Questions for natural ladies-please help!

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Hi, all. I've been natural for a short time compared to the rest of most people on the board. I've been trying to educate myself on maintaining my hair and try other styles. My Q to you all is how do you guys do twists and braid on short hair? I've prob got 5 or 6" of hair, but it shrinks up to like 3". :eek: Please give me tips or advice on hairstyles. My hair is really curly and trying to twist my hair has ended in failure for me. Is an afro gonna be the only style I can wear? I think I have 3c mixed w 4a hair. I'm praying u guys come thru w/ your excellent advice again. :ohwell:

Hi,

Are you twisting on wet or dry hair? If you want to see length with twists, dry hair makes such a difference. Have you heard of banding. It's when you take strips of a pantyhose leg or you can use those bands for ponytails, take a section of hair, moisturize and then wrap the band around that section, continue until you're done. Once your hair is dry, you can release it for a full fro or twist/braid.

Another option that some have tried is to let your hair air dry and then twist but I feel that banding stretches it out more and depending on your hair type, you're dealing with less tangles. HTH.

Lydc gave some good advice. Welcome to the natural side! And yes, shrinkage is part of natural life :)

If you want to see length for your twists, I agree that you need to twist them when dry, after stretching your wet hair through banding, or plaiting. For your length of hair, I'd suggest you make at least 8 bands or plaits. I further suggest after banding or plaiting your wet hair, you then wrap it taut against your scalp, pinning it down with flat hair pins, almost in the same way you would do a doobie. When your hair dries, the shrinkage would have been reduced, so you can try twisting it. You can use that same technique if you want to have a soft fro or puff.
5, 6" of hair is a great length. You can do puffs, cute fros, you can still wash and go. Enjoy it. Don't manipulate too much, or growth will be slow.

Thanks again, ladies! I could care less about shrinkage. I just am trying to learn how to do other natural styles. As far as banding goes, I'm not sure I'll be doing that, being that u have to use panty hose to do it. :lol: Anyhow, please keep the styling tips coming! The middle of my hair is growing faster than the back. I will keep trying to learn how to braid or twist it. Any tips u give are highly appreciated!

Pantyhose comes in a variety of colors, so it doesn't have to look like you are wearing panty hose. HTH Bonjour

Back