Pre-braid treatment/preparation???

blac_quarian

Been here from long time
I'm planning on getting my hair braided on Friday in order to reach the 12 week stretch mark, however, I need advice on what steps to take before the braids are put in to protect my hair. For example, should I co-wash versus clarify; deep condition, protect with oils, blow-out my NG etc?? My NG is about 1" and pretty thick. I haven't used heat since my last touch-up on 1/12.

I would appreciate any advice, as I haven't had braids for the longest and back then I didn't know how to take care of them appropriately. TIA.

Phoenix

I usually just wash, do a protein treatment, and then deep condition with a moisturizing conditioner. When I have a lot of new growth I usually blow it out. Otherwise they end up doing damage when they try to part it with a rat tail comb to do the braids. I also put some type of creamy moisturizer like ORS olive oil on my hair.

What kind of hair are you using? If you're using synthetic, you may want to soak it in vinegar and water first to remove the alkaline base from it. The procedure is described on www.growafrohairlong.com There is also info. on braid maintainance there.

CORBINS

Hello! I can only give you recommendations based on my experience, I do hope that your experience with braids turns out to be a good one.

If someone else is doing your braids, I would suggest that you straighten your new growth because more damage can be caused if the person isn't gentle with your hair. You should also start giving your hair deep conditioning treatments and also a good protein treatment prior to braiding. I usually do this about 1 week prior. Moisture is also very important so make sure your hair stays moist. How long are you planning on keeping the braids in. Also if you haven't already been to this website, here is the link: www.growafrohairlong.com This site has a wealth of information on braids and maintaining them.

blac_quarian

Been here from long time
Thank you ladies! Appreciate the feedback. I'm going to a salon that a friend has been using for years and recommends and they are supplying the synthetic hair. Is is possible to do the vingar treatment after the braids are already in? Also, I only plan on keeping the braids for 4 weeks to take me over my newgrowth "pain" threshold!!

OK, I currently have two protein treatments in my stash - Keraphix (Nexxus) and Kerafuse (Mizani). Which one would you recommend? I guess tonight is my deadline to treat/DC as my appointment is on Friday evening.

Healthb4Length

I would suggest that you do a clarifying wash, Deep treatment followed by a moisturizing treatment and then blow out or flat iron your hair straight. I tried co-washing my hair only before braiding it and it turned out a disaster! My hair was itching so badly I had to take the braids down after 2 days and wash my scalp.