Question about texture and Twistouts

tdwillis

Hello Ladies:
I have always (since I was a child) had a problem with the left side versus the right side of my hair. The right side tangles more and is more course. The left side is not. My new favorite hairstyle is flat twists. The left side comes out great with the beautiful curls that I love. The right side is curly, but looks more like hamburger meat. I have been experimenting with wearing my twistouts down but I think it looks weird. Has anyone else had this problem? Should I get something to loosen up the texture on the right side? I ask this because I saw that Just for Me" has a texture softener and I wondered if that would help.

Are you aware that the texture softner is a mild relaxer? You'd hate if you left it in too long and if came out a straighter than you intended. Especially for just one side of your hair.
I'm transitioning and i'll have a variety of textures on my head and it's something i'm willing to work with.

Used to have that problem left vs. right until I realized I was not caring for my hair equally on all sides. The problem is gone since I've learned to love and nurture all parts of my hair.

If you are having issues with dryness then the last thing I would suggest is that you put a chemical (relaxer) in your hair. Also are you sure that people often confuse texture with curl pattern. The curl pattern at the top of my head (crown) is the loosest on my entire head. It is also the most dense. It is also the dryest. So I always assumed it was the coarset. It's not. The reason it's the dryest is because I move from the edges inward and usually by the time I get to that area I am not spending as much time on it as I should. Also, because it is so dense it has to be parted in more sections for me to actually get to it.

From what you are describing it sounds like the hair on that side of your head may be more dense than the other side. I think you should switch up your technique before you add a chemical. I am not anti-chemical but I don't think they should be used as a corrective for issues that are really about technique.

Hope you find more help. *Hugs*

I have the exact same problem with my hair. Like the previous posters I would not suggest a texture softener either. Maybe try a different technique for your twist outs. Like on my right side it tends to curl up faster than the left so before i braid or twist i may add a little gel and smooth it out and then i'll continue with my style. I just do it to keep the curlies in control.

Thanks ladies. I really appreciate the responses. Cinnamin316, is there any products that you recommend specifically?

Last edited:
Good question. To tell the truth, I toss and turn all night. I am right handed. My mom always told me that that side of my body works harder.

Back