Sealing question... Raw Shea Butter and Sweet Almond Oil

moriahar

Ok ladies I have a question about sealing.
We sale Raw Shea Butter and Sweet Almond Oil at my job.
Would it be a good idea to moisturize and seal with these to?
For the Shea Butter I imagine that I would just melt it in the palm of my hand and the distribute on my ends and then follow with the Almond Oil.
Is this the proper technique? Is there a better method? Has anyone else tried this combo? What were your results?

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
They are both good sealants but you really wouldn't need to use but one at a time. Shea butter is very heavy so you definitely don't need oil on top of it.

What you want to do is use a moisturizer then use the shea butter or almond oil to seal the moisture in.

moriahar

Ohhhh yeah. Can't you just tell that I am a newbie?! :) Here I am thinking that Shea Butter is a moisturizer. Ok I guess I need some suggestions of light moisturizers, as I hate having heavy hair.
I just bought Aphogee's spray on Pro-Vitamin leave in conditioner. Can I use that as my moisturizer?

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Ohhhh yeah. Can't you just tell that I am a newbie?! :) Here I am thinking that Shea Butter is a moisturizer. Ok I guess I need some suggestions of light moisturizers, as I hate having heavy hair.
I just bought Aphogee's spray on Pro-Vitamin leave in conditioner. Can I use that as my moisturizer?
It's ok, you're really on the right track. Some do use shea as their moisturizer but I only consider it a sealant since it's made of oils. A moisturizer to me is something water based like S-Curl, Cantu....those are the only ones I can think of from over the counter...oh, and Silk Elements Silken Child is a pretty good one. I'm not to familiar with the Aphogee one.

moriahar

A moisturizer to me is something water based like S-Curl, Cantu....those are the only ones I can think of from over the counter...oh, and Silk Elements Silken Child is a pretty good one.

Ok now when you say S-Curl you mean the S-Curl Activator/moisturizer Spray, right?
I just want to make sure that i am looking at the right products without buying too many things. I am, have always been, and l will always be a PRODUCT JUNKIE :spinning:

Also, I just wanted to mention that your hair is soooo beautiful. Some day I'm gonna have hair like that :grin:!

adw425

I use shea butter to seal, but I melt it down and add sweet almond and camellia oils, then I let it re-solidify into a softened solid. It is great to use from head to toe. To moisturize I use either a creamy or spray leave-in and then I seal.

moriahar

I use shea butter to seal, but I melt it down and add sweet almond and camellia oils, then I let it re-solidify into a softened solid. It is great to use from head to toe. To moisturize I use either a creamy or spray leave-in and then I seal.

What ratio of shea, almond oil and camellia oil do you use?

adw425

I am guessing here, but I store it in a 20 ounce jar of cholesterol I have used up and it is usually the full 16 ounces of shea butter that I buy from the African store up the street and two ounces each of the almond and camellia, which fills up the jar.

Ronnieaj

^^^That sounds like a lovely combo! I may have to try it soon.

Regarding the ApHogee, it is very liquidy and water based, so I think you can use it as a moisturizer, as long as your hair can handle a lot of protein!!! That product is very protein heavy, as are most of their products. I used it this week but I put another conditioner on top of it (it wasn't heavy enough for me :grin:), but protein is like the second or third ingredient. If I were you I'd also try to find something with less protein for day to day use. I use Oyin Juices and Berries and Shescentit moisture mist and green grape leave in for my spray moisturizers.

janeemat

I mix sweet almond oil with my raw shea butter and use it on my skin. It is the ultimate moisturizer.

Misshairdiva

Great combination, I use raw shea on my hair every day. That's all I use! Raw shea and coconut oil.
Great for skin too! For me it does everything, seal, moisturize. Two years since going natural and that is all I use!

adw425

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ I love shea butter and coconut oil mixed together. I have a smaller jar, that I mainly use as my hand cream, of this combo. These two are great together.

moriahar

Okay, tried the curl activator- I didn't like it too much. I decided to do flat twist. Maybe I can wear a twistout tomorrow.