Protein info for hair growth and loss

guyanesesista

Here is some info I posted a few months ago on BHM. I think it will help alot of ladies here as well as lurkers

Protein deficiency hairloss
I was thinking about the cause of my hairloss that I found out about from my trichologist. I was also thinking about other ladies here who are suffering from hairloss and trying things that just aren't working. Have you found out the source of your hairloss from a professional? You may want to go this route. I found this article and although I also lost hair from traction alopecia too, my poor diet caused the hair not to grow back and more hair to fall out at about the same rate described in this article.
What do ya'll think about this article?

Hair loss caused by lack of protein in the diet
Date updated: July 03, 2006
Robin Parks, MS
Content provided by Healthwise
Hair loss may occasionally be caused by lack of protein in the diet. Some people who go on crash diets that exclude protein or who have abnormal eating habits may develop protein malnutrition. When this happens, the body will help save protein by shifting growing hairs into the resting phase. Increased hair shedding can occur 2 to 3 months later.
This condition can be reversed and prevented by eating the proper amount of protein and, when dieting, maintaining adequate protein intake. For adults, this means 2 to 3 servings of protein a day. Protein is found in meat, chicken, fish, eggs, some cheeses, dried beans, tofu, grains, and nuts.
For more information, see the topic Healthy Eating.

http://www.revolutionhealth.com/healthy-living/mens-health/mirror/hair-loss/hair-loss-protein

ALOE VERA
I have done alittle research about amino acids needed for hairgrowth and have found these two sources. According to the research I did there are "Five amino acids are of particular relevance to hair growth"(ezinearticles) and I have found by comparing and contrasting that aloe vera has 4 of those amino acids needed for hairgrowth.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Top-Nutritional-Tips-To-Support-Healthy-Hair-Growth&;id=4086

Protein is composed of the amino acids essential for the building of new cells, including hair. Five amino acids are of particular relevance to hair growth - cystine, cysteine, methionine, arginine and lysine.

And...
http://www.herballegacy.com/Baldwin_Chemical.html

The amino acids in Aloe vera are the building blocks of protein and influence our brain function. Humans require 22 amino acids and the body will make all of them except for eight essential amino acids which our body gets from the food/drinks that we take in. Every one of the essential amino acids are available in Aloe vera and they include isoleucine, leucine, lysine, methionine, phenylalanine, threonine, valine,and tryptophan. Some of the other non-essential amino acids found in Aloe vera include alanine, arginine, asparagine, cysteine, glutamic acid, glycine, histidine, proline, serine, tyrosine, glutamine, and aspartic acid.34

Any questions, comments or corrections are welcome.

HIGH PROTEIN FOODS
Shortcut: An ounce of meat or fish has approximately 7 grams of protein.
Beef
Hamburger patty, 4 oz – 28 grams protein
Steak, 6 oz – 42 grams
Most cuts of beef – 7 grams of protein per ounce
Chicken
Chicken breast, 3.5 oz - 30 grams protein
Chicken thigh – 10 grams (for average size)
Drumstick – 11 grams
Wing – 6 grams
Chicken meat, cooked, 4 oz – 35 grams
Fish
Most fish fillets or steaks are about 22 grams of protein for 3 ½ oz (100 grams) of cooked fish, or 6 grams per ounce
Tuna, 6 oz can - 40 grams of protein
Pork
Pork chop, average - 22 grams protein
Pork loin or tenderloin, 4 oz – 29 grams
Ham, 3 oz serving – 19 grams
Ground pork, 1 oz raw – 5 grams; 3 oz cooked – 22 grams
Bacon, 1 slice – 3 grams
Canadian-style bacon (back bacon), slice – 5 – 6 grams
Eggs and Dairy
Egg, large - 6 grams protein
Milk, 1 cup - 8 grams
Cottage cheese, ½ cup - 15 grams
Yogurt, 1 cup – usually 8-12 grams, check label
Soft cheeses (Mozzarella, Brie, Camembert) – 6 grams per oz
Medium cheeses (Cheddar, Swiss) – 7 or 8 grams per oz
Hard cheeses (Parmesan) – 10 grams per oz
Beans (including soy)
Tofu, ½ cup 20 grams protein
Tofu, 1 oz, 2.3 grams
Soy milk, 1 cup - 6 -10 grams
Most beans (black, pinto, lentils, etc) about 7-10 grams protein per half cup of cooked beans
Soy beans, ½ cup cooked – 14 grams protein
Split peas, ½ cup cooked – 8 grams
Nuts and Seeds
Peanut butter, 2 Tablespoons - 8 grams protein
Almonds, ¼ cup – 8 grams
Peanuts, ¼ cup – 9 grams
Cashews, ¼ cup – 5 grams
Pecans, ¼ cup – 2.5 grams
Sunflower seeds, ¼ cup – 6 grams
Pumpkin seeds, ¼ cup – 19 grams
Flax seeds – ¼ cup – 8 grams

Stella B.

Thanks for doing the research and the legwork for us on this one! Great info that we can study and use! Nothing beats knowing the science behind the subject matter. Thanks for helping us learn about hair!!! :drunk: