Question about stretching relaxers, combing

classycrimson

Hey there. I have a question about relaxer stretching and combing. I have very course 4aish (I think...it makes an S type pattern...or a tiny coil that stretches to an "S") hair that grows out very densely from my scalp. I have been able to stretch my relaxers about 4-5 months, but I am afraid to comb the new growth and this leads to tangles when I finally do get a perm. When you ladies are stretching relaxers and you wash your hair, do you comb through the roots when you detangle? When it is dry, do you also comb through the roots? I'm scared that my hair will snap at the demarcation line, but I'd like to figure out some way to eliminate the intense detangling session I have to go through when I finally go back to the salon for a retouch. My hair is currently a couple inches past brastrap. Thank you!!

SmileyNY

I'm also 4a & stretch for 4-5 months :) During my cowash, I only detangle my relaxed hair. I DC afterwards & I then comb through and detangle my new growth. I find that my NG is much easier to gently detangle under running water while rinsing out my DC.

Bnster

I am a 4a/4b mix and the longest I have stretched was 6 months. Get yourself some NTM and moisturize your roots and then oil your whole hair and detangle. The NTM is the boom, I tell you! It unravels and moisturizes. I always will detangle before washing and during the wash use a shower comb (detangle under running water). When dry also I constantly used the NTM. If some how my moisture was off, during the week I will moisturize and seal as usual, but would avoid combing the roots. This was more near the end of the 5th month.

Also I noted, never miss a wash day - weekly washes re-moisturizes my roots and flat ironing the roots helped (flat iron only if you DC).

Just find a good detangler and never let the NG twist so tight (get winded up and dry) then detangling becomes an issue. Get a steamer or steaming cap. I have the cap and it helped I thought it was a help. Moisturize like crazy and you will be fine. Good luck!

sunnieb

I don't stretch as long as you pro-stretchers, but 14 weeks is all I can stand right now.

When you ladies are stretching relaxers and you wash your hair, do you comb through the roots when you detangle?

Absolutely! I'm very heavy handed with my conditioners, especially when I'm deep into my stretch. Over the years, I've found out which conditioners give my hair the most slip and I stick to those.

*I'm sure to soak my hair completely before cowashing
*Then I apply generous amounts of conditioner and put on a plastic cap
*I continue with my shower duties and rinse out the conditioner last under running water with my shower comb.

When it is dry, do you also comb through the roots?

Neva! I pretty much just fluff/comb when my hair is dry. My wide-toothed comb never touches my newgrowth when it's dry. First of all, my newgrowth has broken combs before. Secondly, I'd be asking for breakage if I did this.

I only detangle after washing. Mane and Tail detangler melts all of my tangles away like they are nothing. I'm so glad I started using it! :yep:

MrsSmitty77

My hair detangles best when it is clean with no products on it. So slowly comb through fresh clean hair (it feels like airy cotton). Then apply my leave ins and comb through one more time. After week 5 I do not comb dry hair with a comb only finger comb. I have seen a great positive turn around in the thickness of my hair.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I only stretch to 10 weeks. My stretch is peanuts compared to some but I make sure the ng is saturated with product (Taliah Waajid Protective Mist Bodifier is great) before combing/detangling the roots.

C@ssandr@

formerly known as "keyawarren"
When you ladies are stretching relaxers and you wash your hair, do you comb through the roots when you detangle?
Yes.This is the only time I detangle root to tip. I usually saturate my hair in diluted con (I dc on dry hair) and let it sit for about 30 mins or so. I always/only detangle under the shower!

When it is dry, do you also comb through the roots?
Never. Since I dc or cowash at least once a week, my roots are always in some kind of order. They may not be completely straight (I'm too lazy to blowdry weekly) but they are not tangled up either.

I'm also a 4b (my ng looks like little springs). My stretches are typically 3 months + and i bun alot ;)

Hth!

Aireen

I normally leave the new growth alone too be honest, I don't like risking the breakage where the two different textures meet (the altered and the natural) for the sake of detangling so I never touch the new growth when it's dry.

On wash day though, I use Motions CPR Protein Reconstructor as my conditioner and apply it all over, especially anywhere that's prone to tangles — my roots and the sides of my hair before the crown. I leave it in for 15 minutes then rinse out with cold water. My hair feels amazingly soft afterward and the new growth isn't a tangled mess, it's actually easy to glide the comb through.

C@ssandr@

formerly known as "keyawarren"
I normally leave the new growth alone too be honest, I don't like risking the breakage where the two different textures meet (the altered and the natural) for the sake of detangling so I never touch the new growth when it's dry.

On wash day though, I use Motions CPR Protein Reconstructor as my conditioner and apply it all over, especially anywhere that's prone to tangles — my roots and the sides of my hair before the crown. I leave it in for 15 minutes then rinse out with cold water. My hair feels amazingly soft afterward and the new growth isn't a tangled mess, it's actually easy to glide the comb through.

This too. I'm careful with how warm the water is when rinsing. Too hot will cause dryness/tangling. Also using the right DC's make a huge difference. A year ago my hair was not this easy to work with despite the technique being the same.

afrochique

I stretch for 6 mths +. I detangle my hair while it is wet. I use Silken Child Detangler which makes my hair soft and manageable enough to comb from tip to root. Helps avoid matted hair.

Last edited:
im 4b and about a month in half into a 12 week stretch. when im detangling my hair i always start at the bottom and work my way up , When i run into snag or when i get to my new growth, i stop and finger comb it, its a pain in the *** but it elimates the breakage i used to get when trying to detangle my new growth with a comb. Sometimes it takes me about and hour to comb through my hair, i get so annoyed that i just want to rip through it but i know i wont retain lenghth if i do that . i also only detangle small sections at a time and twist as i go so they wont knot up again.

hell no! my hair is 4bz, the comb wont even go through it when i'm stretching , unless its at least damp. If its not wash day i just use imy nfusium leave in to dampen it before combing and on wash day i detagle afer deep condioning .

classycrimson

Thank you ladies all so much for all the good info! I have figured out how to keep my hair moisturized, how to limit the amount of direct heat and how to extend perms and this is the last missing bit of my regimen. I really HATE combing my hair when I have lots of new growth (I've broken combs too) and the tangling that happens when I go to the salon during perm time shows that. I'll definitely incorporate some of your tips!

afrochique

hell no! my hair is 4bz, the comb wont even go through it when i'm stretching , unless its at least damp. If its not wash day i just use imy nfusium leave in to dampen it before combing and on wash day i detagle afer deep condioning .

Ok :)How about combing with a head full of conditioner?