Question on those who do Conditioner Washes

• Thread starter lkg4healthyhair
  • Start date
L

lkg4healthyhair

I just started doing these everyother day. I use VO5 Strawberries and cream conditioner (will be trying the Oasis soon). I put it in may hair in the shower and use like shampoo, then rinse/detangle.

My questions is:
Am I supposed to use another conditioner too?

Should I or can I leave another conditioner on my hair to deep condition like NTM DDC after the V05?

Which products do you like the best for your Conditioner Washes?

Thanks

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I had these same questions when I tried doing conditioner washes. I wanted to get rid of using shampoo but it wasn't gonna work for me if I didn't wash my hair often or if I used products on my hair during the week like activator and gel. Several ladies here said it would cause buildup depending on the type of conditioners you use.

Irresistible

If your going to be doing daily or every other day CW'ing. The purpose is to be rinsing out your hair with conditoner, keeping your hair cleaner and more moisturized (allthough this did not work for me)

So it doesnt matter if you use another condtioner after, as long as somewhere in your regemin you do use a more moisturizing condtioner treatment , I would suggest every week with all the CW'ing your doing, it should be fine to do a CW with just the cheapie lighter conditioner (as long as you like the conditioner) for your regular every other day CW'ing.

L

lkg4healthyhair

Thanks ladies,

I wash my hair with shampoo and do a deep condition on Saturdays but Tues and Thrs I would like to try CW's.

Thanks for your input :)

Kha

I think it depends, for me I'll do a CW (with Pantene Hydrating Curls--my current favorite) and then I'll apply Suave Awupuhi as a leave-in after I get out of the shower. I've learned simply by trial and error and I now know that this works best for me and my hair.

My products change kindof often because after a while they stop working on my hair. Some of my best conditioners past and present would have to include, Daily Defense Tender Apple, Suave Milk & Honey, Suave Humectant, VO5 Blueberries & Creme, and Suave Awapuhi.

lkg4healthyhair said:
I just started doing these everyother day. I use VO5 Strawberries and cream conditioner (will be trying the Oasis soon). I put it in may hair in the shower and use like shampoo, then rinse/detangle.

My questions is:

Should I or can I leave another conditioner on my hair to deep condition like NTM DDC after the V05?

Thanks

senimoni

I tried the cw with nothing else and my hair was hell on wheels. To answer your question I do follow up with my normal conditioner.

LoriLOCX

Hey Everybody!!!

Since I've joined LHCF, I started co-washing my hair. I'm really experimenting to see what I like and what works for me. I have relaxed hair, a mix of type 2,3 and 4a in the nape. This is also the longest I've ever gone without relaxing. I'm now 3 months post-relaxer :bouncegre

Just rinsing with water and applying a leave-in doesn't work for me. I've tried VO-5 (Hydrators, Strawberry & Cream, Volumizing, Freesia, Clarifying, Jasmine), Suave (Coconut, Green Apple, AloeVera..etc), Clairol Herbal Essence, John Freida Conditioner, Tresemme, Rx5 by Proctor & Gamble, NTM, KeraCare Hemecto, Pantene, Nature's Gate Rainwater & Rosemary, and Avalon Botanicals conditioners.

I co-wash daily...every night. My routine has been one of 2 ways....

FIRST WAY:
-----------
Apply an oil blend (mix of essential oils - Rosemary, Lavender, with Emu, Castor, Johoba, Olive, Almond, Grapeseed, Sunflower, and KeraCare Essential Oils). I usually heat it up in the micro first. Leave this on under plastic cap for minimum 10-15 minutes.

Rinse out oil blend and co-wash with one of the above conditioners.

Apply a quick deeper/moisturizing conditioner. Depending on how I feel I may leave this on 10 minutes...up to 1-2 hours because I'm in the house doing stuff, and not going anywhere.

After rinsing, I apply
John Frieda's Hair Serum to wet hair, NTM DDC as my leave-in, ElastaCare Curl Activator on new growth, QP Mango Butter on ends, a quarter size amount of oil (any kind - Castor, Emu, Johoba, Almond, Grapeseed, Olive, BBD Keala, or Kukui Nut...), Carol's Daughter Hair Milk and Hair Butter. Brush back top layer of hair with a baby brush, then wrap with a long satin scarf and put a satin cap on top to hold it down tight.

My hair always looks like I had a fresh relaxer. It lays down nice.

Other products I've tried so far and like but don't use everyday are:
Dark & Lovely Honey Wave Glaze - to slick back the hair
Jane Carter's Sculp & Condition - to slick back the hair
Bed Head TIGI Control Freak Serum - OMG!!! Lays it down really flat!!!
NTM Shine Serum - apply to towel-dried hair immediately after co-washing.
Dark& Lovely Almond Rain Mist - Oil spray....probably good for natural hair. I apply and massage as a finishing product right before tying down my hair to airdry.

SECOND WAY:
---------------
I'll apply conditioner to dry hair with or without the oil blend, massage for 5 minutes or so and put on plastic cap. Clean my face (MaryKay junkie!!!) and then pop in the shower and use a large tooth comb to comb/rinse conditioner out of my hair.

Then I do the same after rinse routine as above.

Monday, Tuesday, Thurday and Friday and Sunday are regular co-wash days.
Wednesday is deep conditioner day, and Saturday is deep conditioner or heavy protein and deep conditioner day. I only do heavy protein once every 6-8 weeks. I may do light protein (Dudley's Cream Protein Conditioner) every other week.

LABETT

When I co wash I sometimes use my Nioxin Scalp Therapy conditoner follwed by a moisturizing conditioner like Kendra,Pantene Full & Thick,Suave
Milk & Honey or Daily Defense Tender Apple conditioner.

RushGirl

#1 PARTY GIRL
lkg4healthyhair said:

My questions is:

Thanks

I CW daily..I use Suave Milk and Honey to "wash".. it has the "cleansing" oils in it and they are high up on the list of ingredients.. I rinse and then I use Elucence MB conditioner to "condition".. I don't use my conditioner like a shampoo though daily...I don't wash my scalp everyday..I'm doing CG... I scalp wash once a week.. does that make sense.. I've started using DevaCurl's No Poo for my scalp washes.. I don't use cones..so I don't get buildup.. I also use some V05 conditioners for CW's..but lately I've just been using the No Poo, Milk and Honey and Elucence... I'll basically use any conditioner or try it at least w/o cones in it..

HTH!

Ayeshia

Kha said:
I think it depends, for me I'll do a CW (with Pantene Hydrating Curls--my current favorite) and then I'll apply Suave Awupuhi as a leave-in after I get out of the shower. I've learned simply by trial and error and I now know that this works best for me and my hair.

My products change kindof often because after a while they stop working on my hair. Some of my best conditioners past and present would have to include, Daily Defense Tender Apple, Suave Milk & Honey, Suave Humectant, VO5 Blueberries & Creme, and Suave Awapuhi.

same method here except that I dont like the blueberries and cream :( But all the Suave conditioners as a leave in works awesome on my hair :)

L

lkg4healthyhair

LoriLocx thank you for such a detailed description.

I think I have a better understanding now...thanks ladies.

Jewell

I CO wash 6 days a week, and shampoo once a week. You don't have to necessarily use another conditioner after the VO5, it just depends on how well it moisturizes your hair. I use Aussie 3 Min Reconstructor DEEEP w/Tea Tree Oil, Nexxus Humectress, or Physique Deep Hydrating Conditioner for my CO washes. I alternate them. My favorite is Aussie. I generally apply it to my hair, and follow with a Suave Moisturizing Hot Oil Treatment to coat the hair. That's about it. I do the hot oil treatment everyday, even on shampoo day.

LoriLOCX

lkg4healthyhair said:
LoriLocx thank you for such a detailed description.

I think I have a better understanding now...thanks ladies.

You're welcome! I know I write alot. Hope it helps :)