ques. about nizoral

chocolate01

my doctor just percribed this shampoo(I have been experiencing very flaky scalp and he said that I may have some type of scalp infection which could be causing my hair to thin). Anyhoo I should have asked him at the doctors office but I didn't, the bottle says lather, leave in place for 5 min and rinse..now my ques for anyone that has used this is do I use my regular shampoo after or do I condition and procede from their? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

I'd ask Adrienne0914 what her regimen is, and adapt that. Otherwise my guess is you use Nizoral in place of your shampoo and I would think it's OK to use conditioner afterwards concentrating its application on the section of your hair farther from you scalp towards the ends. This way you don't get residue build up on your scalp that could cause more flakes or itching. Maybe your doctor could recommend a safe conditioner? But Adrienne's regimen may be just what the doctor ordered.
smile.gif

I use Nizoral and apply to my scalp only.I part my hair with my shower comb and apply on the scalp,rub in a bit and do this to my whole head.I then leave for 5ish mins and wash out.My hair is quite tangled from all the parting after washing.I then use CON to wash my hair only.It takes all the tangles right out.I do not try to comb out the tangles before using CON.That would be disastrous.
After COn I follow up with my ususal conditioner.This is just a suggestion tho.It may work as good as what adrienne does.

I have been using Nizoral shampoo for ten years now and I always wash my hair with a moisturzing shampoo before using my Nizoral shampoo follow by conditioner.
I usually leave it on for 5-7 minutes.
I have washed my hair with Nizoral before using my moisturizing shampoo and it made my hair dry and tangled especially if you need a touchup.
The only way I can use Nizoral before any other shampoo is if I do a hot oil treatment with EVOO.

here i is!
laugh.gif

i actually use three shampoos:

- first is Elasta QP Bodifying, which is a very mild clarifier. i sometimes have alot of product on my hair when i wash. using the Bodifying shampoo means i don't have to use so much of everything else. that Nizoral is expensive with my big copayment.

- second is the Nizoral shampoo. like katie, i mainly use it near the scalp, but i don't do any parting. i just rub it on my hands and work in that area. once i get a good lather, i use a scalp brush to loosen any flakes. i only briefly scrub my scalp with it. i try not to disturb my hair at all... if that makes sense. i leave it on for about 5 minutes.

- third is the KeraCare Hydrating Detangling shampoo. sometimes i put it on without rinsing the Nizoral first. usually i don't, but it doesn't really matter.

i think the main thing with the Nizoral is letting it sit for a few. the order that you use things really depends on how your hair responds. some people have major tangles from it. i don't. otherwise i'd probably use it after the other shampoo and right before the moisturizing conditioner.

[ QUOTE ]
LABETT said:
I have to use prescription strength the over the counter one does nothing for my scalp.

[/ QUOTE ]
me too!!

Thanks everyone, I plan on using it tomorrow so i'll take everyone's advice. I also have the percription one.

My dermatologist diagnosed me with Seborrheic Dermatitis which is basically very bad dandruff. She said this can cause hair loss which I didn't experience yet, (thank god) but the Seborrheic Dermatitis was causing my face to break out! She prescribed Nizoral shampoo also. It does dry out my hair so I was my hair with Pantene R&N twice and then use the Nizoral, let it sit for 5 minutes and and wash it out and then condition. She also gave me Loprox lotion to put in my scalp. Although I don't really use it any more but it definitely came in handy in the beginning. And Adrienne aint lying about Nizoral being expensive but it's definitely worth it! I'm not good with taking all the vitamins and stuff but all she had to say was "if not treated you can loose your hair" shiiiiiii I didn't skip a beat with that shampoo, I didn't care how much it cost!!!

Back