.

-What type of comb and/or brush do you use? (Denman, boar bristle, shower comb, etc) Wide tooth comb.

-Do you brush your hair while wet? I comb while wet.

6)How often do you wash with shampoo? I have been conditioner washing for the past month, however I did use shampoo yesterday. I will continue to use shampoo 1 per week.

-Does your shampoo contain any SLS or ALS? No.

7)How often do you deep condition? Every week.

8)How often do you co-wash? See above.

9)When you rinse conditioner out of you hair, do you use cold, warm or hot water? I rinse the conditioner out with warm and the final rinse is with cold water.

I suffer froom split ends and the only thing I can contribute it too is combing while my hair is wet. I would lose lots of hair if I combed it dry, not to mention the fact that it would hurt like he!! . I just can't imagine doing that. I try to do everything right including low manipulation.

Oh btw...my answers are in orange.

1)Are you relaxed, texlaxed or natural?
I am relaxed
--Do you protect your ends when you relax?
I put Chi silk infusion on ends
2)How often do you you use heat?
Lately, almost weekly

-If using a flat/curling iron, what brand is it? Sedu now FHI
350 degrees

3)How often do you wear your hair down?
Confession whenever I leave the house:nono:

-What length is your hair? Shoulder Length now

4)Do you wear protective styles? If yes how often? In the house only

-What type of protective styles do you wear? (Bun, french roll, UPA Clip, etc) N/A
-If you wear a bun, what do you use to keep it in place? (satin scrunchie, hair pins, rubber bands, etc) No buns I have big head

5)How often do you comb and/or brush? Comb wet hair
-What type of comb and/or brush do you use? (Denman, boar bristle, shower comb, etc)
-Do you brush your hair while wet? Nope

6)How often do you wash with shampoo? Weekly

-Does your shampoo contain any SLS or ALS? Not sure about that
I use keracare hydrating shampoo or CON
7)How often do you deep condition? twice week

8)How often do you co-wash? Sometimes three a week other times none
9)When you rinse conditioner out of you hair, do you use cold, warm or hot water? I am thinking in the shower hot don't like cold water on me

1)Are you relaxed, texlaxed or natural? Relaxed

-If relaxed or texlaxed, how often do you relax? every 8-10 weeks
-How long do you leave the relaxer in after application? Usually as direct, mild relaxer
-Do you add any extra steps to the relaxing process? (extra deep conditioning, protein treatment, etc)I do the protein step before shampooing and I deep condition afterwards
-Do you protect your ends when you relax? I started doing that this year but before whether I did it or not, no

2)How often do you you use heat?I sit under the dryer twice a week, flatironing- Ocne a month at most
-What type of heat do you use? (steam rollers, hood dryer, flat iron, etc)- Hooded dryer
-If using a flat/curling iron, what brand is it? Conair infiniti-When flat ironing or curling, do you use a heat protectant? If yes, what type? (spray, serum, etc) Chi silk infusion or nexxus heat protexx spray
-On a scale on 1-10, how hot a setting do you use, when using heat? 3
3)How often do you wear your hair down? everyday
-What length is your hair? almost shoulder length 4)Do you wear protective styles? If yes how often? Once in awhile

-If you wear a bun, what do you use to keep it in place? (satin scrunchie, hair pins, rubber bands, etc)- BunsOctopus clip
5)How often do you comb and/or brush?- Everyday

-What type of comb and/or brush do you use? (Denman, boar bristle, shower comb, etc)- shower comb when in shower, otherwise a fine toothed comb:look:-Do you brush your hair while wet?- no
6)How often do you wash with shampoo? - twice a week

-Does your shampoo contain any SLS or ALS? - no

7)How often do you deep condition? - after every wash

8)How often do you co-wash? - maybe once every three weeks

9)When you rinse conditioner out of you hair, do you use cold, warm or hot water?- warm

10)Are you consistant with the products you use?- generally yes

-If relaxed or texlaxed, how often do you relax?
-How long do you leave the relaxer in after application?
-Do you add any extra steps to the relaxing process? (extra deep conditioning, protein treatment, etc)
-Do you protect your ends when you relax?

2)How often do you you use heat? Every 2 months or so

-If using a flat/curling iron, what brand is it? A maxiglide flatiron
-When flat ironing or curling, do you use a heat protectant? If yes, what type? (spray, serum, etc) Yes I use beyond the zone turn uo the heat and smooth n shine heat serum
-On a scale on 1-10, how hot a setting do you use, when using heat? 6

3)How often do you wear your hair down? More frequently in the summer now that its winter mabey for one week every two months (when I straighten it) or once every two weeks down and curly

-What length is your hair? BSL

4)Do you wear protective styles? If yes how often? I just wear a bun every night lol

-If you wear a bun, what do you use to keep it in place? (satin scrunchie, hair pins, rubber bands, etc)pony tail holder

5)How often do you comb and/or brush?I use a brush to smooth down te top of my hair every other day or so

-Do you brush your hair while wet? I use my fingers haha and I would only use a brush when wet to smooth my hair down when its in a pony tail

6)How often do you wash with shampoo? once a week

-Does your shampoo contain any SLS or ALS? yezzzir

7)How often do you deep condition? every week

8)How often do you co-wash? every other day

9)When you rinse conditioner out of you hair, do you use cold, warm or hot water? warm water

10)Are you consistant with the products you use? yess

uhh im not seeing the culprit :lachen:

1)Are you relaxed, texlaxed or natural? Texturized/Texlaxed..former natural so that could also be the culprit...

-If relaxed or texlaxed, how often do you relax? So far I've texturized/texlaxed twice.

-How long do you leave the relaxer in after application? 1st time = 5-7 minutes, 2nd time (corrective) = 10 minutes.

-Do you add any extra steps to the relaxing process? (extra deep conditioning, protein treatment, etc) - the first time I added a protein conditioner and EVOO to my relaxer. The second time I simply used the relaxer straight/as-is.

-Do you protect your ends when you relax? - this was my first time so no!

2)How often do you you use heat? - yesterday was my first time doing a hard press in over 3 years. Before that I'd only used heat once (blowdry+flat iron) in a 2 year period while natural.

-What type of heat do you use? (steam rollers, hood dryer, flat iron, etc) - (see above)

-If using a flat/curling iron, what brand is it?

-When flat ironing or curling, do you use a heat protectant? If yes, what type? (spray, serum, etc)

3) How often do you wear your hair down? - never...I look silly with straight hair...

-What length is your hair? a little past shoulder, but no where near APL

4) Do you wear protective styles? If yes how often? - daily (if wash n' go's count)

-What type of protective styles do you wear? (Bun, french roll, UPA Clip, etc) - twists, flat twists, and daily wash n' go's

-If you wear a bun, what do you use to keep it in place? (satin scrunchie, hair pins, rubber bands, etc)

5) How often do you comb and/or brush? - I comb my hair every time I wash it (i.e. wash days), unless I'm wearing a wash n' go, in which case I'll finger comb it every morning.

-What type of comb and/or brush do you use? (Denman, boar bristle, shower comb, etc) - I rarely use my Denman. I simply use a wide-tooth comb.

-Do you brush your hair while wet? - If I'm using a Denman yes...otherwise, no!

6)How often do you wash with shampoo? Usually 2 times a month.

-Does your shampoo contain any SLS or ALS? - It could possibly...I don't really check!

7) How often do you deep condition? - Not as often as I should! Usually 2 or 3 times a month. I was doing good when I had color in my hair, but I've since slacked. I know for assurity that I don't do it once a week!

8) How often do you co-wash? - anywhere from everyday, to every other day.

9) When you rinse conditioner out of you hair, do you use cold, warm or hot water? - warm/hot ... even though I know I should be using cold to seal the cuticle.

10)Are you consistent with the products you use? - :nono: ... I don't have a set regimen, and I'm trying to use up whatever I have in order to buy different products. Also, if I find something that works, I'm a little hesitant to let it go!

Yesterday I did my first hard press in years and I realized the true condition of my ends. I also realized this when I blowdried and flat-ironed my hair earlier this year. My ends aren't in the best condition, and I know that they are split even though I don't use heat, comb dry, etc. I guess it comes with the territory of textured hair...or maybe it's just my hair?! :nono:

Last edited:

2)How often do you you use heat? Once a week after a wash

-What type of heat do you use? (steam rollers, hood dryer, flat iron, etc) Blowdryer

3)How often do you wear your hair down? Never

-What length is your hair? Shoulder-length (stretched)

4)Do you wear protective styles? If yes how often? No

5)How often do you comb and/or brush? Only after I wash my hair

-What type of comb and/or brush do you use? (Denman, boar bristle, shower comb, etc) Wide tooth comb
-Do you brush your hair while wet? I comb my hair when wet

6)How often do you wash with shampoo? Once a week

-Does your shampoo contain any SLS or ALS? SLS

7)How often do you deep condition? Every week

8)How often do you co-wash? Only after I do a Henna-treatment (twice a month)

9)When you rinse conditioner out of you hair, do you use cold, warm or hot water? Warm water

10)Are you consistant with the products you use? I have been lately

Back