Re: Parabens. I Have a Question.....

Aquamarine

Hi there!
Hi ladies. There's been a lot of talk about products (hair and skin) that contain different forms of parabens. They ARE everywhere!

My question is: If parabens are bad for you, why do some of us still use our favorite products that contain them? Is it because a lot of ladies can't be bothered with looking for more natural products? Is it simply becuase some ladies like to stick with what's been working for a long time?

When I first read about the possible dangers of parabens (as well as other popular comercial ingredients with funny and unpronouncible names), I was gung-ho about cleaning out everything and restocking with natural items. Man that is HARD to do lol.

My favorites happen to be comercial conditioners and shampoos from drugtores such as Vo5, Suave, etc. I'm starting to use Dr. Bronners liquid soap diluted with water for a gentle cleansing from time to time. I'm such a product junkie, and going all natural would slow me down lol.:lol:

Another note: Eliminating potentially harmful cosmetic ingredients is one thing, but I think that that's only half of the battle. Of course we should watch what we eat as well. Sigh, but seems that everything at one time or another is or has been 'bad'.

I'm about to give up and keep on using my Sta-Sof -Fro and S-Scurl lol. Tried to make natural versions, but they just don't work the same.

Ciao!

esoterica

Aquamarine said:
Another note: Eliminating potentially harmful cosmetic ingredients is one thing, but I think that that's only half of the battle. Of course we should watch what we eat as well. Sigh, but seems that everything at one time or another is or has been 'bad'.
Parabens have always been bad. unfortunately some of us have only just found out. i'm compiling a list of natural products i want to buy to replace all the toxic ones i have right now:
http://public.fotki.com/jadedcynicism/password/haircare/products/wishlist/
i will get there.

Divine Inspiration

Aquamarine said:
Hi ladies. There's been a lot of talk about products (hair and skin) that contain different forms of parabens. They ARE everywhere!

My question is: If parabens are bad for you, why do some of us still use our favorite products that contain them? Is it because a lot of ladies can't be bothered with looking for more natural products? Is it simply becuase some ladies like to stick with what's been working for a long time?

When I first read about the possible dangers of parabens (as well as other popular comercial ingredients with funny and unpronouncible names), I was gung-ho about cleaning out everything and restocking with natural items. Man that is HARD to do lol.

My favorites happen to be comercial conditioners and shampoos from drugtores such as Vo5, Suave, etc. I'm starting to use Dr. Bronners liquid soap diluted with water for a gentle cleansing from time to time. I'm such a product junkie, and going all natural would slow me down lol.:lol:

I'm about to give up and keep on using my Sta-Sof -Fro and S-Scurl lol. Tried to make natural versions, but they just don't work the same.

Ciao!

Hey girlie! :wave: This is a GREAT question...
I think the answer is a combination of both things you mentioned. Many ladies who have product already just don't want to go through the hassle of throwing them out and purchasing natural products and others have found products that work like none other and don't want to part with them, parabens or not.
I recently decided to do a switch. Like asphyxxia, I have a complete list of what I'll start with. I have a handful of commercial products that I'm using up/selling, and I've already purchased almost all of the natural products that I'll need to complete my regimen. For me it's beena gradual process, a new leave-in here, a different conditioner there, so there was no sticker shock of buying a ton of product at one time.
Girl, your PJism would not be phased by the Whole Foods Market. I get goosebumps every time I walk down the health & beauty isle b/c I *know* I'm bout to find some goodies. They have soooooo many things to play with...you should check it out.
ITA with you on watching the food intake too. Last year I made the conversion to organic foods, and I have never felt so wonderful. I never get sick, and my body feels so much better. My hair is growing, I have tons of energy, and my memory is better as a result of eliminating so many toxins.
I would definitely advise you to check into that too because it really does make a difference. Between Trader Joes and Whole Foods Market, I don't spend more on groceries than I would at a regular grocery store.

Sorry this was so long...hope this helps...

senimoni

I still smoke...so I'm not exactly a picture of health. Seriously though....if I was going to get rid of the bad stuff....it would be much more than just parabens I would worry about....you have cell phones, cleansers, detergents, fabric softner, carpet freshner, pesticides, radiation, processed food, any non organic fruits/veggies....the list is endless.

secretdiamond

senimoni said:
I still smoke...so I'm not exactly a picture of health. Seriously though....if I was going to get rid of the bad stuff....it would be much more than just parabens I would worry about....you have cell phones, cleansers, detergents, fabric softner, carpet freshner, pesticides, radiation, processed food, any non organic fruits/veggies....the list is endless.

Exactly which is why I just leave everything in God's hands. If it's not one thing that's bad for you, it's the other. Then one day the news tells you that what was once bad for you is good again.

Aquamarine

Hi there!
Thanx for the input ladies. One thing that has crossed my mind was......in centuries past, life expectancy was kinda low (due to lack of medical technology, clean water, etc). People nowadays are living longer, seemingly DESPITE all of the new products and industrialization. Average life expectancy is about 75? Lots of people are living to be over 100 :) . Like someone mentioned....it's up to the creator. I think that a person can avoid every harmful thing in the world and still get hit by a car crossing the street. It's just the nature of the game.

What I'm going to start doing is making little changes here and there. Simple things like more fruits, less fat, etc. (trying get sexy again for next spring lol).

ps. Yeah, I'm gonna keep using my Sta-So-Fro and S-Curl for now lol.

Cincysweetie

secretdiamond said:
Exactly which is why I just leave everything in God's hands. If it's not one thing that's bad for you, it's the other. Then one day the news tells you that what was once bad for you is good again.
Exactly. That's how I feel. There are so many things out there these days that are bad for you, and if you're going to eliminate parabens then you need to get rid of a sh*tload of other things also. To put it bluntly, I know that I'm gonna die one day...if it's b/c parabens from my favorite conditioner caused me to get cancer or a drunk driver rams into me on the interstate...it's gonna happen and I really need to just go about my life now and not worry about the details of the end. Not to say I shouldn't try to live healthy, but I'm def. not gonna throw out all my old products b/c an ingredient isn't the best for me.

Divine Inspiration

Just as clarification, I'm not obsessive about parabens or any other ingredient for that matter. I've just found that my hair/body responds soooooo much better to natural products...if my skin wasn't as soft using a natural product, then I'd go back to what works. If I had started getting colds all the time after incorporating organic foods, then I would've gone back. My quality of living just happens to be so much better that I enjoy the natural side of things.
Being a woman of God, I totally agree that our lives and health are in His hands. So I send up my timber and do what works for me...

Cincysweetie

Aquamarine said:
Cincysweetie: Girl, get outta my head! :lachen: I feel ya :)
:grin: I read your post after I posted and was thinking...dag, she basically said what I took 5 minutes to type out, lol.

And Divine, I get what you are saying...I've felt this way for quite awhile, basically since the first parabens threads came out.

~*~ShopAholic~*~

what and how bad are parabens? and if there so bad, why are they allowed in the things we use? some things are just not making sense to me these days. ITA w/Cincysweetie, and just to add I wish that pple would worry about more important things (like getting to heaven and getting rid of the fornication, and drinking etc.) like they do about their shampoo, not to say that over all health is not important because our bodies have rights to but it goes back to the ? why are they allowed to past the FDA or whoever examines this stuff and I've heard that there are natural products that contain harmful or not good things in their products so what's up w/that?:confused:

hotshot

Aquamarine said:
Thanx for the input ladies. One thing that has crossed my mind was......in centuries past, life expectancy was kinda low (due to lack of medical technology, clean water, etc). People nowadays are living longer, seemingly DESPITE all of the new products and industrialization. Average life expectancy is about 75? Lots of people are living to be over 100 :) . Like someone mentioned....it's up to the creator. I think that a person can avoid every harmful thing in the world and still get hit by a car crossing the street. It's just the nature of the game.

What I'm going to start doing is making little changes here and there. Simple things like more fruits, less fat, etc. (trying get sexy again for next spring lol).

ps. Yeah, I'm gonna keep using my Sta-So-Fro and S-Curl for now lol.

Yes but what is your QUALITY of life for those 75-100 years? most of us expect illness, disabilty, basically, imperfect health for a good portion of our lives. Its not necessary! If i can live without allergies, unnecessary breakouts, wrinkles, avoid cancer and other disease, feel energized, I'll be getting MORE out of my 75 years than the next person. Even alot of the foods and weight loss products out there have ingredients in them that make it impossible to truly keep weight off and be healthy. TRULY!

Life expectancy has increased but cancer rates and other things have only increased. The creator wouldnt approve of genetic mutations that come with your everyday lotion, now would He?

esoterica

The FDA passes drugs everyday that kills thousands of people. If you think they give a sh!t about us and our health you should think again. I'm going to compile some information and start a thread on this at at some point. There are lots of harmful things around us, this is true. Some of which we cant do anything about, but the way i see it, if something i use is harmful to me, i'd rather change it for something better. i hate orgs like the FDA that do nothing to regulate what theyre supposed to regulate! :mad:

hotshot

asphyxxia said:
The FDA passes drugs everyday that kills thousands of people. If you think they give a sh!t about us and our health you should think again. I'm going to compile some information and start a thread on this at at some point. There are lots of harmful things around us, this is true. Some of which we cant do anything about, but the way i see it, if something i use is harmful to me, i'd rather change it for something better. i hate orgs like the FDA that do nothing to regulate what theyre supposed to regulate! :mad:
aint that the truth asphyxxia! im ready and waiting for that thread. the fact that parabens, etc are fully documented. the FDA is a business and will works in its best interest not ours.
off my soapbox!
peace!

MJ

Yes, people are living longer but the quality of life is so miserable: cancers, nursing homes, diabetes, obesity related problems...

I seriously don't want to turn 45 and find out that I have ovarian cancer, or breast cancer, or brain cancer and think, "Why didn't I made the switch 20 years ago when I first learned that the stuff I am using on my skin and hair everyday causes cancer? Was this long, bra-strap length hair worth it?

This is why I use 100% natural hair and skin products. As for foods and other stuff, I'm making the switch there too... I'm going to do the best that I can, prevention is better than cure...

Last edited:

Cichelle

I no longer have or use any products with parabens in them. It took me a while to find products, but I did it and I'm not going back. The fact that there are a lot of dangerous things in this world only makes me more certain that I should control what I can. I want a long, healthy life if I can have one. There is enough out there to pollute our bodies without adding hair products in the mix. If there are 10 dangerous things that you do/use I think it is worth eliminating one, even if you cannot eliminate the other 9. I do the best I can for myself. But everyone has to find their own way. For me, a hair conditioner isn't worth the risk...especially when I have healthy alternatives.

Divine Inspiration

Cichelle I was checkin for you girl!!!
I agree...what you said is what I was "tryin" to say. It's a very person thing IMO, and everybody is really just doin what works for them.

Nay

The bottom line is everyone's comfort level is different, and everybody is affected differently by different things.

If using products with certain ingredients in it doesn't bother you, keep on using them. Hopefully, you won't be affected by those products. But I personally had a health scare. So you'd best believe that I'm doing EVERYTHING within my power to clean house!!

On the other hand, if I hadn't had that health scare, I probably wouldn't have stopped using any of that stuff because I wouldn't have been as concerned. Shoot, I probably wouldn't even have read this type of thread.

And now that I have switched over to the natural ingredient side, I have definitely seen improvements in my health, and also my hair is thriving and looking even shinier and purtier than it did when I was embracing my parabens, which I didn't even expect. So FOR ME it was the best thing I could do for myself. But it doesn't mean that anyone else is wrong to want to use whatever makes them happy.