Raw Shea Butter

GodsPromises

The Credit Countess
So I went home this weekend to NYC and Walgreens in Brooklyn has 100% raw shea butter in the tub. My mother has been using it so I got some. My question is how do you melt it and after you melt it what kind of contintuer do you put the melted shea butter in. I will be using it mainly for my hair.

TIA

sassyhair

I melt mine in the microwave and smooth it in my wet hair for air drying.

Sometime I added oil, but that is not needed.

Divine Inspiration

I either melt a little in the microwave (if I'll need a lot) or I'll scoop a little in the palm of my hand and melt it by rubbing my hands together. I usually do the latter because it's quicker and easier.

BTW, I LOVE raw shea butter...it softens new growth like nobody's business, and it leaves my hair nice and pliable. :up:

Undefeated Queen

Divine Inspiration said:
I either melt a little in the microwave (if I'll need a lot) or I'll scoop a little in the palm of my hand and melt it by rubbing my hands together. I usually do the latter because it's quicker and easier.

BTW, I LOVE raw shea butter...it softens new growth like nobody's business, and it leaves my hair nice and pliable. :up:

I also melt it in my hands and apply it to my hair. I love raw shea butter. I bought a nice sized tub for only 4.00.:)

MizAvalon

Another raw shea butter user here! :wave:

I also just melt in the microwave and use. EXCELLENT for helping you stretch and softening new growth.

~Nigeria~

I just started using raw shea butter on my ends and I love it. I will see how it works on my new growth once I get some. This is definitely a staple.

GodsPromises

The Credit Countess
Walgreens on Atlantic and I think 3rd Avenue. For the tub it was $ 2.99 plus tax of course. The tax is a killer when you live in a state that has no sales tax. I spend my whole weekend saying why $ 3.24 when it is $ 2.99 :lol: . The company that sells it has a web site if anyone wants it. I will post it when I get home tonight. It is the same price online that it is in the store.

CutiePie0Five said:
oo really? where in brooklyn and how much did it cost?

dreamer26

LadyR said:
Walgreens on Atlantic and I think 3rd Avenue. For the tub it was $ 2.99 plus tax of course. The tax is a killer when you live in a state that has no sales tax. I spend my whole weekend saying why $ 3.24 when it is $ 2.99 :lol: . The company that sells it has a web site if anyone wants it. I will post it when I get home tonight. It is the same price online that it is in the store.

You have to really be careful buying shea butter. There is a lot of stuff that claim it's real raw shea and it's not. If your shea is hard and white and stinks to the high heavens it's not pure shea.

shea butter is normally yellow or a light yellowish or almond color and the smell should be a burnt smell as if it was smoked under fire. The smell should also go away after a while once it's absorb into the skin.

Even if it's hard, the heat from your hands should melt it easily.

I've bought a lot of shea in my time and once you've really had the pure raw shea you'll be able to spot the fake stuff quickly.

Just my 2 cents.

GodsPromises

The Credit Countess
Yes this shea butter is yellow and it doesn't have a strong smell. I can melt it in my hands by rubbing it together however, I wanted to know how others melt their shea butter and mix it with other things. I am happy with what I got considering that I can't get a tub of shea butter here in DE. Last night I did Bantu knots and usually when I finger them out my hair feel dry and hard but not this morning. My hair has moisture and feel soft to the touch

GodsPromises

The Credit Countess
For those who wanted the website:

www.madinaonline.com

I got the yellow raw shea butter. It is under body and hair products - African Natural product - shea butter or you can just put in "shea" in the search function

Last edited:

CutiePie0Five

Lmao! That is sooo funny! I just bought me some raw shea butter today from Brooklyn! And guess what, the store is on Atlantic, right near the Walgreens that you went to...lol to top it all off, I got it from the store called Madina! Their website is madinaonline.com, which is what you were talking about.

I bought a 1 lb. jar for $2.50. I was so excited! I just went to Morocco a month ago, and I miss it, so I went in looking for some hair stuff. They're also selling a 1 lb. (16 oz?) bottle of jojoba oil for $16, which I think is good. I didn't have enough money to buy it, but I will be back up in there! I'm so glad I don't have to order shea butter offline, and pay shipping.

UmSumayyah

I use the double boiler method, placing a glass mixing bowl on a pot of boiling water and putting the shea butter in the bowl. I mix mine with coconut oil and other oils to keep it spreadable at room temp.

Firenza

I used this on my hair last week,melted it in microwave,then added a bit of coconut oil,and my ends loved it.

My hair stayed moisterized the whole week. Impressive!

Definately a keeper.:)

Tashique

A bit long..... But heres a Shea Butter break down:)

Im a Ghanian/Jamaican who buys it from ghana on a regular bases I must say that Shea Butter comes in various colours and smells. There are so many sellers in Ghana where you can actually witness them pounding and making the shea butter.

Different regions in Ghana have different colours, some have a more Yellow look with a slight smell. Or even some are an Orangey colour

While others are a off white colour. The ones that come in yellow are mixed with a particular natural oil that I can't remember the name of.

So there is nothing wrong with the white shea butter as it has not got anything added to it. You could try by asking what region the butter comes from which would give you an indication of the type of butter that region produces.

When you buy the butter they usually ask you if you want any of the oil added, if not more than likely it will be an off white colour. I personally prefer the white butter as I when its pounded I have always seen a white consistence.

But roughly you can a lever arch folder size of shea butter for $6 in Ghana

When I was there last year, a guy bought a suitcase load to take back to USA. He bought the suitcase to the market and asked them to fill it. It cost him roughly $40

Shashemane

For the ladies that use this to stretch/ soften NG: Hw do you incorporate this into your wash routine? I usually wash, condition with moisturising conditioner or protein ( whatever's needed), add leave in moisturizer, seal with oil or cone. Lateley I've been using oil since I'm laying off the heat.

Any suggestions on how to use this? (I'm a 3c/ 4a combo if that helps.)

Another question is: is Raw Shea Butter permeable? Will it block out future moisture applications?

Please everyone who uses this, chime in and tell me how you incorporate it into your regime, even if you're not using it to stretch.

@Tashique: I picked mine up from a Ghanaian lady and it says NKU on it, imported by KOTOKO FOOD PRODUCT in Toronto Do you know anything about them? If not, that's ok, just thought I'd ask.

Thanks for you responses!

~Shashemane