Question for ladies that Wig it...

graceunderfire

I am wondering what you ladies wear under your wig to protect the hair. I can't wear stocking caps but I haven't found a silk wig cap. I have some thoughts about how to make my own if push comes to shove but I would much rather buy one.

Suggestions and tips helpful.

ThatJerseyGirl

First, I wear my hair neatly in cornrows. I started using those black satin caps that my son wears. Depending on where you live, sometimes you can get them in the barbershops, or believe it or not, gas stations. The only thing is, the color starts to bleed if you put any type of liquid moisturizers on your hair before wearing the cap. I learned the hard way:ohwell:

Idid try to wear a satin bonnet, the one with the ruffles around the edges. Those work well too. This way, I don't have to worry about any of my braids easin out snitchin on a sista...not a good look:nono:

complexsimplicity

where can you buy a silk wig cap? i'd rather use that. I haven't been able to find one as yet. I haven't begun wearing my wig yet bc it hasn't come in the mail. I'm planning on wearing a du rap w/ a wig cap over that. I tried that wig cap on by itself and i could jus feel it sucking the moisture out of my hair. lol.

AtlantaJJ

where can you buy a silk wig cap? i'd rather use that. I haven't been able to find one as yet. I haven't begun wearing my wig yet bc it hasn't come in the mail. I'm planning on wearing a du rap w/ a wig cap over that. I tried that wig cap on by itself and i could jus feel it sucking the moisture out of my hair. lol.
I'm looking for a silk wig cap too...

graceunderfire

I have no idea if a silk wig cap even exists. I did a search for it and I got nothing. If you find one let me know.

graceunderfire

First, I wear my hair neatly in cornrows. I started using those black satin caps that my son wears. Depending on where you live, sometimes you can get them in the barbershops, or believe it or not, gas stations. The only thing is, the color starts to bleed if you put any type of liquid moisturizers on your hair before wearing the cap. I learned the hard way:ohwell:

Idid try to wear a satin bonnet, the one with the ruffles around the edges. Those work well too. This way, I don't have to worry about any of my braids easin out snitchin on a sista...not a good look:nono:

I have done this as well (worn the satin bonnet), but I was very afraid that it would slip off.

ThatJerseyGirl

If you go to a beauty supply and ask them for the men's satin caps. My son wears them all the time, and he got tired of me taking his, so I purchased one myself. Just make sure you wash it to get that dye out before you use it.

Or, you can get some satiny material and sew it in the inside of the wig. Just stitch it across the front to protect your edges...that is what I was going to do. Or better, go to the barbershop...they may carry them. I know here in the DC area, you can get them at the gas stations...I see them all the time. Come to think of it, the last one I purchased, I purchased it from Sally's.

graceunderfire

If you go to a beauty supply and ask them for the men's satin caps. My son wears them all the time, and he got tired of me taking his, so I purchased one myself. Just make sure you wash it to get that dye out before you use it.

Or, you can get some satiny material and sew it in the inside of the wig. Just stitch it across the front to protect your edges...that is what I was going to do. Or better, go to the barbershop...they may carry them. I know here in the DC area, you can get them at the gas stations...I see them all the time. Come to think of it, the last one I purchased, I purchased it from Sally's.

That's an awesome suggestion. Thank you.