question bout pressing hair...

kookysnkream

2 weeks ago i got my hair pressed and trimmed for my prom (i most add...after 2 years of not trimming my hair..omg it was wonderful) i noticed that when i washed my hair..there was a very small section that my hair was somewhat straight and my hair is naturally curly (its like holly robinson-peete). so i was wondering, is it possible that u can over-press your hair that it will become straight?

jasmine

yes. u can press your hair too hard. when this happens your natural curl is destroyed. i know two friends of mine that had to cut their hair because of a serious hard press.this has also happened to me. next time try not to use such a high temperature on your hair.

inthepink

I agree - be careful with the heat that is being used on your hair. Did they use a pressing comb or a flat iron? I tend to think a flat iron would be less damaging.

patience

Sounds like you damaged your hair. Heatlaxing in a sense is what sounds like happened. Heat CAN permanently straighten your hair if it breaks bonds (it's similar to getting your hair relaxed). It sounds like this is what happened. You can either deal with it or cut it off but if those bonds have been broken, it won't be curling back up like the rest of your hair...sorry...

WaterMoccasin

Co-signing.
It has happened to me in the past, a small section remaining straight (damn hot comb).
Some people said that after a a week or a few, their hair finally bounces back. For others, it never recovers. I was in the latter group and after hiding it with fake curls, ultimately cut that section short.
This happened to me twice, and today, I could not tell you where those mishaps occured. It grows back quickly!