Preparing your scalp for a relaxer

T

Tee

I would appreciate any tips any of you may have for getting the scalp ready for a relaxer. I tend to burn in one particular area, and I'm looking for help on how to prevent that. My "burn spot" is also where my new growth is the thickest and toughest. Could this have anything to do with why I'm burning there?

Thanks,

Tee

Allandra

Base your entire scalp REALLY good (especially in your 'burn spot') and NO scratching (at least a few days before the relaxer touch-up). Good luck.

pebbles

I agree with what Allandra said. Also avoid washing your hair for 3-5 days prior to your relaxer.

Chichi

A week before my retouch, I lightly oiled my scalp every day with castor oil. Worked like a charm for me and I usually burn.

Chichi

AMBERSKYE

I base my scalp with Summit Sensitive Scalp. It's a scalp base which protects your scalp from burning. I usually apply the base to my scalp the night before my touch-up.
My beautician applies it to my hairline, ears, and the nape of my neck prior to the actual touch-up.

queenofmean68

Here are a couple of additional tips:

1. Do not wear a scarf, hat before getting your relaxer
2. Sit under the dryer with the setting on 'cold' or 'cool' for about 15mins. This will help close up the pores on the scalp

SweetNic_JA

[ QUOTE ]
queenofmean68 said:
Here are a couple of additional tips:

1. Do not wear a scarf, hat before getting your relaxer
2. Sit under the dryer with the setting on 'cold' or 'cool' for about 15mins. This will help close up the pores on the scalp

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds interesting!I might try that or perhaps storing the relaxer in the refridgerator. I'm aiming to relax on Friday or Saturday for the first time in 4 1/2 months.

As for the initial question: You should start basing your scalp with oil about a week b4, and continue basing it each day up until the day of the relaxer. Base your scalp with petroleum jelly right before the relaxer. You may consider putting conditioner (non/low protein) on your processed hair a few days b4 the relaxer and continue doing this up until the day of the relaxer. You should mix vaseline witih queen helene or its equivalent to protect your processed hair on the day of the relaxer .

good luck!

T

Tee

[ QUOTE ]
queenofmean68 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

This is such a great tip! Very innovative! I will definitely use this technique. Thanks for sharing it with us.