tricks to tell NG from already processed hair...

SqrpioQutie

does anyone have any??

i'm 13 weeks post, texlaxed maybe 60%, and i normally do my touchups at the 12 week mark... but i can't exactly tell where my NG ends... i know i have some because when i stretch my hair it hits lower than back in feb... but, i'm sorta wary of doing the touchup since i literally can't tell where the NG ends...

so all of that to say, does anyone have any definitive tricks to get the NG to show itself?

TIA!!

CoCoEspresso

I am going out on a limb here by saying that you should apply some sort of cream to the roots and they should shrink up in response to the water content. I wouldn't do this the day of or day before though. HTH

LocksOfLuV

SqrpioQutie said:
seriously???... :perplexed :perplexed :perplexed

noone???... :confused: :ohwell: :confused: :(

I don't know either.:ohwell:

I just guesstimate. For instance if I relax every 3 mos and I know my strands grow .5 inches a month I will just try and relax one inch (just to be safe).

Impresaria

I'm your huckleberry.
I use African Pride Braid Spray and spray on my roots and let air-dry. It's the only way that I can see the difference since I usually flat-iron my roots. Hope this helps!

SqrpioQutie

thx guys...

this is going to be trickier than i thought... i have no idea what i've done differently to make it all blend, but i wear my hair in non straight styles and i swear it's all blending together...

i guess i'm just going to have to be really conservative this time around... OR i guess i could just stretch longer... lol

*Michelle*

SqrpioQutie said:
thx guys...

this is going to be trickier than i thought... i have no idea what i've done differently to make it all blend, but i wear my hair in non straight styles and i swear it's all blending together...

i guess i'm just going to have to be really conservative this time around... OR i guess i could just stretch longer... lol

Seems like u could do a longer stretch...every week, shoot, everyday counts!

HoneyDew

I am texlaxed, but my NG has more coil to it than my texlaxed hair, which is more wavy. I can tell this way.

Sosoothing

SqrpioQutie said:
does anyone have any??

i'm 13 weeks post, texlaxed maybe 60%, and i normally do my touchups at the 12 week mark... but i can't exactly tell where my NG ends... i know i have some because when i stretch my hair it hits lower than back in feb... but, i'm sorta wary of doing the touchup since i literally can't tell where the NG ends...

so all of that to say, does anyone have any definitive tricks to get the NG to show itself?

TIA!!

Im loving your comparison pics. Your hair looks lovely:).

As far as telling the new growth from relaxed hair, Im not sure. When I was severly texlaxed I would just guess. These days my roots are slightly more straight so the difference between the 2 textures is obvious.

SqrpioQutie

Pixel Lady said:
Seems like u could do a longer stretch...every week, shoot, everyday counts!

i am just being all impatient cuz i told myself i wouldnt' get another blowout until my next touchup and i wanna see my length progress... *bad me* :look: ;) :look:

and thank u LK!.. looks like you're doing big things with your hair too!

HD, i think i'm going to have to just get creative this time around.. either that or realllyyyyyyyy make an effort to pay attention to my hair... maybe it'll make a difference if i don't smooth my hair with the boar's head brush when i bun the day before i decide to touch up...

Last edited:

seraphinelle

This is the reason why I'm transitioning. LOL, I got really scared about relaxing again, and the thing is, I know where my newgrowth is, it's very distinct, (very wavy and coily)

But I'm scurred

OneInAMillion

I had this problem when I got a touch up in the beginning of May. I knew I had 8 months of new growth, but my texturized hair is so similar to the natural hair. I rollerset my hair to see where the difference was. Then, maybe 2 days before the touch up, I wet the roots just to be sure.

jrae

When I started taking MSM, my ng changed so much and combined with new techniques, I really couldn't tell either. The consequence was I had more new growth than I realized and I ended up with underprocessed strands. It was like this -----~~~~----- :eek:

I had to take really good care of it to prevent it from breaking. The next time, the evening before I relaxed, I lightly sprayed something wet - like Surge - on my strands. I didn't manipulate my scalp at all so there was no burning when I relaxed the next day.

HTH ;)

sareca

I have to do two things: 1) airdry the night before the relaxer and 2) stretch at least 4-6 months.