Question about asking God for favors

I was answering a question below posed to Catholics ( I am Catholic) and it got me thinkng about something else so I decided to start a new thread. Is it true that Christians are not allowed to ask God for favors? A friend of mine who became Born- Again said that Christians are not allowed to ask God for things, and I could not understand why. I ask Jesus for help all the the time, and He helps me, so I can 't understand how this could be wrong. My friend said something about having to accept what God has already given to you, but I cannot remember what verse she cited.

Really I',m not trying to be ignorant here, just curious to find out your perspective about this and whether this is true. Thanks.

MomofThreeBoys

That is her own belief. I am protestant and ask God for things all the time BUT I always say "if it be thy will Lord". God knows what is best for us. Therefore, I don't want Him to give me something just b/c I want it. I only want it if He approves and thinks its best for me.

Gods plans are ALWAYS better and bigger than our own.:grin:

Last edited:

BlkHoneyLuv2U

I believe your friend is talking about when Paul said to be content in whatever state you are in. I cant remember exactly where it is. But there is nothing wron with asking God for anything that is within His will which is His word. He tells us to ask and it will be given. Jesus told His deciples that whatsoever they ask the Father in His name would be done unto them. Dont know the scripture again but its there. One of my favorite scriptures in Proverbs 3:4 where it states "So shalt I find favor and good understanding in the sight of God and man. Its not the same as asking God for something. But I do ask God to give me favor in different situations I find myself.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
natalied said:
That is her own belief. I am protestant and ask God for things all the time BUT I always say "if it be thy will Lord". God know what is best for us. Therefore, I don't want Him to give me something just b/c I want it. I only want it if He approves and thinks its best for me.

Gods plans are ALWAYS better and bigger than our own.:grin:
I totally agree! I do the same thing! God will only say yes to your prayer if it's in His will. He may even give you a maybe for things that you may not be ready for but maybe in the future.

I think when people say we shouldn't ask God for favors, they mean it's not good to always ask God for things and expect him to give you everything that you want. Like natalied said, only God knows what's best for us. And we should not get mad if God doesn't grant us everything that we want. ;)

Cowgirl

sunshine91496 said:
I was answering a question below posed to Catholics ( I am Catholic) and it got me thinkng about something else so I decided to start a new thread. Is it true that Christians are not allowed to ask God for favors? A friend of mine who became Born- Again said that Christians are not allowed to ask God for things, and I could not understand why. I ask Jesus for help all the the time, and He helps me, so I can 't understand how this could be wrong. My friend said something about having to accept what God has already given to you, but I cannot remember what verse she cited.

Really I',m not trying to be ignorant here, just curious to find out your perspective about this and whether this is true. Thanks.

John 14:13-15 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it. If ye love me, keep my commandments.

John 15:7 If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.

Based on these teachings, I have to disagree with your friend. I have no problem praying to God for His Blessings. I don't particular like the word favor because that's what I ask my friends to do, not what I pray to God for. However, I have also been taught (and this may be what your friend means), that one should spend more time glorifying & praising God and thanking Him for what one already has. But if I am truly in need of something, you can best believe that the Father will be hearing from me. :) For He said, "Call upon Me in the day of trouble; and I shall rescue you, and you will honor Me. (Psalm 50:15)

ShortyDooWhop

If we can ask our natural fathers for favor/gifts, I can't believe that we can't ask our Heavenly Father for much more. He says that He's a way maker. How do you find that out? By asking Him to make a way. He say's that He's a provider. How do you find that out? By asking Him to provide.

I ask God for EVERYTHING. If someone else doesn't ---- more for me:lol:

BLESSED1

Cowgirl said:
John 14:13-15 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it. If ye love me, keep my commandments.

John 15:7 If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.

Based on these teachings, I have to disagree with your friend. I have no problem praying to God for His Blessings. I don't particular like the word favor because that's what I ask my friends to do, not what I pray to God for. However, I have also been taught (and this may be what your friend means), that one should spend more time glorifying & praising God and thanking Him for what one already has. But if I am truly in need of something, you can best believe that the Father will be hearing from me. :) For He said, "Call upon Me in the day of trouble; and I shall rescue you, and you will honor Me. (Psalm 50:15)

ITA all the way girl :yep:

landakaye

I always just thank Him for what I have been given and then ask Him to bless with something if He sees fit that I should have it. I dont ever ask for material things though.

pebbles

The word says that "Ye have not because ye ask not." If you have a relationship with God, and you have any need, be it spiritual or material or what have you, please know that you can ask the Father, and you should believe that HE is able to work it out for you. Now, I'm not talking about lusting after some other woman's husband, because God will NOT give you that man, :lol: but He can supply and will supply ALL of your needs. :)

GodsPromises

The Credit Countess
I couldn't had said it better :)

pebbles said:
The word says that "Ye have not because ye ask not." If you have a relationship with God, and you have any need, be it spiritual or material or what have you, please know that you can ask the Father, and you should believe that HE is able to work it out for you. Now, I'm not talking about lusting after some other woman's husband, because God will NOT give you that man, :lol: but He can supply and will supply ALL of your needs. :)

NAY007

Whenever I pray I thank God but I also pray for certain things/ask for things. But I do know that not everything I want can and will happen but that what God has planned will happen.

Chichi

I think that it is okay to ask God for favors as such as long as we end the request with something along the lines of "... if it fulfills your will, O Lord."

That is, ask but always give it up to God trusting that our God, Who already knows our heart's desires, will only grant that which will be of true benefit to us.

Chichi :bdance:

PS Whenever I have questions such as this, I try to model it on a parent-child relationship. God is our Father. As His child we could ask for anything under the sun but God as any true parent, will only give us that which could be of benefit us.

Last edited:

Cowgirl

pebbles said:
Now, I'm not talking about lusting after some other woman's husband, because God will NOT give you that man, :lol: but He can supply and will supply ALL of your needs. :)

Pebbles...ROFLOL..... you are crazy.

But I have known people to do just this exact thing. And when they actually got the man, had the nerve to think God had answered their prayers. I told an ex-friend that her prayers had been answered but it was the devil and not God doing the answering. And where is she now....miserable, miserable, miserable in a relationship with the same man that now she can't trust. Duhhh :confused:

pebbles

Cowgirl said:
Pebbles...ROFLOL..... you are crazy.

But I have known people to do just this exact thing. And when they actually got the man, had the nerve to think God had answered their prayers. I told an ex-friend that her prayers had been answered but it was the devil and not God doing the answering. And where is she now....miserable, miserable, miserable in a relationship with the same man that now she can't trust. Duhhh :confused:

That is a shame. I wish folks could understand that when God gives you something, it brings joy and blessing to you, and you sure don't have to be fighting to keep it. :crazy: