Protein Intake

brismom

I know that protein is need for hair health but the protein shakes I had been drinking daily had gotten quite expensive. I have a book called How To Be Your Own Nutritionist by Stuart M. Berger, M.D. In that book there is a formula that helps you determine the amount of protein needed for general health. The book also discusses nutrients necessary for healthy hair. Well anyway, based on the formula given in the book I determined that I needed 80 grams of protein per day, just for general health. For fast and healthy hair growth, more is obviously needed. So then I found an eating plan that includes enough protein for general as well as hair health. The Firm has an eating plan included in its Firm Body Sculpting Systen 2 that is high in protein. The average protein intake per day is about 115 grams but the range is anywhere from 98 grams to 165 grams. Some days the protein comes in the form of shakes or a protein bar, but most days, the protein comes just plain old food. And If you don't want to deal with protein supplements at all, you can just get menu ideas from other days (it's a thirty day plan). And if that's not enough, the plan is only 1500 calories and is composed of three meals and two snacks! (No, I do not represent The Firm, it's just a great program) I thought about trying to post the eating program but after speaking with my attorney (my sister) I decided to just tell you about it especially since I don't really have time for prison
. Anyway, the Firm's website is www.firmdirect.com. Just thought y'all liked to know.

brismom

Update: I just bought Dr. Phil's Ultimate Weight Solution Food Guide. In it he talks about the importance of protein in your diet and gives an estimate of how much protein is necessary based on the number of calories consumed daily. All of his eating plans prescribe a lot of protein and he doesn't get any of his protein for supplemental sources. All of his protien comes from food. A real budget saver!!!!

brismom

OK! Here's the formula:
1) Weight in pounds divided by 2.2= weight in kilograms.
2) Multiply your weight in kilograms by 0.8(to get RDA of protein) OR multiply your weight in kilograms by 1.2-1.8(if you are really active)
For example, if you weight 150lbs you would divide that weight by 2.2 to get 68 kilograms. Then multiply that number, 68 kg, by 1.2(less if you don't really exercise, more if you are very active). The result is 81.6 grams of protein per day.
That's how much you need to be healthy. I suppose you could add more to maximize hair growth. However, the nutritionist on the site where I got the formula said that if you take in more protein thatn you need, the excess will be converted to fat. I'm not sure how true that is because in order for your body to store anything as fat, it must convert it to glucose. I'm not sure that protein can be turned into glucose. I think protein is broken down into the essential and non essential animo acids and the access is secreted from your body. Well anyway, there's the information. Do with it what you will.