Question for Self Relaxers

princessdi

I have a question regarding relaxing hair that is really short at the nape. I'm not sure how to relax the nape that has grown out. I don't want to overprocess it, but I think all the hair at the nape is new growth. I had it cut really short (shaved) and now I have about an inch to an 1 1/2 inches of hair there. Should I relax all of the back doing it last or how should I do it. I really would like to have the hair relaxed because there's more hair to work with now and it would look really bad if I don't relax when pulling into a phony pony. I don't have enough real ponytail to hide it.

Anyone that has short hair or that has had their nape shaved before that relaxes please respond.

Thank you.

skoloco

Mine used to be shaved. When I started self relaxing, it was really short (maybe about an inch long) I have been relaxing that area every other touch up, and it is actually growing in nicely. Now there is enough hair there (about 3 inches) where I can just relax the new growth. I know that many people don't even relax their nape at all, but like you my hair isn't long enough to get away with this now. Maybe in the future though.

princessdi

skoloco said:
Mine used to be shaved. When I started self relaxing, it was really short (maybe about an inch long) I have been relaxing that area every other touch up, and it is actually growing in nicely. Now there is enough hair there (about 3 inches) where I can just relax the new growth. I know that many people don't even relax their nape at all, but like you my hair isn't long enough to get away with this now. Maybe in the future though.[/quote

Did you relax that whole area? I'm assuming it's all considered new growth. I don't have any straightness to it. Should I put Chi Silk on it before relaxing or will that keep it from processing?

princessdi

BUMP. BUMP.

Come on short hair people, I know there are some of you out there. Please share your advice.

Thanks.

eajaye2u

Mine is short also and I coat it with conditioner and save it for last. Work the perm in with the back of the comb and leave it in no longer than 5 mins. Its not bone but its straight enough to blow dry straight or even flat iron. But I'm babying it so i never hit it with the flat iron. Have to do my edges like this too. HTH

princessdi

eajaye2u said:
Mine is short also and I coat it with conditioner and save it for last. Work the perm in with the back of the comb and leave it in no longer than 5 mins. Its not bone but its straight enough to blow dry straight or even flat iron. But I'm babying it so i never hit it with the flat iron. Have to do my edges like this too. HTH

Thank you.