Votes: 12 15.4%
  • I rarely ever get knots

Votes: 10 12.8%
  • A good amount of protein in my regime

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • Little to no protein in my regime, all moisture

Votes: 7 9.0%

• Total voters
i think im pretty much 3c and i dont get knots in my hair...i co wash daily and do protein treatments once a month

1. What is your hair type; I know most of us have more than one type going on but pick the dominant one 4a/b

2. Do you get alot of knots? not anymore

3. How much protein is in your regime? not much, I really need to add more protein to my regimen:ohwell:

1. What is your hair type; I know most of us have more than one type going on but pick the dominant one.
You don't have 3/c so I chose 3/b

2. Do you get alot of knots?
Not a lot...but I do get them

3. How much protein is in your regime?
Never. My hair doesn't react well to protein.

I have 3 questions for the natural ladies.

1. What is your hair type; I know most of us have more than one type going on but pick the dominant one
4B

I got knots......I said average

Affirm 5n1 reconstructor once every two months

I am just collecting some research so feel free to elaborate. Thanks Ladies

Sorry ladies, I messed up the poll. Please just post and I will see if a mod can fix it.

1. 3b nape /4a predom.

2. If I don't moisten with water and seal with castor oil at night I am prone to a knotty tangle in the morning. So far since BC haven't seen single strand knots.

3. Minimal- light protein Elucence deep conditioner.
Intermittent henna (tannin)

Last edited:
By definition, 4b is zig-zag, not s-shaped. Sorry I didn't clarify I guess my question was for the 4a gals, b/c there are 2 kinds of 4a :look: At least IME...

really?:perplexed i think the "s" shape is just the coil stretched out. most of the time when i see the "s" there is a coil on the end. the longer my hair gets it has more of an s shape but when shorter its all coil. whenever i see an 4a with a "s' throughout the length*when dry* i usually think there was some trauma to the hair.(heat or chemical) or its not 4a:look:

really?:perplexed i think the "s" shape is just the coil stretched out. most of the time when i see the "s" there is a coil on the end. the longer my hair gets it has more of an s shape but when shorter its all coil. whenever i see an 4a with a "s' throughout the length*when dry* i usually think there was some trauma to the hair.(heat or chemical) or its not 4a:look:

Yeah that's what I mean! See I have 4a coils, but I also have s-shaped 4a hair that doesn't coil. And some other ladies "4a" I have seen was not coily. It's like not 3c, but not 4a either--something in between. I can tell b/c I have 3c s-shaped curls too.:yep:

Maybe my hair is just the odd ball :look:. I'd be all up in my hair when I was natural, trying to classify it...

Last edited:
I have 3 questions for the natural ladies.

1. What is your hair type; I know most of us have more than one type going on but pick the dominant one

4b

2. Do you get a lot of knots?

Not really. I keep my hair braided or twisted so I usually don't get knots. If I wear my hair out, it is only for a day and then I braid it at night when it is well detangled.

I use a reconstructor (Emergencee or GPB) once a week.

I'm 4a/b and yes I do get knots. I don't have any protein specific products. Maybe DPR 11 and Giovani Direct Leave in.

It's interesting to see almost everyone above me in this thread state that they don't get knots. That really blows my mind. My hair is overgrown with knots. Could be from my past wash and go's and my lack of trims. But, I've been a cutting machine for 2 weeks+ now almost everyday.

exactly. i'm "4b" and get a gazillion knots and tangles. i don't use a hard protein conditioner because my hair likes moisture

never tried one though. perhaps i should

I believe I am 4a. Mostly coily shaped.

I absolutely DO get lots of knots on the ends. That's usually a sign that a trim is needed. I cut them off immediately.

Not a lot of protein is used in my hair.
If there is...I don't pay attention to it---meaning, I don't do the HEAVY protein treatments, not unless I'm straightening or coloring my hair.

I am 4a and I hardly ever get knots. I have fine hair so I try to detangle at least twice a week. When I do get knots it is a sign to me that I need a trim and I trim 2x a year.

1. My hair is 4a, with coils and s shapes

2. I don't really get a lot of knots and tangle because I mostly wear twists, or my hair straight. I get TONS when I wear my hair out in a puff or wash n go. I also wash in sections, otherwise, it's TANGLE CITY.

3. I get protein from Aubrey GBP when I straighten. But, I don't think that's enough because my hair is breaking and I have split ends. So next time I wash, I'm going to use Joico K Pak, too.

ITA w/ the bold. I have 4B hair and my hair is coily but s shaped when stretched out.
IMG_2832-vi.jpg

ITA w/ the bold. I have 4B hair and my hair is coily but s shaped when stretched out.

No, that's not the case. Like Artemis, I have coils and s shapes. I can pull out two strands of hair and lay it on the counter. One will coil into a very tight spiral, and one will look like a bunch of hills.

I thought 4b had no curl or coil pattern at all. Looking at your hair stretched, I would think it was 4a.

Yeah that's what I mean! See I have 4a coils, but I also have s-shaped 4a hair that doesn't coil. And some other ladies "4a" I have seen was not coily. It's like not 3c, but not 4a either--something in between. I can tell b/c I have 3c s-shaped curls too.:yep:

No, that's not the case. Like Artemis, I have coils and s shapes. I can pull out two strands of hair and lay it on the counter. One will coil into a very tight spiral, and one will look like a bunch of hills.

I thought 4b had no curl or coil pattern at all. Looking at your hair stretched, I would think it was 4a.

That's what Andre (Is that his name?) and some people say but I beg to differ. My hair does not behave like 4A at all. Wash N gos do not look like 4A and if you see my hair after I've manipulated it, it looks like CNapp. 4B hair has a coil pattern but due to manipulation necessary to keep it from tangling up, the pattern is hardly ever evident.

My hair can look like that pic or like this:
Outofbraidsdryhair-vi.jpg

or like this:
yhairtextureCNappsquestionmark-vi.jpg

Or like this:
4BZigzagShapefromBraiding-vi.jpg

Or like this:
kedHairShowsNaturalCurlPattern-vi.jpg

The last picture being how it looks when I "wash and go" ie no combing involved. But note the shrinkage. If I tried to do a WNG, I'd have a tight afro that would not show the coils unless you got really up close and personal.

IMO, the difference between 4A and 4B is the size of the coils. No one's hair grows out of their head without some form of pattern. It's either straight, curly/coily or wavy. That's my story anyway and I'm sticking to it. :giggle:

1. What is your hair type 4b

2. Do you get alot of knots? Yes, strangely enough only at the back of my head.

3. How much protein is in your regime? Just an ORS pack and yoghurt in my weekly DC and Infusium 23 as a leave-in

Thanks Twana. I thought I was :spinning: :drunk:

I found that my coily hair would get the one-strand slipknot, but my loose 4a would be tangle free. Is that the case w/you?

4b is in a zig zag shape. I have one small patch of it in my crown area. It's not very defined, but it is slightly zig-zag. And wiry.

Last edited:
That's what Andre (Is that his name?) and some people say but I beg to differ. My hair does not behave like 4A at all. Wash N gos do not look like 4A and if you see my hair after I've manipulated it, it looks like CNapp. 4B hair has a coil pattern but due to manipulation necessary to keep it from tangling up, the pattern is hardly ever evident.

IMO, the difference between 4A and 4B is the size of the coils. No one's hair grows out of their head without some form of pattern. It's either straight, curly/coily or wavy. That's my story anyway and I'm sticking to it. :giggle:

:lachen:I know. We need to come up with a LHCF Hair Type Classifier!!! :lachen:And it is amazing how your hair looked different in every one of those pics. Cool!!!

Thanks Twana. I thought I was :spinning: :drunk:

I found that my coily hair would get the one-strand slipknot, but my loose 4a would be tangle free. Is that the case w/you?

4b is in a zig zag shape. I have one small patch of it in my crown area. It's not very defined, but it is slightly zig-zag. And wiry.

You know what. I don't know what sections of my hair has which pattern, so I don't know which one tangles and which one doesn't. The only reason I knew I have both coils and S is from my shed hair when I comb. :lachen:

:lachen:I know. We need to come up with a LHCF Hair Type Classifier!!! :lachen:And it is amazing how your hair looked different in every one of those pics. Cool!!!

It's all because of the fact that the natural coil shape is altered temporarily during styling. No one's hair has a zig-zag pattern or corners that form Z naturally. The same section of hair you see with a zig-zag pattern here just came out of braids hence that look. As soon as I washed it, it turned to this.

The reason my hair looks different is because the coils are so small that you have to be really close to see them and only if I haven't manipulated my hair with braiding or brushing. Because when I braid it, I bend it back and forth--think of what would happen if you braided springs--and that stretches the coils and sets them in a different way. But as soon as I wet them and leave well alone, the springs reappear.

ETA: Sorry to hijack thread. Carry on....

I know it should be intuitive here, but can you ladies list if you have coily hair?

For example some 4a hair is a looser s-shape and some 4a is coily pensprings

Thanks!!
Hey! you're back! How are you? I rarely remember getting knots in my hair. I had cottony 4a/b hair (coily) And I did not intentionally use a lot protein....I miss my natural hair a little bit :ohwell:

1. What is your hair type; I know most of us have more than one type going on but pick the dominant one 4A/B

2. Do you get alot of knots? Very rarely

3. How much protein is in your regime? Very little

Hey! you're back! How are you? I rarely remember getting knots in my hair. I had cottony 4a/b hair (coily) And I did not intentionally use a lot protein....I miss my natural hair a little bit :ohwell:

Yeah, you too!
I'm doing good. We should catch up sometime :)

Mine looks like S's when dry. I do have some coils throughout but most of my hair looks like S shaped spirals. It's not like a spring where you have to pull it to see the space between each revolution.

Maybe my hair is just the odd ball :look:. I'd be all up in my hair when I was natural, trying to classify it...

This is exactly how my hair is. Not really 3c but not really 4a either.

1. What is your hair type; I know most of us have more than one type going on but pick the dominant one - 4a
2. Do you get alot of knots? I rarely get knots.
3. How much protein is in your regime? Very little

1. What is your hair type; I know most of us have more than one type going on but pick the dominant one 4a

2. Do you get alot of knots? i get a few, but it is due to to shed hairs that get caught up on the ends sometimes.

3. How much protein is in your regime? i use a light protein once in awhile

1. What is your hair type; I know most of us have more than one type going on but pick the dominant one?

4a/b (?); fine and medium stands; medium density

I get some knots but mostly in my bang area

I use moderate protein. Aphogeee Pro V Leave In mixed with my daily spritz moisturizing and a mild protein conditioner monthly.

1. What is your hair type? 4a coily

2. Do you get alot of knots? YES

3. How much protein is in your regime? A regular amount, I rotate protein in my routine every other week. I use products daily that might have a tiny amount of protein in it.

Back