Quickweaves - Gel, glue and weave hair

jada1111

I was watching an episode of SPLIT ENDS and they showed a woman getting a "quickweave". Her hair was gelled down in a wrap, then "molded". After it was dry, the stylist glued the weave extensions onto the hair.

I have NEVER, EVER heard of such a thing. Like, how can you wash your hair or even sweat? Won't the water loosen the "mold" underneath the glue?

Has anyone ever got this done? If so, how long did it last and did you wash your hair?

ETA: Salon was based in Texas. So it could be a Texas thing, cause I don't know ANYBODY in NYC doing that mess.

Ediese

It's funny that you mention that because I live in Texas, but I've never had it done here. I got it done once only when I lived in New York back in 2001. They did it exactly like you described it..Yes, I know it's bad, but I didn't know any better back then.:nono: The wig was reusable though. I could reapply it without having to gel down my hair again.

jada1111

It's funny that you mention that because I live in Texas, but I've never had it done here. I got it done once only when I lived in New York back in 2001. They did it exactly like you described it..Yes, I know it's bad, but I didn't know any better back then.:nono: The wig was reusable though. I could reapply it without having to gel down my hair again.

In NYC? Really??? I stopped wearing weaves YEARS ago. The last one I got was at Khamit Kinks. The stylist cornrowed the hair, then SEWED on the tracks. I've heard of all types of techniques, but the one I saw in this show was HORRIBLE.

I mean, they GLUED the tracks onto the HARDENED GELLED hair! Ewwwww! This can't be healthy and must cause MAJOR BREAKAGE when time to be removed.

Again, how do you WASH your hair?

curlcomplexity

formerly qtslim83
You don't wash it. A quick weave is only supposed to stay in for a week or two, but some ladies push it to the limit. You can also get a quick weave done in where your natural hair is wrapped and a stocking cap is placed over it (sometimes 2). The weave is then glued to the cap.

I personally couldn't do it...

jada1111

You don't wash it. A quick weave is only supposed to stay in for a week or two, but some ladies push it to the limit. You can also get a quick weave done in where your natural hair is wrapped and a stocking cap is placed over it (sometimes 2). The weave is then glued to the cap.

I personally couldn't do it...

Okay, now THIS sounds more sensible. The natural hair isn't touched and the stocking cap gets removed after a week (it would most DEFINITELY be a week for ME). I can deal with this.

But um..., I honestly don't think many women leave the Quickweave (GELLED or stocking cap) in for only a week or two. They're probably trying to stretch it to three or four if possible, especially if cost more than $50.

bluevalentine

i despise these things, they seem to be pretty popular where i'm from.....before i became hair-conscious and a member of lhcf i just couldn't fathom why people would want to have something like that done to their hair...to each their own i guess :perplexed

victorious

Relaxed/4A/Fine/Thin/APL
My friend had it done years ago in Brooklyn, and her hair was jacked up afterwards. Her stylist gelled her hair back, put the cap on top, added more gel on top, and sat her under the dryer. After it dried like a rock, the stylist glued the tracks in and styled her hair.

My friend couldn't touch her scalp for two weeks. She had to use a hair pin to scratch her scalp. All that gel made her hair super dry and caused lots of breakage. She paid a serious price for that cute hairstyle.

The Girl

They do it here in MI too. I had one once when I cut all my hair off but I felt too icky to leave it in past a week. You can't wash until its time to get it out...then you better have a big bottle of Curl activator to loosen the glue otherwise:wallbash:

RegaLady

They do it here in Chi. I cannot lie, I got one:look:. I had a bob done. It looked sooo real. My hair grew, but it was thinned out! That was pre LHCF!:yep:

The Girl

I think it could halfway work as a protective style as long as you have the cap over your hair...yeah I know the brown gel is evil here but:drunk:

jada1111

My friend had it done years ago in Brooklyn, and her hair was jacked up afterwards. Her stylist gelled her hair back, put the cap on top, added more gel on top, and sat her under the dryer. After it dried like a rock, the stylist glued the tracks in and styled her hair.

My friend couldn't touch her scalp for two weeks. She had to use a hair pin to scratch her scalp. All that gel made her hair super dry and caused lots of breakage. She paid a serious price for that cute hairstyle.

EWWWWWWW!! I'm getting the itchies just imagining it. You mean to tell me the stylist gelled the CAP on top of her head too?? WTF??? Oh my goodness, her hair probably crumbled in her hands once she took that stuff out.

I know chicks that would get the ponytail and use the brown gel to keep it looking "fresh" for two weeks or more. The only thing is - IT DIDN'T. The longer you left it in, the worse the hair looked.

jada1111

I think it could halfway work as a protective style as long as you have the cap over your hair...yeah I know the brown gel is evil here but:drunk:

If you do it the way Qtslim83 described (with 2 caps) and left it in only for A WEEK like it was ORIGINALLY DESIGNED to be, then it could work. You just need to moisturize with a deep conditioner afterwards.

I would prefer to do the clip-on wefts and attach them to my hair. Of course, it has to be NATURAL-LOOKING hair. I only say this, because it seems that most women of color today aren't even trying to make the hair blend in with their own anymore. They're wearing caucasian straight hair like it's the thing to do. Like, how are you gonna have hair on your head that doesn't match your kinky eyebrows?

victorious

Relaxed/4A/Fine/Thin/APL
EWWWWWWW!! I'm getting the itchies just imagining it. You mean to tell me the stylist gelled the CAP on top of her head too?? WTF??? Oh my goodness, her hair probably crumbled in her hands once she took that stuff out.

I know chicks that would get the ponytail and use the brown gel to keep it looking "fresh" for two weeks or more. The only thing is - IT DIDN'T. The longer you left it in, the worse the hair looked.

Yep.

My friend removed the tracks with glue remover, washed out the two layers of gummy gel to remove the cap, and wound up with dry, brittle hair. Deep conditioning didn't help at all.

She got her hair cut at a different salon and then wore braids for a while.

Ive seen it done. Its done alot here, where I am. :yep: Mostly with the hairnets though. I think most people here have learned from the gel helmet hair. The 2 people I know that do this style wrap the hair with conditioner and mousse, dry the hair, then add nets (usually 2) and then add the hair. One of them makes "wigs" for people like this. She will wrap the hair and then saran wrap it, sew the nets together, put the nets on the head, make the quick weave and then take the caps off and remove the saran wrap. She uses the saran wrap to make sure no glue gets in the persons head. I wouldnt mind letting her do it that way. Im so scared of hair-glue.. Just the word seems like an oxymoron to me...

glamazon386

I'm surprised some of y'all have never heard of this. Most people who wear tracks get it glued in. You can't wash it or the tracks will loosen up. It's only supposed to stay in for 2 weeks or so. The glue will start to loosen up as time goes on. If some people only wash their hair once every two weeks (which is pretty common outside of LHCF) then I could see how it would work. I wouldn't do it to my hair on a regular basis though. I did it to my hair once because I was lazy and it didn't stay all that good because I didn't get my hair gelled down hard enough. I had a hard time getting the glue out too. I'll never do that again. The only other times I've had tracks glued in was for a special occasion when I was younger. Maybe a few pieces here and there but my stylist installed it and removed it so I didn't have any problems. She also braided my hair underneath.

Last edited:

DivaD04

i used to put it in either glued in or gelled and then glued on, i never had a problem with my hair breaking, thinning, or whatever issues folks are having, actually that used to be a protective style for me. i used to tell folks, if u don't know how to properly take it out, don't get it. rule number one for me was to never use oil to take it out. all oil does it make a slimey mess. if one knows what they are doing, their hair will not come out nor break.

Desarae

i used to put it in either glued in or gelled and then glued on, i never had a problem with my hair breaking, thinning, or whatever issues folks are having, actually that used to be a protective style for me. i used to tell folks, if u don't know how to properly take it out, don't get it. rule number one for me was to never use oil to take it out. all oil does it make a slimey mess. if one knows what they are doing, their hair will not come out nor break.

I used to get them too, and I used to tell folks the same thing, when in reality, that mess tore my hair DOWN. It thinned it out something terrible and my scalp was in bad shape as well. And trust and believe, hair was lost during the takedown, I don't care how much glue remover you use.

There is nothing healthy about glueing weave to your hair or scalp.

MissMeWithThatIsh

I had it done once in Atlanta.
They wrapped my hair with that "black" gel, and then they wrapped white tissues (wrapping papers?) over it... then placed a stocking on my head, and THEN proceeded to do the weave. It came out nice, but it did itch and I surely washed my hair... and only had to slip it back on. It was straight.

ladylibra

I was watching an episode of SPLIT ENDS and they showed a woman getting a "quickweave". Her hair was gelled down in a wrap, then "molded". After it was dry, the stylist glued the weave extensions onto the hair.

I have NEVER, EVER heard of such a thing. Like, how can you wash your hair or even sweat? Won't the water loosen the "mold" underneath the glue?

Has anyone ever got this done? If so, how long did it last and did you wash your hair?

ETA: Salon was based in Texas. So it could be a Texas thing, cause I don't know ANYBODY in NYC doing that mess.

girl everybody in the hood does this mess. :nono: i've seen it done in Indiana, Michigan, Illinois, Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee, Missouri, Georgia, Florida, Texas, Arizona and i've known people from California to do it even though i've never been there.

ladylibra

I had it done once in Atlanta.
They wrapped my hair with that "black" gel, and then they wrapped white tissues (wrapping papers?) over it... then placed a stocking on my head, and THEN proceeded to do the weave. It came out nice, but it did itch and I surely washed my hair... and only had to slip it back on. It was straight.

that sounds more like a quick wig!!! :lachen:

SimpleKomplexity

I've gottent his soooo many times. I got it for special occasions all the time and I really paid for it. My hair was breaking everywhere. Every time I took off my jacket you could tell, but my hair dresser told me it was okay because all black people's hair "sheds" like that. My hair had horrible endz and it was very very dry after the mishaps

AsTheCurlzTurns

The method you speak of, they do this around here also. But instead of gelling the hair down, they'd wrap it with some wrap foaming lotion or Lottabody un-dilitued. Then they'd sit the client under a dryer until it hardens a bit. After that they'd place a hair net on the hair then top that with a wig cap for the weaving process. Some of these stylists will swear to you that NO GLUE will touch your hair during this process which was a lie. But you can't tell them nothing. The people who get them done don't know no better neither. I mean they come out really cute and all, but when they tell you, that you can take that thing off and on. They see it was a lie, once they attempt to take it off and it yanks their hair out at the same time.

I've seen it all pretty much when it comes to weaves. And the main thing I've noticed around here is that alot of people are using glue instead of doing sew-ins and when they using glue, they lose hair. But they don't care. I've been told and actually seen for myself that using Baby oil or mineral oil is the best way of removing glue left in the hair. I, myself, have used the baby oil, way years ago, I know now that it's bad, but I won't knock it since it works, but I won't be using that anymore. Anyone comes to me asking for a weave won't be getting one with using glue at all! So if they show up with glue they're going to be disappointed. I'm not going to be responsible for them losing hair because they didn't know what they were doing, and want to blame me for them losing their hair. No thanks!

SparklingFlame

I had a quick weave done 1 time and I SWORE that I would NEVER EVER do that again!!!!!!!!!!!

After day 2 that mess was itchin like crazy. I even had a letter opener up there trying to scratch my scalp.

I took that mess out quick. From what I recall it was wrapped, but not with gel.

The Girl

Now why you go and do that???

Now people gonna go to her vid and leave nasty comments to her too!! :rolleyes:

Lawd I hope not...one day our folks will learn we all have a glass room at least in our house and shouldn't throw stones:rolleyes:.

I can't wait to get my new flexi rods...your hairs looks sooooo purty:yep: