protein treatment =tangles

amina kamal

I did a harder protein treatment in my hair last night and my hair was a tangled knotted up mess. Not even KC humecto got those tangles out, it took me 45 minutes to undo those tangles. I am currently 12 weeks post and this is the first time this has happened. I have been using Duo-tex for strength but this time I used KC super reconstructor. I don't know what I did wrong.

I swear by shampooing with porosity control after protein treatments. I think some of these serious treatments lift up your cuticles and leave deposits on the surface of your hair that make it a sticky, tangled mess in my experience. I don't think you did anything wrong, but if duo-tex works maybe you should stick with that one.

Thank you for your reply. That makes sense. I just couldn't figure out what was going on. As soon as I put that reconstructor on, my hair REVOLTED. My hair was lockin up all over the place. I will try the porosity control next time. The thing about the duo tex is that I don't feel like its really making my hair stronger. Maybe I should do duo tex treatments more frequently.

Last edited:
All protein conditioners must MUST be followed by a moisturizer or your hair will become brittle.

The EXACT same thing happened to me last week after my aphogee treatment. It took me an hour to get the matts and tangles out and I lost alot of hair doing it. I came to the conclusion that I left it on too long. After it hardened my brother came over unexpectedly and we were talking for about another hour before I rinsed it out. The deep conditioning helped loosen it up a bit but it was still a nightmare afterwards.

Did you try a very light poo with a moisturizing shampoo afterward?

Try that.

I used to not be fond of the hard core aphogee treatment.

But I used it this weekend, dried it in under a hooded dryer. Then after it hardened all over I did a light shampoo with my emu oil poo -- just a smidgen.

My hair felt heavenly!!! I couldn't believe it. It felt awesome.

That's the way I follow up after my treatments, first a moisturizing poo (Therappee is my choice) and then I DC w/ Humectress.

OT: And your hair looks awesome girl!
Synthia said:
Did you try a very light poo with a moisturizing shampoo afterward?

Try that.

I used to not be fond of the hard core aphogee treatment.

But I used it this weekend, dried it in under a hooded dryer. Then after it hardened all over I did a light shampoo with my emu oil poo -- just a smidgen.

My hair felt heavenly!!! I couldn't believe it. It felt awesome.

wow, a poo after the treatment? that sounds like it would be worth a try. I didnt poo afterwards I just did a DC. My hair felt soft afterwards but when I went to detangle those dreadlocks were still there:ohwell:

amina kamal said:
wow, a poo after the treatment? that sounds like it would be worth a try. I didnt poo afterwards I just did a DC. My hair felt soft afterwards but when I went to detangle those dreadlocks were still there:ohwell:

Yeah -- you don't want the residue left on your hair to dull it. Whatever hasn't bonded -- poo it out. It won't destroy the effects because bonded protein is not going to just rinse out.

I sometimes skip the poo after Duo-Tex, but that's because it is light, rinses clean, and has a low pH that leaves the hair silky.

OT: BEAUTIFULWIDEYES -- thanks so much! It's actually looking kind of rough there with no shine in the photo. I'm gonna have to try again but I haven't been able to take a good pic for a while.

Back