Preparing my hair and scalp for a relaxer

caress

Hi ladies, I've been growing out an overprocessed relaxer for quite a while now. I've been getting a solid half an inch a month. I just took out my microbraids yesterday and am pressing my hair right now. Now I need to decide what do do with my hair next. I'm thinking I want to relax my hair again. All I need is an inch to an inch and a half cut off to get rid of my relaxed ends.

The problems are that my hair is uneven, my edges are a bit shorter than the rest of my hair, and my hair may be a bit stressed from the times that I've flatironed my hair while transitioning. I'm worried that my hair and scalp are not ready to receive a relaxer. What should I do to prepare for one? I know I have to wait at least 2 weeks.

Tracy

Caress,

First - are you sure sure sure you want to re;ax again - you taken a lot of time and care to grow out your relaxer and I'd hate to see you be sorry once you do it - just to think about - now moving on.... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

First - condition the heck out of your hair. Once every three days (no exceptions) for the next two weeks. Use a creamy protein type conditioner to build strength. Of course follow with a moisturizing one. That should mean about 4 treatments between now and the relaxer. Also check to see how strong your hair is feeling - wet and dry. Take a strand and slide your fingers down it slowly, or take a strand between two fingers on each hand and gently tug. If you snap without any resistance whatsoever, the hair is weak an dyou should condition some more before you relax.

Make sure your braids haven't made your scalp extra tender in any way by just paying attention to it while you care for it over the next few weeks. Give a bit of natural oil after a wash if you like (something really light - just to soothe) and be gentle about combing and brushing so you don't irritate it over the next two weeks.

Try not too use anything too stimulating - peppermint, rosemary oil etc. on the on the scalp between now and the relaxer. Again - we want the scalp calm and not angry in any way when we apply the relaxer.

Use a Mild /images/graemlins/grin.gif Lye relaxer and make sure you really research the stlyist well. Find someone you trust implicitly. Don't relax your hair until you find them. The application process is going to most important on virgin hair and you need someone to really do this well. make sure they base you. Base YOURSELF if you have to. But your scalp is no longer "used to" this process and you don't want it to tweak too hard. Nothing worse than being halfway thorugh a VIRGIN relaxer and having your scalp INSIST that you rinse. Half curly half straight - no t cute and you'll be mad. /images/graemlins/smile.gif and we want you happy....Good Luck. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

I gotta come back to RHC soon - I've been a bad girl..... /images/graemlins/blush.gif

caress

Hi Tracy! This is the best response I've gotten so far out of all the boards/groups I've posted this question at. In response to your question, I do know that for now I want relaxed hair. Before I had braids I was starting to wear my hair flatironed the majority of the time and it was taking too much effort to keep it straight.

I have wanted to do protein treatments even before I had braids but every time I did, my damaed ends would get very hard and tangled--this is even after using a moisturizing conditioner. I was thinking Redken Heavy Cream might work since it didn't have this effect on my hair. Is this considered a protein conditioner? At any rate I've pretty much only been using moisturizing conditoners and Joico Integrity as my leave-in (which appears to have some protein in it). I have had success with the L'Oreal Hair Fixer though. Perhaps that is my best option. For more info look here . It's a leave-in as well but you use it instead of a rinse-out conditoner.

Now about my scalp--it is tender right now and that does worry me. I just plan on being extra gentle with it. Funny thing is, it never ocurred to me to not use any stimulating oils on it. I was planning on using some rosemary oil in my shampoo. Thanks for pointing this out to me. It makes sense.

Lastly, I think I may have found a good hairdresser. We've talked a little and I get a sense that she and I are on the same page. I just have a few more questions to ask. I also want to talk to other hairdressers before I make a final decision. I hope to find one soon. I have a new guy in my life and I want to look extra cute for him. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Kitkat

Caress, Redken All Soft Heavy Cream is a moisturizing conditioner. I have used it and wasn't crazy about it - my hair felt a little stiff when I was combing it out. If it works for you, though, by all means go for it!!

Nyambura

surfer girl
Hi Caress. /images/graemlins/smile.gif In addition to Tracy's and Kitkat's advice, if you find your damaged ends tangled by protein conditioners, how about a protein preshampoo treatment instead? (e.g., organic mayonnaise - which has PLENTY of protein - mixed with olive oil?)

daviine

Hey Caress........you're considreing getting a relaxer? Were you originally transitioning to grow out the bad relaxer or were you actually considering going natural?

At any rate, I have NO advice but I just wanted to offer my support to you...it's been a while since we've "spoken".

Happy Holidays!

daviine

Tracy, that was excellent advice. I'm alsmost wishing I had a problem so that you could give me advice too. /images/graemlins/grin.gif I'm so glad that you're on this board........

Happy Holidays!!!!

caress

Well originally I was transitioning just because I was too scared to find a new hairdresser. Then I decided I might try to go natural while I was at it. Over time the relaxed ends have become damaged though. Now that it's been almost 2 years I'm ready for relaxed hair again. I'm not sure why but I tend to go back and forth like this. I'd say I've transitioned 4 times now. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Oh and thanks for the well wishes. This guy came on the scene when I had just about sworn off guys. We'll see what happens. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

JerseyGirl

Tracy always have the best advice. As a penetrating conditioner I would use Dudley's Hair Rebuilder This is what I use and let me tell you this stuff has brought life back to my hair). As far as a moisturizing conditioner, I would use Mizani Moisturfuse. This is another one of my all time favorites. They both costs $10.00 each and you can pick them up at any JcPenny's location. You will see a dramatic change in your two week period.

Also, use the S-Curl technique as well as airdrying your hair with the ponytail method. I also use Dark and Lovely's Hydrating Citrus Braid and Sheen Spray. I started using this on my daughter's hair when she had box braids every night and every morning. After 5 weeks, I took her braids out and washed her hair and let me tell you she had a total of 4 strands of hair that came out and her hair was soft that she moist. This spray is recommended for naturl and synthetic braids. It costs $4.79. This stuff is great on my new growth. Good Luck. If you are in the New York area, maybe you should use Marvin.

ms_kenesha

I second the use of Dark and Lovely's Hydrating Citrus Braid and Sheen Spray while in braids my sister used this when she had micros and a minimum amount of hair came out and her hair was so moisturized when we took them down. I on the other hand had micros didn't use this. I don't even remember what I used if anything and my hair was dry and broke like crazy and led to a 3 inch CHOP!!! That was in March.

caress

Ok why do I still have a question over 2 years later? I'm getting a touch-up tommorow and wouldn't you know it... i have underprocessing from the last 3 relaxers I got. I want to try to get this corrected but when I washed my hair the last time I got my hair fairly straight just from using Surge Ultra Max ans my blowdryer (with a comb attachment). I need for my hair to revert a little just so the hairstylist can see the underprocessed areas. What should I do?

Also for the future, how should I dry and style my hair before getting a relaxer? I used to always straighten the new growth assuming that the stylist would somehow know where to put the relaxer.

Lastly, if you have more general tips feel free to add them.

P.S. Not that anyone's interested but I'm still with the same guy and in November of this year it will be 3 years. Time flies.:)

Ashee

caress said:
Hi ladies, I've been growing out an overprocessed relaxer for quite a while now. I've been getting a solid half an inch a month. I just took out my microbraids yesterday and am pressing my hair right now. Now I need to decide what do do with my hair next. I'm thinking I want to relax my hair again. All I need is an inch to an inch and a half cut off to get rid of my relaxed ends.

The problems are that my hair is uneven, my edges are a bit shorter than the rest of my hair, and my hair may be a bit stressed from the times that I've flatironed my hair while transitioning. I'm worried that my hair and scalp are not ready to receive a relaxer. What should I do to prepare for one? I know I have to wait at least 2 weeks.

One thing is that you can relax the edges at the very end after you've done the rest of the head and smoothed over once. This will not allow the relaxer to stay on too long on the weaker parts of the hair.
When I last relaxed I put on some essential oils such as Garlic and Rosemary in order to protect my hair from over-relaxing and burning my scalp. It worked pretty well for me. I'm going to do it again in about 2 or 3 months.

Another thing is to stretch out your relaxer until your edges are at least 1 full inch of NG. This may involve overmoisturizing your roots on the rest of your scalp to keep them from drying & causing turmoil later on.

-HTH

Ashee

caress said:
Ok why do I still have a question over 2 years later? I'm getting a touch-up tommorow and wouldn't you know it... i have underprocessing from the last 3 relaxers I got. I want to try to get this corrected but when I washed my hair the last time I got my hair fairly straight just from using Surge Ultra Max ans my blowdryer (with a comb attachment). I need for my hair to revert a little just so the hairstylist can see the underprocessed areas. What should I do?

Also for the future, how should I dry and style my hair before getting a relaxer? I used to always straighten the new growth assuming that the stylist would somehow know where to put the relaxer.

Lastly, if you have more general tips feel free to add them.

P.S. Not that anyone's interested but I'm still with the same guy and in November of this year it will be 3 years. Time flies.:)

Wow I'm late... :)
Congrats on the relationship!! :grin:

Before you relax, don't straighten your roots... Wash about three days before the relaxer process along with a protien treatment for extra strength. When adding moisture don't put too much the day of or night before... depending on the stylist the relaxer my not be on long enough to straighten the way you want. Are you looking for bone straight or manageable curls? :ohwell:

Ashee

JerseyGirl said:
Tracy always have the best advice. As a penetrating conditioner I would use Dudley's Hair Rebuilder This is what I use and let me tell you this stuff has brought life back to my hair). As far as a moisturizing conditioner, I would use Mizani Moisturfuse. This is another one of my all time favorites. They both costs $10.00 each and you can pick them up at any JcPenny's location. You will see a dramatic change in your two week period.

Also, use the S-Curl technique as well as airdrying your hair with the ponytail method. I also use Dark and Lovely's Hydrating Citrus Braid and Sheen Spray. I started using this on my daughter's hair when she had box braids every night and every morning. After 5 weeks, I took her braids out and washed her hair and let me tell you she had a total of 4 strands of hair that came out and her hair was soft that she moist. This spray is recommended for naturl and synthetic braids. It costs $4.79. This stuff is great on my new growth. Good Luck. If you are in the New York area, maybe you should use Marvin.

What's Marvin? :confused:

GodMadeMePretty

Since your relaxer is tomorrow, I'd say to get a cheap conditioner and water spritz and spray it on your hair. Not only will that revert your hair, but it will provide a bit of protection to your already processed hair. Lisa Akbari says in her book to spray on hair vitamins and then sit under a cool dryer to make the new growth more pronounced. I figured out (because she didn't say so) that the hair vitamins is just conditioner. So, try that out. Spray on and sit under a cool dryer. No manipulation to your scalp whatsoever.