Product reviews- does it matter who?

B

Bublnbrnsuga

Hey ladies, does it matter to you who gives a product a review? If you have type 4a hair and someone with type 2c hair says that so-in-so was great, do you ignore the comment or do you give it a try? What about those who are relaxed? Do you take product review advice from someone who's natural? Naturals, same question applies.

Bublnbrnsuga wanna be startin' something! (Michael Jackson's song in the background!)

Ok... :look: um....:perplexed hmmm.. :ohwell: Yes, it matters who gives the review of the product. I look for knowledge, credibility, sensibility, constructive criticism and experience in reviews, not only in hair products, but in other things as well.
As a (new) natural :)yay:), I would not necessarily ignore or rebuke a product review from a darling relaxed head, but again, as with any review, I would look for that relaxed head (or other textured natural head) to demonstrate their knowledge and reasoning about how a product might respond on a natural head, based on ingredients, hair type, etc.

Bottom line, one has to know what they're talking about, kick some knowledge and be able to back it up with relevant, timely, and practical information! ;)

I take reviews from everyone. I figure, if a product works and does what it's supposed to, i.e. a moisturizer should moisturize anyone's hair, than it doesn't matter who gives a review of it.

I look at everyone's advice, but to be honest I stick with the opinions coming from the people with type 4 hair:ohwell:

I basically go with majority. So, if a mixture of a lot of relaxed, natural, texlaxed, and/or transitioning ladies rave about something, I will try it. But if only naturals (or texlaxed) rave about something, I won't because I'm not natural (or texlaxed). But I will keep it in mind for when I become natural.

And as far as type goes, I probably won't try something that someone suggests if they have a type of hair that I KNOW I dont have. I'm not sure what my type IS. So, I try products raved about by ladies in the lower 3's and ladies in the 4's. But I KNOW I'm not a 2, so I won't go there.

Oh (okay last one) and I will try products recommended by someone who's hair doesn't like cones, because my hair doesn't. Basically, if their hair is similar to mines, I'll try their recommendation!! Experience and length of time taking care of hair doesn't really matter to me, because being a newbie doesn't mean I can't learn from them.

And Bublnbrnsuga, your hair is MARVELOUS DARLING!!

RelaxerRehab said:
Bublnbrnsuga wanna be startin' something! (Michael Jackson's song in the background!)

Ok... :look: um....:perplexed hmmm.. :ohwell: Yes, it matters who gives the review of the product. I look for knowledge, credibility, sensibility, constructive criticism and experience in reviews, not only in hair products, but in other things as well.
As a (new) natural :)yay:), I would not necessarily ignore or rebuke a product review from a darling relaxed head, but again, as with any review, I would look for that relaxed head (or other textured natural head) to demonstrate their knowledge and reasoning about how a product might respond on a natural head, based on ingredients, hair type, etc.

Bottom line, one has to know what they're talking about, kick some knowledge and be able to back it up with relevant, timely, and practical information! ;)

:lol: This was not my intent. For me, to help curve product junkyism, I don't listen to everyone's viewpoints. This even extends to browsing albums for inspiration,too. If your hair ain't like mine or close to it, then I proceed with caution cause I don't have the time. (I should've been a rapper :lol: )

Oh, thanks Twana for the compliment :)

Last edited by a moderator:
RelaxerRehab said:

That had me laughing! Now the song is in my head.

Letitia said:
That had me laughing! Now the song is in my head.

LOL, I know! Now I keep singing, "You're a vegetable, you're a vegetable!" :lachen: Back on topic, I take advice from mostly 4a/b's, but the biggest factor is COARSENESS (is that a word?) of hair. If someone's hair is really coarse, and they suggest a product, I'm going right out to buy it! Well, I'm trying to curb my PJ ways, lol.

Bublnbrnsuga said:
:lol: This was not my intent. For me, to help curve product junkyism, I don't listen to everyone's viewpoints. This even extends to browsing albums for inspiration,too. If your hair ain't like mine or close to it, then I proceed with caution cause I don't have the time. (I should've been a rapper :lol: )

Oh, thanks Twana for the compliment :)

Awww! I know! Just good fun.... I understand what you mean about not provoking product junky-ism.... I'm still in rehab (but I have earned enough points for weekend visits!) so I try to be careful about what I expose myself to (and to save some money! I had a product junky summer and I "needs" to chill!!!!

Yep it matters to me.

Imma be real and say what works for a 2c just might not work for this 4b of mines. But it was a white hair forum that got me hooked on to Aveda DR, so who knew.

But I will be quick to take any natural's advice. Especially on moisture.

Well, since you said product reviews and not hair advice, I will take reviews from anyone on this board no matter what hair type they have. Of course, I will heed to the advice of posters whose hair type is like my own, but that doesn't mean that I wouldn't respect the review of a natural just because I am relaxed. I see a lot of naturals and relaxers using some of the same products.

Then again, everything doesn't work for everybody. I will try the product and if it doesn't work, to the trash it does. If it does, I am on my way to long, healthy hair.

Bublnbrnsuga, your hair is gorgeous. I would respect your reviews anyday!

I read all product reviews, searching for that Holy Grail of Hair:grin: Hair type definitely matters. Someone with a loose curl won't undestand my mean 4a/4b.
Everyone started their hair journey one product at a time, so to me length of time at the journey isn't the deciding factor. A dizzying number of products are being added and updated, we need all the help we cant get!!!

RelaxerRehab said:
Awww! I know! Just good fun.... I understand what you mean about not provoking product junky-ism.... I'm still in rehab (but I have earned enough points for weekend visits!) so I try to be careful about what I expose myself to (and to save some money! I had a product junky summer and I "needs" to chill!!!!

I knew it was all in fun, now 'help me say, mamasay mamasa mumacusa!'

:lachen:

No because I'm not a PJ:lol:
I think the last time I even looked at a product was 6 months ago.

Last edited:
LOL...it matters to some. If it didn't all y'all would have had Qhemet Heavy Cream in your cabinet a year and a half ago. :lol: Now...I'm telling yall...dont sleep on Giovanni's magnetic line. The shampoo and condtioner are the bomb!! The power conditioner I can take or leave. I dont wanna see y'all discovering this for the first time in another year and a half. :lol:

Bublnbrnsuga said:
Hey ladies, does it matter to you who gives a product a review? If you have type 4a hair and someone with type 2c hair says that so-in-so was great, do you ignore the comment or do you give it a try? What about those who are relaxed? Do you take product review advice from someone who's natural? Naturals, same question applies.

I'm on the naughty side...lol. I spend wayyyy too much time on this site already so I tend to ignore the threads about natural heads. I know I may be missing some good info but the pessimist in me makes me sift through all the clutter and find the relaxed 3-4 texture folks and get their input on products and regimens. I also pay special attention to people to people who have thin hair because mine is on the fine to medium side.
:)

Curl size isn't a big deal to me, its more about texture, length, and frizz factor. If someone with medium textured (not fine, not coarse), normal (as far as dryness) hair recommends a product for definition/moisture I will consider it. The products I have found to be staples were recommended by a 3a (curls rock poo), 3b (bubble up), and 3c (avocado butter). I wasn't looking for these types specifically, but what worked for them in the end worked for me and would probably work for others if they give them a shot. Just look past type and look at texture.

I look for at those who share my hair routines--if you're curly girl or bohemian (low product), I'll look with most interest there, because mostly likely you'll be reviewing products that I can use.

It may be wrong to think this way, but I tend to take advice from people w/ my 4ab hair type because we tend to need more moisture than a looser curled 3ac etc. What's moisturizing for them may not be as moisturizing for us and vice versa what's moisturizing for us may be too greasy or heavy for them. See what I mean?

since i am new to the forum or any hair care forum i am taking all reviews.

but as far as seriously going out an buying a product it needs to be from someone with hair similar to mine. 3b-4a range.

Bublnbrnsuga your hair actually looks alot like mine so i would take advice from you,. not to get off topic but your highlights look GOOD i actaully am thinking of getting some like that but i will probably wait b4 making any changes like that.

Cheleigh said:
I look for at those who share my hair routines--if you're curly girl or bohemian (low product), I'll look with most interest there, because mostly likely you'll be reviewing products that I can use.

Does bohemian mean free? Low maintenance?

Bublnbrnsuga said:
Does bohemian mean free? Low maintenance?

Bohemian is basically styling product free hair. Doing a wash and go, and not adding gels, butters, creams, or products after the CW. It stemmed from a challenge started by a poster on another forum, where she challenged other curly heads to see how the hair might look if you minimized your dependence on styling products. Basically, a lot of women discovered that they were over producting their hair.

I discovered that a washing/conditioning conditioner is all I REALLY need for a good hair day. I am modified bohemian because I like adding a pinkie full of emulsified gel that gets rinsed out before I add my leave-in (which I also don't need, but prefer).

i tend to stick to reviews from folks with similar hair types. especially people who happen to like a lot of the same products that i like.

has anyone used curls products from curls.biz? if so, what was your experience with them and which products worked for you? tia!

I'm open to all reviews. But, in the end, the person who has hair that seems "most similiar" to mine holds the most weight. Obviously, that doesn't mean what works for her will work for me. But I think that because there are so many products a person could try, I find it more productive to consider products that a 4b or 4a has had success with.

I take review from people who I think have healthy hair. It doesnt matter if this person is natural or relaxed.

I leared about Aloe Vera Gel from a natural. (thanks bubblnbrnsuga)
Oyin Products I learned about from a natural. I love everyone I have I have tried from this company.

TSUPrincess04 (relaxed and colored) has hipped me to TIGI Oatmeal and Honey and the Baisen Detangle spray. (Not sure if that is spelled right.)
Michelle3817 hooked me up to Essastions. (Relaxed.)

So I dont care if it's coming from a natural or a relaxed head. I just look for good sound reviews.

TSmith...thanks for hooking me up with the Shampooing techniques! (Relaxed)

no, it does not matter.
if the person is sportin' a head full of healthy, thriving hair, and they take care of it by themselves, then I'll read their suggestions, advice, reviews, etc :)

A person's hair type, texture, etc... does not matter to me. If it did, then, I would rarely pay any attention to products that people have mentioned b/c I have an unusual hair type. I am in love :love: w/ White Rain Tropical Coconut Conditioner, which, was raved about by MonaLisa and we don't share the same hair type. If I had closed my eyes and mind to her review, then, I would have missed out on a gem.

Thanks again, MonaLisa!
4.gif

I tend to listen to those who have raved about a product that has 4a/b hair. No matter the peorson.Nothing is wrong with the other hair types raves, it is just in the past I have purched a product that was raved about by people who have had diff hair types and ended up disapointed.

Back