Pressing Question from a New Member

Afrodite

Hello Everybody, I am new to this board. I have been reading posting every chance I get. This board is very informative, knowledgeable and helpful.

I like to start off by telling you a little about myself. I have decided to go natural about 1 year and 4 months ago. When I made that decision to go natural my cousin and her two daughters went natural with me. I was so excited that I would have family to talk to about being natural. Our family doesn’t like the fact that we decided to go natural.

I started out wearing natural styles but my husband didn’t like them very much. I would still wear my natural styles anyway because I was hoping he would get use to them but he didn’t. So I decided to press.

I am going to order the Mr. John’s book, Hopefully; I can get more information on how to press my hair without damaging it. So far I have been doing okay. Except for the time I went to a salon to get my hair press and when I washed my hair I noted parts of my hair was damaged, so be careful who you let press your hair. I didn’t want to go to a salon to get a press because I like doing my own hair but I broke my arm and had no choice.

I would like to know for all of you that press, how do you keep your hair press in the summer months. I live in New Jersey and right now its winter and I don’t have any problems.

Thank you in advance for your help.

pebbles

Hi Afrodite,

Welcome to the board! I don't press my hair, but there are a lot of other women here that do. Good Luck! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

SVT

Welcome to the board Afrodite!

I haven't found any product that will keep a press from reverting at a least a little. I manage humid days by wearing my hair pulled back instead of out or using some hairspray. Sometimes I might use a little extra oil. If my hair's reverted beyond what I like, I repress press the frizzy areas.

If I sweat, depending on how much it reverted my hair, I'll either wash it again or apply some Seabreeze on my scalp then repress the reverted areas.

It all depends.

Lucia

If/when I press in the summer, I don't expect the stick straight look to hold. So I wear wavy styles even if it's a little puffy no one notices b/c of the style.
hth

VALLEYGIRL

Hello and welcome!!!

If I press (w/ a flat iron) my hair in the summer it always frizzes to some degree. Even now I can' t seem to beat the battle against the frizzies.
What has helped a little is using my ceramic iron my hair doesn't frizz as much and also Frizz Ease Moisture Barrier hair spray. This is an alcohol based product that will dry out your hair so I don't use it much but it does help.
Also at night a little Hollywood Beauty Olive oil cream gets rid of what has frizzed during the day. I apply this before I wrap it up.
HTH
Valleygirl

Afrodite

Thanks for your replies, welcomes and suggestions.

SVT-I can’t pull my hair back because my hair isn’t long enough yet. My hair was a little pass shoulder length when it was relaxed. But as soon as my hair is long enough, hopefully, by the summer I will be able to pull it back.

Lucia-Can you give me an example of one of your wavy styles. Thank you.

Valleygirl-Thank you for the products you suggested, I will try it and see if it works for me. I will only use the frizz Ease Moisture Barrier hair spray on special occasions.

I would like to know how often all of you press your hair and what product you use for pressing. How do you keep your hair from reverting during exercising?

Thanks again for responding.

Blackndiangirl

Heres what i use to press my hair,they hair a pressing creme called Just for Me Pressing Creme,(its got an ogange top on it) its very light and it isnt greasy, and you dont need but a little,cause it goes along way. Also i hear people talk about Dudleys Pressing Creme they also says that it works well and also i hear some people say they use wild growthoil. I hope this helps you. Good luck