Press and Curl on Transitioning Hair

ezina

Hey, you guys.

So tomorrow I am getting my hair straightened (I am roughly 6 months into my transition). I know I've been on this forum long enough and I should know better, but what exactly entails a press and curl? I have searched and looked up the term on this site, youtube, and google but in each video or description I find, the process is a little different and some even contradictory. I've never had a press and curl before seeing that I've been relaxed since I was very little. Also, the people at the salon said that they would use a flat iron. I thought a press and curl meant using a hot comb? And what does the "curl" part of press and curl mean? Some people come out of a press and curl looking like they had a blown out rollerset!

If things work out, I plan to get press and curls about once a year and a few roller sets sprinkled in between. The salon I go to is really big on black hair care, and not necessarily on styling (although they're good at that, too!) so I've had no bad experiences with them so far.

Thanks!

When I transitioned I got my roots straightened with a pressing comb then she curled the ends with the flatiron.The stylist knew what she was doing so I had no damage to the natural hair. My relaxed ends became a lil more fragile but it worked out well until I big chopped those relaxed ends I didn't care about anyway.

Okay, I see. So now my understanding is that a press and curl is more about the method (roots straightened, ends curled) than the actual tools used. Correct me if I'm wrong. Otherwise, thanks, you guys! I guess I shouldn't have made a whole thread for such an easily answered question, lol.

Back