Protein treatment before relaxer..?

I am getting a relaxer on Friday. My stylist is going to relax all of my hair due to the relaxing damage (underprocessing) I did myself at home for the past few years. My hair is thick and can withstand a lot so I'm not worried about damage but I do want my hair to be in the best possible shape before this is done. I have been washing and deep conditioning twice a week since the beginning of Dec. and wonder if a protein treatment like keraphix would be good to do before getting my hair relaxed? Or can I use a heavy duty one like Aphogee?

ShandaMichelle

pebbles

Hi ShandaMichelle,

Since you have been doing deep conditions twice a week for a little over a month now, your hair should be o.k, so long as you aren't experiencing any breakage. You don't have to do one before, but I would recommend doing one right after the relaxer. What relaxer is she using on you? If it's Affirm, then one of the steps is a protein treatment, if not, after you neutralize, do a protein treatment. That should keep your hair nice and strong. /images/graemlins/smile.gif HTH

pebbles,

Yes he is going to use Affirm..I didn't realize there was a protein treatment in there..so I should be fine.. I'm just paranoid.. My hair is finally at the base of my neck after cutting it off to just below ear length in October, so I don't want any setbacks.. Thanks for the advice! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Shanda Michelle

pebbles

Hi ShandaMichelle,

You're welcome! Good luck with your re-touch on Friday. Let us know how it goes and post pictures if you can. Good luck! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

p.s.-Watch him closely if he trims! Be picky, and don't let anyone take off more hair than you want taken off. /images/graemlins/smile.gif