Pre-poo for Clarifying Wash. (dense coarse low po hair)

hnntrr

I wasnt sure what thread to put this under since I have some (i feel like weird variables)..

Does anyone have any tips on pre-pooing for a clarifying wash? Its been about a month since I last clarified and I thought I would do it today on my major wash day when I am DCing and doing a tea rinse. Last time I clarified my hair it felt squeaky for days...and I only shampoo'd once. And that was with a pre-poo on dry hair. - i dont remember all of what I used but it had EVOO, a moisture based conditioner and a banana.

I think my hair is coarse, dense and low porosity and gets easily protein overloaded. Not sure about texture but my mom thinks it might be 3b/3c (from when I was little)

So should I try and do heat on my pre-poo? Or at least rinse with hot water before? I dont have a dryer...a overhead or a blow dryer...and I cant handle a ton of protein so I would rather do a protein in the pre-poo step then moisture after clarifying..(if that will work?).

My hair tends to feel heavy/thick even with tons of moisture..My hair has no 'swang' what so ever. I would like to avoid huge setbacks if at all possible.

I will most likely be using:
Clarifying: I have Paul Mitchell Shampoo Two.

Moisture: Organix Moroccan Argan Creme extra Moisturizing, Africa's Best Olive Oil Deep Conditioner, a tea rinse of : yerba mate, green, chamomile, burdock, marshmallow, nettle and rose hips.

For Protein I have, I would like to only try one of these: Organix Tea Tree Creme, and travel sized test bottles of healthysexyhair soy milk conditioner and Rusk Sensories Calm Conditioner.

Leave -in: I have been using Nexxus Humectress and Paul Mitchell Heat Seal.

I plan on bantu knotting for monday/tuesday and using my Nexxus Leave in, ECO Styler Argan oil and Coconut oil.

Any tips/help/thoughts would be appreciated.

heirloom

I also have low porosity hair. I find that pre poo's do nothing for my hair. Have you though of changing the clarifying shampoo you are using, it sounds too harsh. I use a tresemme one. After that I use a mix of humectress, castor oil, sunflower oil and grape seed oil to dc. I always dc with heat for at least 30 mins. I think you need to invest in a heat cap or a dryer because without any heat source my hair does not accept any moisture. No matter how long the conditioner is left on.
When I need a bit of protein I use Redken Extreme CAT Protein Reconstructing Treatment and follow it with a mix of motions cpr treatment and a cheap moisturising condish. It leaves my hair strong and moisturised.
After every wash I LOC, the oils are sunflower and grape seed and the cream is organic roots stimulator olive oil moisturising hair lotion.
Hope this helps. Also there is a low poo support thread you might want to check out

faithVA

I am low porosity. I do prepoo but I prepoo with an instant conditioner or a combination of an instant conditioner/oils.

I agree with the above poster about the clarifying shampoo. Low porosity really doesn't need anything harsh. It barely accepts products anyway. I use a mudwash. It isn't as harsh. I wouldn't clarify and do the protein treatment on the same day. Allow your hair to recuperate between those. Getting moisture into our hair is hard enough on a regular wash. Doing 2 harsh treatments to your hair during the same wash can cause an issue.

I also agree with the previous posters suggestion about getting a heat cap. But I think I just read your thread asking for suggestions. And I agree with the minimum of 30 minutes. You can prepoo with the heat cap also. I usually don't have to, but if you are doing the oils it can help.

hnntrr

Yeah, I think my hair is still recovering from the clarifying and protein wash, it feels a little stiffer than normal...moisturized but stiff, so I am working on getting more moisture back in there.

As of now I have been DCing for hours...max 3 because my head gets really itchy, so if a heat cap will help infuse moisture and cut the dc'ing time down that would be awesome. I found some on amazon for like 30 bucks but I have had a few issues with amazon lately and dont wanna spend money I dont have.

I will look into a calmer clarifying..i originally bought it because I had been swimming and needed to get the chlorine out of my hair, I might hit up CVS today and see if I can find anything worth wild.

virtuenow

You should pre-poo on damp hair, otherwise the oils are just sitting there. Pre-poos are meant to penetrate deeply to protect the hair better. Here's a great example http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=509482. Why do you have to clarify so much? It's very stripping and not really necessary to use this often. A regular shampoo (or muds/oil wash) can get the job done w/o the damaging affect

hnntrr

You should pre-poo on damp hair, otherwise the oils are just sitting there. Pre-poos are meant to penetrate deeply to protect the hair better. Here's a great example http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=509482. Why do you have to clarify so much? It's very stripping and not really necessary to use this often. A regular shampoo (or muds/oil wash) can get the job done w/o the damaging affect

I am clarifying once a month to prevent build up, I thought I needed like specifically a clarifying shampoo because I wasnt sure if regular shampoo would eliminate all the build up. I mean I can get a moisturizing shampoo if its going to get all the build up off? Can a oil wash do the same as a shampoo?

And yeah I did notice better results with oil rinsing/pre-poo on wet hair as apposed to dry hair. I am still really early in my HHJ so I am still trying to figure out what works and what doesnt. I did hit a but of a setback these last few days though I think might be from the clarifying wash being too harsh, though.

What kind of shampoo's/mud washes do you suggest I use in place of it?

virtuenow

I am clarifying once a month to prevent build up, I thought I needed like specifically a clarifying shampoo because I wasnt sure if regular shampoo would eliminate all the build up. I mean I can get a moisturizing shampoo if its going to get all the build up off? Can a oil wash do the same as a shampoo?

And yeah I did notice better results with oil rinsing/pre-poo on wet hair as apposed to dry hair. I am still really early in my HHJ so I am still trying to figure out what works and what doesnt. I did hit a but of a setback these last few days though I think might be from the clarifying wash being too harsh, though.

What kind of shampoo's/mud washes do you suggest I use in place of it?

You don't need to clarify to "prevent" buildup-- you clarify to rid yourself of buildup that's already there. You wash regularly to prevent buildup. Non-sulfate shampoo's (like Shea Moisture) or mud wash (Terressentials) are great for this. Weekly poo's aught to do it. Diluting the poo's is a good idea as well. I do this in a color applicator bottle.

Clarifying treatments are when you have extreme buildup. If you are washing regularly and using natural products this should almost never happen. IN other words, clarifying should be on an as needed basis; not a regularly scheduled thing. When you do use it, you should follow up w/a moisturizing shampoo and then a moisture deep conditioner.

I do oil washes (or oil rinses) to rid myself of buildup; or after I go swimming. I have found it to be excellent. I try to stay away from clarifying b/c it is hair suicide as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:

hnntrr

I went and got Aussie moist shampoo and mop mixed greens moisture conditioner...do those sound good? I got them at cvs so I can always take them back and make a trip to the beauty supply store.

virtuenow

I went and got Aussie moist shampoo and mop mixed greens moisture conditioner...do those sound good? I got them at cvs so I can always take them back and make a trip to the beauty supply store.

I'm not familiar w/Aussie shampoo, but their conditioner is really cheap on my hair- and always left it hard. I'm sure the shampoo has sulfates, so it will be very stripping. Never heard of Mop.