Protective Style Wearers

H

HoneyRockette

Do you leave your hair in the same style until your wash day or do you take your style down every night and comb it? I have been wearing the same bun for a week and a half. I thought I was supposed to leave it up until I wash it again but my sister said that hair needs to breathe /images/graemlins/perplexed.gif Won't taking your hair down every day to comb it defeat the purpose of "protective" styling? Isn't NOT touching the hair or minimal styling rather the point of protective styling?

nita4

Honeyrockette,

I take mine down every morning, spray with a moisturizer and pin back up. I do the same thing every evening. Making sure I keep my hair moist, especially my new growth.

I shampoo and condition every three days. From weeks 1 to 8, I wet set on Fri night/Satur. morning and wear out, but come Sunday night I pin back up for the work week.

When I shampoo in the middle of the week, I air dry, pin up and go.

Between weeks 8 - 13, I wash, condition, air dry and pin up every three days until touch up time.

I don't think it defeats the purpose of protective styling. It is still less manipulation on your hair. I have to comb my hair because my french roll/twist, etc /images/graemlins/laugh.gif would start to look pretty funky if I didn't comb daily. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Besides, I wear my hair up mostly because I don't have alot of time and I'm lazy. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

mahogani

you really should let your hair breathe sometime through out the day i usually wear my hair down and wrap my hair and night and before i wrap my hair i give my hair a scalp massage every night. /images/graemlins/wave.gif

Honi

There is no board.
I think the idea of protective styling according to Wanakee was to keep your moist and unsplit ends protected from the air which dries your ends if left to blow in the wind say or rub against your clothing.
I take mine down everynite to moisturize and oil and then either wrap it or put it in a bun before I tie it up with my scarf.

H

HoneyRockette

Would I be doing a whole lot of damage if I didn't take it down and let my hair breathe?

caress

I take my bun down most nights and oil the ends then I put it back up in a loose bun (withought combing or brushing it) and tie it up with a silk scarf. Then in the morning I put it back in a bun and do a very minimal amount of brushing (if needed) around the edges preferably with my baby brush.

NAY007

honey rockette, i have a question: how do you keep your hair smooth if you don't take the bun out for 1 1/2 weeks? i am just interested in what products you use for that.
i wear my hair in protective styles 28 days out of thirty.
but i always take the style out at the end of the day. then i braid my hair (one braid) and go to sleep. in the morning i spray a leave in and moisturize my hair and then i put it in a different protective style. sometimes i change it twice a day. it depends. but wearing your hair in a protective style does not mean you have to keep your hair in that same bun for that long. how many times a week/month do you wash&condition your hair?

nita4

/images/graemlins/wave.gif Hi Pebbles, really? My hair isn't nearly as healthy and nice as yours "yet", but I'm working on it. Have a blessed weekend!!

nita4

When you guys mention spraying in a leave in daily...what are you using?? I just moisturize, but a leave in would be helpful.

H

HoneyRockette

I sleep with a stocking cap and a silk scarf over it so when I wake it is is still in place. I wash my hair once a week or whenever it feels especially funky.