Question about sealing

sassyhair

A question was raised on another board that made some sense to me. If I moisturize and seal my ends today will I be moisturizing and sealing on top of already sealed hair?

Legitimite question that I have not thought about, any insight?

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing
I've had the same question. I believe that if you seal with natural oils, then that's fine because the oils can actually absorb or allow other moisturizers to get through. Serums contain silicones that can actually coat the hair and block out moisture. I don't know if cones block out moisture 100%, but I know it makes it harder for moisture to get through. From experience, I can't really use products containing mineral oil/petroleum because those ingredients tend to coat my hair and prevent moisture from coming through. Since I've been wearing buns lately, I'd moisturize my ends with water and seal with Qhemet Alma & Olive Heavy Cream or with some type of oil. I also moisturize my hair with more natural products, especially ones that contain Shea Butter. Today, I'm going to start moisturizing my hair with Oyin's Whipped Pudding which has water in it. After using that, I'll continue to seal my ends with QB or an oil.

Arcadian

There's definitely an answer to it on the board somewhere, I'll have to do a search to find it though.

Basically though moisture does get lost throughout the day depending on your hairs condition.

Using oil over a moisterizer does help to seal in that moister for a finite number of hours but, it does evaporate over time.

For some, the moister and sealing takes place on a daily basis, some don't do it so often which can also change when the seasons change.

Like for me, I find I need more moisturizer in the summer/winter than in the spring/fall. But someone else may not be on that same schedule.

I'm also learning that as my hair gets longer my needs are changing, especially where I put extra moisturizer.

I'll see what else I can dig up cause its around here somewhere.

-A

Found it!

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=84746 Midway through the first message from Sistaslick

atlien11

TSUprincess04 said:
I've had the same question. I believe that if you seal with natural oils, then that's fine because the oils can actually absorb or allow other moisturizers to get through. Serums contain silicones that can actually coat the hair and block out moisture. I don't know if cones block out moisture 100%, but I know it makes it harder for moisture to get through. From experience, I can't really use products containing mineral oil/petroleum because those ingredients tend to coat my hair and prevent moisture from coming through. Since I've been wearing buns lately, I'd moisturize my ends with water and seal with Qhemet Alma & Olive Heavy Cream or with some type of oil. I also moisturize my hair with more natural products, especially ones that contain Shea Butter. Today, I'm going to start moisturizing my hair with Oyin's Whipped Pudding which has water in it. After using that, I'll continue to seal my ends with QB or an oil.
I was going to elude to the same thing if you are sealing with silicone based products. Good answer TSU :D

sassyhair

Ok now the fact that sealing with serum is the only thing that smooths my ends after water while air drying, I also use this while rollersetting so does this mean that after I rollerset and a few days later I want to moisturize the moisture will not get through?

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing
sassyhair said:
Ok now the fact that sealing with serum is the only thing that smooths my ends after water while air drying, I also use this while rollersetting so does this mean that after I rollerset and a few days later I want to moisturize the moisture will not get through?

I'm guessing so. Like I said, I know that serums are mainly used to smooth and coat the cuticle to prevent moisture from entering (i.e., reversion on flat-ironed hair), so the moisturizer may not reach your hair fully. ::shrugs::