Pressing and End Care

dicapr

I am almost 7 months into my transition and I am considering using heat weekly and maybe continue to press my hair even after the transition is over. Naturals who use heat to straighten weekly or bi-weekly, how do you protect your ends. As a kid my mom wouldn't fully straighten my ends in an effort to prevent splits. Any other suggestions for preventing splits and retaining length. I think I will lightly blow dry weekly to stretch out the hair-kind of like a blow out 'fro and only use pressing combs/flat irons to completely straighten maybe once a month.

Jazzmommy

Good question... I would like to know too. I have been transitioning for about the same amount of time and now I have a new head of hair and don't know what to do with it.:)

lana

Hi well I'm a 4a natural for the past five years, but before this I used to relax. Anyways my hair is growing now, after much trial and error. My main error was ever pressing to begin with! My hair gets straight with just my blow dryer and Maxiglide. I wish I would have known this to begin with because pressing literally ripped out my hair and broke off my ends, even when a professional was wielding the comb.

I'm just very careful with heat when flat ironing. I realize that the ends are the oldest part of my hair and need gentle care. I also put extra conditioner on the ends of my hair when washing.

Maxiglide has literally saved my hair from ever having to be pressed again. Now it's thick and growing.

Jazzmommy

Thanks lana. I keep hearing about the Maxiglide but was wondering if it would straightened my 4A ends which are a problem when I use a ceramic iron.

Dearlove

I would also like to hear some responses on this. I am a 4something natural -- last relaxer was in July 01. My hair is about armpit, I really want to be sure of its length, but I am too terrified to flat iron/press to see the length. I have a Maxiglide, but the color is coming off of the pin plate. I love the way it gets the ends straight, but I'm afraid that it may pull the curl out of the hair. I've only used it a few times, with the heat not too high, but some of my strands have less curl on the lower half than the top.

dicapr

bumping again. Anyone here that uses heat to straighten their natural hair regularly and is still retaining lenghth? I did pick up a heat protectant that is supposed to be good to 400 degrees. My flat iron never makes it past 275.

lana

Sorry I just saw your responses jazzymommy and dearlove. The MG really does get my 4a/b ends straight, no other flat iron did that for me, I tried the Sedu (still have it), Chi (returned it) and before I knew what true ceramic was I used a Jilbere flat iron.

Anyways the MG hasn't damaged my hair and I've had it for about 3 months now or longer. I'm just really careful with the heat setting and sometimes to be honest my hair will revert if I don't use the right straightening serum or technique, it's all trial and error for me at this point.

I am retaining length now that I stopped pressing my hair for good. I would love to have a break from doing my own hair, but I know when I go to any salon they always want to use a pressing comb!!!! I'm done with pressing combs forever (although I keep the electric comb handy for my edges)! But the MG even gets my edges now that I know what I'm doing.

Oh and my hair reverts to Xtremely curly whenever it's wet so I know that I still have my curl pattern. It's not going anywhere.

Jazzmommy

lana said:
Sorry I just saw your responses jazzymommy and dearlove. The MG really does get my 4a/b ends straight, no other flat iron did that for me, I tried the Sedu (still have it), Chi (returned it) and before I knew what true ceramic was I used a Jilbere flat iron.

Anyways the MG hasn't damaged my hair and I've had it for about 3 months now or longer. I'm just really careful with the heat setting and sometimes to be honest my hair will revert if I don't use the right straightening serum or technique, it's all trial and error for me at this point.

I am retaining length now that I stopped pressing my hair for good. I would love to have a break from doing my own hair, but I know when I go to any salon they always want to use a pressing comb!!!! I'm done with pressing combs forever (although I keep the electric comb handy for my edges)! But the MG even gets my edges now that I know what I'm doing.

Oh and my hair reverts to Xtremely curly whenever it's wet so I know that I still have my curl pattern. It's not going anywhere.

Thanks! I might give the Maxiglide a try...

CynamonKis

I am natural and I may use the flat iron once every 2-3 months. After blow drying my hair with Lottabody Straight Stuff, I spray my hair with Paul Mitchell Seal & Shine heat protectant. I apply Dudley's Creme Press on my hair, particularly my ends. This seems to work well for me.

dicapr said:
I am almost 7 months into my transition and I am considering using heat weekly and maybe continue to press my hair even after the transition is over. Naturals who use heat to straighten weekly or bi-weekly, how do you protect your ends. As a kid my mom wouldn't fully straighten my ends in an effort to prevent splits. Any other suggestions for preventing splits and retaining length. I think I will lightly blow dry weekly to stretch out the hair-kind of like a blow out 'fro and only use pressing combs/flat irons to completely straighten maybe once a month.

Country gal

I am fully natural. I have used my MG twice. See the pics in my avatar and signature. My biggest issues was keeping my hair straight once it was Flat ironed. I used Redkens Heat Glide and EQ Curl wax. My hair reverted back completely. I did notice some strands had a looser curl pattern than before using MG.

What Heat protectants were successful for you?

healthyhairin07

dicapr said:
bumping again. Anyone here that uses heat to straighten their natural hair regularly and is still retaining lenghth? I did pick up a heat protectant that is supposed to be good to 400 degrees. My flat iron never makes it past 275.

I think it's great that you're conscious of heat damage. I wasn't when I got my hair pressed. I've only had it pressed twice since it's been natural, and some of the ends are still straight from when my former hairdresser pressed AND flat ironed it. I will have to cut the heat damaged parts out in order to wear my hair natural.

I think you may want to experiment with a small part of the back of your hair, using a heat protectant. See how it comes out and go from there. Make sure you wash it to ensure that it reverts back to your natural hair.

Can you please post pictures and let us know what products you used?