Problem with washing my hair at home . . .

porkypig007

I now realize I'm the biggest idiot. /images/graemlins/mad.gif The only time I wash my hair is when I go to the salon--every 2 weeks. I quit trying to wash it myself because everytime I did it, my hair always came out big, dry-looking, and rigid; not soft, silky and bouncy like the salon does. Right now, what I do is, put organic root stimulator carrot oil every night and every morning I put organic root stimulator olive oil; wash at salon every 2 weeks; relax at salon every 6 weeks and possibly trim the ends then too. No vitamins, and all that stuff. But now, I see all this stuff I coulda been doing to help my hair grow faster, and I'm starting to panic! /images/graemlins/shocked.gif I've been doing all the wrong freaking stuff! Oh yeah, I curl my ends with a curling iron every single day! /images/graemlins/ooo.gif I'm so mad right now it's not even funny. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif So does anyone know what I can do to get my load back on track? Like, what can I use to wash my hair at home so I don't look frizzy all the time; ya know to get the salon look. And I sure didn't know hair should be washed as frequently as 3 days! Lord, I'm in trouble now... Help! What do I do? What do I dooo?!!! /images/graemlins/confused.gif And I definitely want to start taking vitamins. But i'm worried about side effects and don't know where to start. Like, do ya have to keep taking 'em? Can you ever stop? 'cuz I'm hoping they'll help my skin too.

Nubianrose

hey pp007, i think you might want to look into doing ROLLER SETS at home if a smooth look is what you want. also try and do deep conditioning treatments each time to shampoo/condition. you don't necessarily have to wash your hair every 3 days-some of the women do that for their scalp or when their hair starts to feel dry again. I would also suggest that u leave the curling iron alone for a loooong time-im sure you've realized that already tho. ok hope this helps-anything else jus hit me up.

Nubianrose

Integrity

porky, i felt like you when i went on the internet and found out the way hair is made to be taken care of. i was also wasting money each week at the hairstylists cos i thougth the salon look could be achieved only in a salon!

first thing to do if u havent done so already is to read as much as u can of the LHC hair achives plus old posts on THIS board. also check out cathy howse (www.ubhpublications.com) and carolyn grays (www.blackwomansguide.com) websites. u dont have to buy any of their products but just READ and let the information seep in.

u will need a consistent shampoo, deep conditioning and moisture balance regimen. its best to wash the hair twice a week but once a week is a good starting point. each shampoos works differently on each hair so u will have to experiment but the motions range are excellent and number one in the market. after u shampoo squeeze excess water and apply a deep conditioner (again, motions have an excellent one called moisture plus and CPR). this means apply the condioner and put on a plastic cap and sit under a hood or dome dryer for 15-30 minutes so it penetrates into the hairshaft. wash it out, let your hair AIR dry (dont blow your hair dry cos water is GOOD for your hair) apply a leave in creamy moisturizer when ur hair is damp to seal in moisture and then set or style your hair, whatever u want.

this is only a basic advice but with time and as u read more information u will become expert on your own hair within weeks and save money!!!

abandone heat appliances (u really dont need them), except for deep conditioning, buy a large tooth comb, moisturize ur hair DAILY and as much as possible, protect your ends with a moisturizer daily...

i think i have written enuff, the others will sure fill u in! /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Integrity

porky, there is also no harm in asking your stylist what they are using on your hair for washes and relaxers to give you some ideas and starting points when u start doing the washes yourself at home /images/graemlins/wink.gif

notsomebody

First of all, I don't think you are an idiot at all. I think your questions are very valid. Most of us had to start somewhere before we knew how to take care of our hair. That's what this board is for.
Some tips for washing your hair at home:
Do a hot oil treatment before you shampoo. I have done hot oil treatments on both dry and wet hair. The results are nice either way, but definitely more noticeable on wet hair. (If you don't want to have to get in the shower to wet your hair before applying the oil, you can use a spray bottle full of water to spray sections of your hair and apply oil to each section after it is wet. I like this method because I can mix things in the water like msm or essential oils) A good oil to use is Olive oil. Extra Virgin seems to do more than the others (but this is my opinion. I think it has something to do with the process of making the oil. Extra Virgin means that he olives have been pressed once and the oil is taken from them. The other types are from when the olives have been pressed and distilled and depending on how much they have been distilled the further away from the olive you get- which is why extra virgin has a stronger taste and smell than the others. ( you probably didn't want all of that info, but I learn some of the most interesting things where I work and tend to share them with whomever will listen)). Now with a hot oil treatment you can either heat the oil and then apply or apply and then heat using a heating cap, dryer, or hot towel. However you heat, make sure you have a plastic cap over your head to keep the heat on your hair.

Once you have done a hot oil treatment, you can shampoo. Be very careful. The trick is to keep your hair in one direction (this will help with tangles and will keep it straight). The best place to wash your hair is in the shower with it all facing towards the back. Which is kind of funny because I usually end up in the shower at least two times (rinse the hot oil and shampoo, then to rinse the deep conditioner) I think some of the other ladies have given some recommendations for shampoos on this board- some ladies even make their own. You can also wash your hair with conditioner- do a search on this site for more info on that. Once you have rinsed the shampoo (making sure that you have thoroughly rinsed those neglected areas in your kitchens and behind your ears), you are ready to condition.

Depending on your hair's condition you should use either a moisturizing or protein conditioner. IF you use a protien conditioner, follow it with a moisturizing one as protein will dry out your hair with continued use. Now, you don't have to go out and buy brand new conditioners especially if you are just starting up a routine. I have found that adding Extra virgin Olive Oil and Honey will boost the moisture and shine factor in practically any conditioner. (If you are a pj like the rest of us you probably have several discarded conditioners around your bathroom already). When you deep condition it is a good idea to use heat, although many ladies will simply add the conditioner and put on a plastic cap and let their body heat do the rest. IF you are pressed for time any of the same methods for applying heat to your hot oil treatment will work with deep conditioning as well. YOu want to deep condition for at least 15 minutes although I usually go at least 30 minutes usually an hour. (My hair has major issues with dryness so I tend to always do an hour once a week at least).

As far as styling, you want to use moisturizing products especially while your hair is wet (this will help with the comb out). Your goal whether your hair is wet or dry is to always have as little hair left in the comb as possible (Always check the comb when you go to a salon to make sure they haven't pulled your hair out while styling). You want to use things that will give your hair as much "slip" as possible because your hair is in its most fragile state when it is wet and when it is completely dried out. A really good leave in for wet hair is Profective break-free. I swear by this stuff for my comb outs.

The majority of the salon look is in the set. IF you get regular roller sets at the salon, pay attention to how they are done and then practice at home on dry hair until you feel confident enough to try a wet one. If you already know how to wrap your hair you are doing better than a lot of us were when we found this board.
Roller Sets: They are by far my personal favorite for a wet set. but they do take time and patience. IF you don't think you can be in a patient mood when doing your hair you may be better off finding someone who can do them for you.
Pony Tail Sets: These are great if you don't have time to really set your hair (Especially after the hot oil, shampoo, and deep conditioning). Do a search for ponytail method on this board and you should be able to find instructions. If you have a good bit of new growth you can set your hair in multiple pony tails to get the root straight. Just remember that the goal of the pony tail is to straighten the roots by holding the hair firmly in one direction. Don't make the ponytail too tight or you will end up pulling your hair out at the edges. Try to use a ribbon, or an elastic that doesn't have metal clasps on them something smooth is always best so that your hair does not get snagged on them.
Wrap Sets: I love the way wraps look, but I myself don't look good in the traditional ones. My hair is too bushy at the crown to lay down properly and tends to get matted. So, I usually will ponytail or bun the crown and wrap the rest.

In the end, its about your hair and what works best for it. Surf this site, there are some very good advice and some great tips and recommendations here.
As for Vitamins, they aren't necessarily for everyone. I have noticed that they help with not only growth but keeping hair on my head longer. If you are worried start with a basic routine. A multivitamin is always good. I also recommend Ultranourishair by GNC. UltraNourishair already contains many of the vitamins that some of us take in single doses (msm and biotin for example), so if you are going to have any side effects you will notice them from the Ultranourishair and you can adjust your single intake accordingly. You are not by any means required to take them for the rest of your life. However, you will notice a gradual difference if you stop taking them for a while - for me it was increased shedding. Now if you have problems with dry hair, water is key. I don't mean just putting it on, but drinking it is important. I don't know how true it is about the 8 glasses a day. I think that is more dependant on the individual, but if you are noticing that your skin and hair are really dry, or if you constantly have chapped lips, those are small signs of dehydration and should not be ignored.

Sorry this is so long, I hope I was able to help. Feel free to ask any questions, and welcome to the board.

pebbles

You are not an idiot!!

A lot of us were washing our hair once every two weeks. It was a hard habit to break for me because I always believed too much water would rot my hair away. The ladies here can give you excellent advice. Notsomebody mentioned getting Cathy Howes book, it really helped me see my hair in a new light. I also liked Shamboosies beautiful black hair book as well. You will get to know what really works and what doesn't. The advice given here is worth following! /images/graemlins/smile.gif Don't worry, you will get it right!

sweetcocoa

You are not an idiot! I was overwhelmed at first also. Just start doing one thing at a time....like first stop using the curling iron everyday. I started only with a multi- vitamin. I only just recently added essential fatty acids. Some ladies takes many vitamins...I'm not one of them. It's hard enough for me to take the few I do take. Learn how to shampoo your own hair at least once between shampoos(on the opposite week you go to the salon). Take things slowly and you'll get there. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif