Protein shakes and muscle

angie10

The ladies that are drinking protein shakes, are you gaining muscle? what kind of protein shakes are you drinking?

I use NOW Whey (unflavored) mixed with BSN Syntha-6 Strawberry.

For the record, just increasing your protein intake without adding resistance training is NOT going to add any significant muscle mass whatsoever. If there is weight gain, it will most likely be from an increase in caloric intake from the shakes (could be fat if you've over your caloric threshhold) and not from an increase in muscle density from taking the shakes alone.

VWVixxen said:
training is NOT going to add any significant muscle mass whatsoever. If there is weight gain, it will most likely be from an increase in caloric intake from the shakes (could be fat if you've over your caloric threshhold) and not from an increase in muscle density from taking the shakes alone.
ITA ! Thanks for sharing, Miss Lady!

VWVixxen said:
I use NOW Whey (unflavored) mixed with BSN Syntha-6 Strawberry.

For the record, just increasing your protein intake without adding resistance training is NOT going to add any significant muscle mass whatsoever. If there is weight gain, it will most likely be from an increase in caloric intake from the shakes (could be fat if you've over your caloric threshhold) and not from an increase in muscle density from taking the shakes alone.

Thanks for the info Vixxen, that's very helpful:)

At first no. I use the designer whey protien shakes. It actually makes you feel full after you used it a while. But I managed to gained a few pounds. So I stop using it. I am buying more in a few days and I am seriously going to have to watch my diet to make sure I do go over on the calories. I want more hair not more weight.:lol:

Last edited:
EbonyHairedPrincess said:
At first no. I use the designer whey protien shakes. It actually makes you feel full after you used it a while. But I managed to gained a few pounds. So I stop using it. I am buying more in a few days and I am seriously going to have to watch my diet to make sure I do go over on the calories. I want more hair not more weight.:lol:

Make sure you drink lots of water as you increase your protein intake, keep that nitrogen balance in check and make it easier on your liver & kidneys!

EbonyHairedPrincess said:

Shoot, my pants was starting to fit a little tighter. I figured I might be gaining muscle, but I know it's fat:lol: I like how vixxen broke it down, because I wasn't really watching the calories. I was drinking that shake like it's water.

Angie...

One more thing to consider also is if you're drinking protein shakes vs. meal replacement shakes! That can make a WORLD O' DIFFERENCE!!

MRPS will always have a higher carb count and maybe more protein (this equates to more calories per shake).

Proteins shakes will have lower (to no carbs) and thus a lower calorie value per shake.

For example: Cytosport Muscle Milk yields 348 calories per shake (that's in water, add another 150 for 8 ounces of 2% Low Fat (even higher if you use whole milk! :shocked:

Compare that to: NOW WHey Protein Isolate which yields 155 calories per shake (in water). When you're counting calories it all matters!

Consider this in closing, more carbs often means more water retention too! And....it takes 3500 calories to make 1 lb of fat or muscle. So...if you were to add only 1 MRP w/2% low fat a day for a week, you'd gain a pound of something (provided you go over your caloric threshhold daily)!! If you're adding a few shakes a day...see what happens?

:look:

VWVixxen said:
Angie...

One more thing to consider also is if you're drinking protein shakes vs. meal replacement shakes! That can make a WORLD O' DIFFERENCE!!

MRPS will always have a higher carb count and maybe more protein (this equates to more calories per shake).

Proteins shakes will have lower (to no carbs) and thus a lower calorie value per shake.

For example: Cytosport Muscle Milk yields 348 calories per shake (that's in water, add another 150 for 8 ounces of 2% Low Fat (even higher if you use whole milk! :shocked:

Compare that to: NOW WHey Protein Isolate which yields 155 calories per shake (in water). When you're counting calories it all matters!

Consider this in closing, more carbs often means more water retention too! And....it takes 3500 calories to make 1 lb of fat or muscle. So...if you were to add only 1 MRP w/2% low fat a day for a week, you'd gain a pound of something (provided you go over your caloric threshhold daily)!! If you're adding a few shakes a day...see what happens?

:look:

Oh wow, I had two kinds of protein shakes. One said MRS, but I still ate after drinking it:look: I wasn't even looking at the calories. That shake is nature's plus spiru-tein shake. I rotate that with a hemp seed shake, I'm not sure if it's a MRS. I also eat after drinking that. I don't drink the hemp seed one as much anymore. I see where my mistake is based on what you discribed. I can clearly see why I was gaining weight, and plus I only walk on treadmill; So I couldn't gain muscle from doing that right? Thanks vixxen.

angie10 said:
Oh wow, I had two kinds of protein shakes. One said MRS, but I still ate after drinking it:look: I wasn't even looking at the calories. That shake is nature's plus spiru-tein shake. I rotate that with a hemp seed shake, I'm not sure if it's a MRS. I also eat after drinking that. I don't drink the hemp seed one as much anymore. I see where my mistake is based on what you discribed. I can clearly see why I was gaining weight, and plus I only walk on treadmill; So I couldn't gain muscle from doing that right? Thanks vixxen.

From walking on the treadmill...you won't gain muscle at all. However, You can to some extent tone your glutes, hams and calves by using an incline position. ;) (Double your results with one exercise!)

HTH!

VWVixxen said:
From walking on the treadmill...you won't gain muscle at all. However, You can to some extent tone your glutes, hams and calves by using an incline position. ;) (Double your results with one exercise!)

HTH!

Walking on an incline can really but the fire in your buns. I tried it recently to switch things up and :eek: my booty was burning. I also do walking lunges on the treadmill too.

gymfreak336 said:
I also do walking lunges on the treadmill too.

I thought I was the only fruit cake who did those (I get the strangest looks from other cardioers)!! I found my new best friend!! :wave:

Don't those work?!?!?!

VWVixxen said:
I thought I was the only fruit cake who did those (I get the strangest looks from other cardioers)!! I found my new best friend!! :wave:

Don't those work?!?!?!

They work like a charm. I had been slacking in the gym for the last couple of months so I had to get back on track after all look at my screen name. These bad boys help lift the tush like no other as well as hit that spot right where your hammies and booty meet. People used to look at me funny until I suggested they try it with me. :cool:

gymfreak336 said:
These bad boys help lift the tush like no other as well as hit that spot right where your hammies and booty meet.

Ahhh, the ever coveted glute tie-ins...I should tell you about an exercise my trainer showed me that targets those...you do them on the lying curl machine...I'll PM you!

VWVixxen said:
Ahhh, the ever coveted glute tie-ins...I should tell you about an exercise my trainer showed me that targets those...you do them on the lying curl machine...I'll PM you!

Thanks that is my weak point. I gotta pull my hammies up.

gymfreak336 said:
Walking on an incline can really but the fire in your buns. I tried it recently to switch things up and :eek: my booty was burning. I also do walking lunges on the treadmill too.

Okay vixxen and gymfreak, slow it down a little so I can catch up:lol: So If I set the incline pretty high on the treadmill, it's suppose to give me a lift? The higher the better, and how are you doing the walking lunges on the treadmill? That's sounds kind of hard, but I will try it:D

angie10 said:
Okay vixxen and gymfreak, slow it down a little so I can catch up:lol: So If I set the incline pretty high on the treadmill, it's suppose to give me a lift? The higher the better, and how are you doing the walking lunges on the treadmill? That's sounds kind of hard, but I will try it:D

A basic incline program for you to start at is as follows.

1) Warm up at a easy pace for 10 mins
2) Then start raising the incline 2 points every 3 mins
3) Keep going until you get the treadmills limit
4)Stay there for 10mins
5)Work your way back down the same way you started

Your will feel all of this in your tushie. Keep your pace steady, don't take it too easy. You should be able to talk a little. If you are gasping for air and look like you are dying slow it down but don't change the incline

With the walking lunges, just keep the treadmill on a slow and I mean slow pace. Get on it and do your walking lunges.

Great advice GymFreak!! I'm going to try that this morning at the gym!

I always like to add: please listen to your body with all of this! If you have bad knees or start to feel unusual pains in them, back off. A knee ligament strain takes WEEKS to heal, trust me, I know! :(

If you've not in condition to follow this regimen without stopping, work up to it! If you can only do 2 minutes at a time, work at your pace. What she proposed is tough, walking lunges are hard, on an incline makes it harder still! And do follow her advice, SLOW IS GOOD!! You'll find your pace when you start doing them. I'm some where in the 1.5 speed range, even slower on an incline. Some is better than none and moderation is key. The body is wonderfully adaptive!

With that being said, if you find that walking lunges bother you, try reverse lunges (not on the treadmill though!!). They don't tax your knees the same because you're stepping BACKWARDS.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes!!

what are walking lunges and inclines? as you may be able to tell I don't visit the gym often at all...

VWVixxen said:

HTH!
Off topic a little: I'm no expert( AT ALL) but when I was "just walking on the treadmill" it did help strengthen the muscles in my legs"

VWVixxen said:
Great advice GymFreak!! I'm going to try that this morning at the gym!

I always like to add: please listen to your body with all of this! If you have bad knees or start to feel unusual pains in them, back off. A knee ligament strain takes WEEKS to heal, trust me, I know! :(

If you've not in condition to follow this regimen without stopping, work up to it! If you can only do 2 minutes at a time, work at your pace. What she proposed is tough, walking lunges are hard, on an incline makes it harder still! And do follow her advice, SLOW IS GOOD!! You'll find your pace when you start doing them. I'm some where in the 1.5 speed range, even slower on an incline. Some is better than none and moderation is key. The body is wonderfully adaptive!

With that being said, if you find that walking lunges bother you, try reverse lunges (not on the treadmill though!!). They don't tax your knees the same because you're stepping BACKWARDS.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes!!

Thanks vixxen, I will be working out in about an hour or so. I will let you guys know how it went. Vixxen I just took a look at your fotki, you look great. I didn't know you're a personal trainer, you have a lot of great infos. I will be stalking you now:lol: , and your hair looks great.

KissKiss said:
what are walking lunges and inclines? as you may be able to tell I don't visit the gym often at all...

Inclines is just increasing the intensity on your treadmil, and lunges is a form of squats. I'm not quite sure how to explain it, maybe someone can explain it better.

Back