Reclaiming our Bodies--re-thinking modesty

This is an interesting topic. While I do think we definitely have a responsibility not to be a stumbling block w/inappropriate attire a big part of the problem is not what women are wearing but the presentation of women in the media. Women are presented as sex objects. Everywhere you look our bodies are used to sell things and the identity of a woman is shown as being totally wrapped up in her appearance. What is really being sold and marketed ? This message is so pervasive in our society and it is impacting both males and females; our children are especially vulnerable.
I was at a basketball game last night and while the dancers were talented I just kept thinking, why do they need to be half naked. Their butts were hanging out of their outfits and the dancing was so sensual. I have seen dancers wear formfitting outfits but you could tell that the intent wasn't lustful, this was different. They wouldn't dream of sending out the male players in this type of attire. Look at singers, how many of them start out more conservative and end up on stage in next to nothing in order to sell an album.
Yes we need to respect ourselves and our brothers in Christ by dressing appropriately. We also need to educate our children and challenge the images of women in the media if we really want things to change. Men have to watch what they are taking in , if that means less TV and/or movies so be it. Even monitoring what they are listening to is important, there is a lustful spirit in alot of the music that is out.

Ok I'm rambling now but this is an issue I have thought about before.

This is an interesting topic. While I do think we definitely have a responsibility not to be a stumbling block w/inappropriate attire a big part of the problem is not what women are wearing but the presentation of women in the media. Women are presented as sex objects. Everywhere you look our bodies are used to sell things and the identity of a woman is shown as being totally wrapped up in her appearance. What is really being sold and marketed ? This message is so pervasive in our society and it is impacting both males and females; our children are especially vulnerable.
I was at a basketball game last night and while the dancers were talented I just kept thinking, why do they need to be half naked. Their butts were hanging out of their outfits and the dancing was so sensual. I have seen dancers wear formfitting outfits but you could tell that the intent wasn't lustful, this was different. They wouldn't dream of sending out the male players in this type of attire. Look at singers, how many of them start out more conservative and end up on stage in next to nothing in order to sell an album.
Yes we need to respect ourselves and our brothers in Christ by dressing appropriately. We also need to educate our children and challenge the images of women in the media if we really want things to change. Men have to watch what they are taking in , if that means less TV and/or movies so be it. Even monitoring what they are listening to is important, there is a lustful spirit in alot of the music that is out.

Very true indeed :yep:

I often wonder what the parents of those "dancers" are thinking when they allow their girls to wear those outfits... and some of the dances are just down right nasty. It is hard to imagine the girls daddy in the audience applauding while their baby girl "drops it like it was hot".

Very true indeed :yep:

I often wonder what the parents of those "dancers" are thinking when they allow their girls to wear those outfits... and some of the dances are just down right nasty. It is hard to imagine the girls daddy in the audience applauding while their baby girl "drops it like it was hot".

Well, could it be that her father abused/raped her? No, I do not agree with what "dancers" do but could we sometimes step back and maybe discover what she has possibly been through?

Well, could it be that her father abused/raped her? No, I do not agree with what "dancers" do but could we sometimes step back and maybe discover what she has possibly been through?

I think you are digging a little deep with that one :look:...

That type of performing has just become status quo for most high school teams... Personally, I just feel the parents lack judgement.

This article really had me going for a second.I totally get the idea but some women who write articles like this part women back millions of years.I believe a woman can work and take care of the home.I don't believe in a man taking care of me 100% and I don't want a allowance..it wouldn't make sense for me being the type of woman I am to go to college just to be a stay at home mom..I know some do but it would be a good return on my investment money wise...Also the tone made me when the last time she has been outside.You can dress modestly and still be fashionable.If I have a shirt that a bit low your wear a camisoloe..I won't wear turtlenecks my whole life.

Women must protect themselves..my parents defintely didnt protect me per se..I turned tricks while in high school so I know there was no protecting there...women must take care of themselves in their image and men need to follow suit and be responsbile and accoutable..

I think you are digging a little deep with that one :look:...

That type of performing has just become status quo for most high school teams... Personally, I just feel the parents lack judgement.

Oh, I thought you meant a different type of "dancer" nevermind.

This article really had me going for a second.I totally get the idea but some women who write articles like this part women back millions of years.I believe a woman can work and take care of the home.I don't believe in a man taking care of me 100% and I don't want a allowance..it wouldn't make sense for me being the type of woman I am to go to college just to be a stay at home mom..I know some do but it would be a good return on my investment money wise...Also the tone made me when the last time she has been outside.You can dress modestly and still be fashionable.If I have a shirt that a bit low your wear a camisoloe..I won't wear turtlenecks my whole life.

Just to the bolded--If you have talents and an education, it's like why would I invest thousands of dollars just to do nothing with that degree? I'm currently pursuing a doctor-level professional degree, so I can definitely relate. But something that I've been thinking about lately are the different things that I can do that are enhanced by my education but do not necessarily equate to being an employee of x company from 9-5. Not just volunteering or church work, but running a radio program as I'm currently working on, operating youth programs in the community, or doing freelance writing from home.

Those particular things may not be everyone's cup of tea, but they're just examples of ways that women can use their education in ways that are friendlier towards and more compatible with reserving energy for their husband and children. Like it was said upthread, a corporation really doesn't care whether any particular woman is there or not--they'll quickly find someone else. But it does matter to the husband and children.

I was at a basketball game last night and while the dancers were talented I just kept thinking, why do they need to be half naked. Their butts were hanging out of their outfits and the dancing was so sensual. I have seen dancers wear formfitting outfits but you could tell that the intent wasn't lustful, this was different. They wouldn't dream of sending out the male players in this type of attire.

Look at singers, how many of them start out more conservative and end up on stage in next to nothing in order to sell an album.

Ms. Lala, your entire post is so in order and you are speaking the Truth.

Last night I was downloading Christmas music and when I saw this from a "Christian' Group (Trinity 5:7) , I could not understand 'WHY ???"

Why are they dressed like this? Who needs this to promote a Gospel CD? Let alone any CD. This is not representative of a Christian woman, nor any woman of Virtue modesty.

For "hubby' in the privacy of ones own home or vacation, this would be understandable. To promote a Christian CD............

"Nila" No.... No :nono:

http://www.gospelmusicchannel.com/news/insider/download-week-trin-i-tee

t57_mp3.jpg

See, this is why I have an 'issue' with Mary, Mary... they seem to think it's okay to dress this way and now a pattern has been set, in a sense where they seem to think, that is so and so group does it, it must be okay. I just want to slap some sense into them, because they KNOW better. And young girls who are very impressionable are following suit.

Hence, the cheerleaders... :nono:

Attachments

• Trin-i-tee 5-7 - God Have Mercy.jpg
    Trin-i-tee 5-7 - God Have Mercy.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 17
Ms. Lala, your entire post is so in order and you are speaking the Truth.

Last night I was downloading Christmas music and when I saw this from a "Christian' Group (Trinity 5:7) , I could not understand 'WHY ???"

Why are they dressed like this? Who needs this to promote a Gospel CD? Let alone any CD. This is not representative of a Christian woman, nor any woman of Virtue modesty.

For "hubby' in the privacy of ones own home or vacation, this would be understandable. To promote a Christian CD............

"Nila" No.... No :nono:

http://www.gospelmusicchannel.com/news/insider/download-week-trin-i-tee

t57_mp3.jpg

See, this is why I have an 'issue' with Mary, Mary... they seem to think it's okay to dress this way and now a pattern has been set, in a sense where they seem to think, that is so and so group does it, it must be okay. I just want to slap some sense into them, because they KNOW better. And young girls who are very impressionable are following suit.

Hence, the cheerleaders... :nono:

You see, modesty can mean something different to different people. I don't see what they are wearing as "immodest." It seems like any outift that may accentuate ANY part the female physique is evil :rolleyes:

Earlier posts mentioned how women are to "look their best." But when they do, people still complain?

Why would you want to accentuate any part of your body for anyone other than your husband to look at? They're not dressed any different than Beyonce or Alicia Keys. What message does that send? Most people are so used to seeing women dressed that way, that it's hard to identify what's modest, myself included. :yep: It makes it even more difficult when designers and manufacturers don't make modest clothes just as appealing.

Edit: I'm referring to how they dress overall when in the public eye.

Last edited:
You see, modesty can mean something different to different people. I don't see what they are wearing as "immodest." It seems like any outift that may accentuate ANY part the female physique is evil :rolleyes:

Earlier posts mentioned how women are to "look their best." But when they do, people still complain?

I have noticed Mary Mary has been going down hill in outfits..some things have shown a bit of behind as being too tight and low cute dresses..they use to be covered..and they are both mothers and wives..their music is awesome..but we as christian have to be discerning spirt about things we here and see..I take the blessing of their singing but reject their dressing..if we as godly women do that in everything life will be much easier..

Why would you want to accentuate any part of your body for anyone other than your husband to look at? They're not dressed any different than Beyonce or Alicia Keys. What message does that send?

The problem is that many women cannot help the fact that almost anything they wear reveal some aspect of their shape. Anything can be interpreted as "immodest."

I honestly do not see anything wrong with at least the pink and yellow dress. I still dont understand a good percentage of this thread. First, we are told to be modest, then we are told that we as women have to "look our best" (and not just for our husbands mind you). Then we are convinced that we can be modest AND sexy. But next we turn around and say even THAT is immodest? No wonder why so many women (and men) are confused...

I have noticed Mary Mary has been going down hill in outfits..some things have shown a bit of behind as being too tight and low cute dresses..they use to be covered..and they are both mothers and wives..their music is awesome..but we as christian have to be discerning spirt about things we here and see..I take the blessing of their singing but reject their dressing..if we as godly women do that in everything life will be much easier..

Life is still not easier for many women who dress modestly. I think it's sad when a woman's spiritual status is mostly dependent on what she is wearing externally.

You can be modest and sexy...just not at the same time.:look: Modest outside the home and sexy inside. You can also look your best all the time based on the quality of the clothing, the colors, the fit, etc.

edited out the "unnecessaries"...:yep:
The problem is that many women cannot help the fact that almost anything they wear reveal some aspect of their shape. Anything can be interpreted as "immodest."

I honestly do not see anything wrong with at least the pink and yellow dress. I still dont understand a good percentage of this thread. First, we are told to be modest, then we are told that we as women have to "look our best" (and not just for our husbands mind you). Then we are convinced that we can be modest AND sexy. But next we turn around and say even THAT is immodest? No wonder why so many women (and men) are confused...

Last edited:

Afri...

Afri...

Precious Afri....

Babygirl, they look like *deep sigh*

They are not dressed modestly.

Now if your Pastor's wife came to Church like this...

Come on...

My babygirl would look at me and say ....

MOM ----- Are you Crazy?

My Mom herself is not having it. Neither my son nor my 'Friend'. He'd rebuke me with a quickness.

And I have the 'goods' to accentuate, no floppy moppies... :lol: But as a Christian, a woman does not dress this way publicly. I mean there's a place for everything. Clothes speak a powerful language ...

without words...

Ce Ce Winans doesn't dress like this and she sell music with a powerful annointing and that's what God wants to express.... His annointing, not showing the boobies for all the world to see. :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep:

Anyhooo... Big hugs to you, Precious Afri and I mean it. I truly do. :Rose:

I have noticed Mary Mary has been going down hill in outfits..some things have shown a bit of behind as being too tight and low cute dresses..they use to be covered..and they are both mothers and wives..their music is awesome..but we as christian have to be discerning spirt about things we here and see..

I take the blessing of their singing but reject their dressing..if we as godly women do that in everything life will be much easier..

Good post :up:

There was a time when women would be embarrassed if the back of their dress or skirt was 'hiked' up in the back and showed their underwear OR if they left the ladies room with a trail of bathroom tissue hanging from under their dress or skirt. :giggle: :lol:

But now.... they just let the butt hang out for all to see. First it was 'Cher' and Madonna then Brittney Spears and the rest of em'... :rolleyes:

So now it's the Church, inching their way to see how much they can get away with showing.

Good Grief, Charlie Brown ! :thud: Holy Moses has to be turning in his grave which was hidden by God. Joseph's bones were taken from Egypt and buried in the Promised Land.... but now they must be clanking loud at the shock of this. :drunk::spinning::drunk:

Life is still not easier for many women who dress modestly.

I think it's sad when a woman's spiritual status is mostly dependent on what she is wearing externally.

At the bolded. How so, sweetie? I don't understand what this means? Are you saying that a woman has an easier life when she exposes more of her 'flesh'? This is truly not so. Not at all, babygirl.

My Dad told me this and I know it to be true. The less a woman shows, the longer it holds a man's attention. For he will wonder what's under.

Of course a man will look -- actually gawk :shocked: --- at a woman whose breasts are popping out of her blouse or at an overly accentuated Derrierre, but it's not what 'keeps' him... interested. It's not. :nono::nono::nono:

Baby, God doesn't lie and when He says that it's the quiet and gentle spirit of a woman that holds a man's interest, it's very, very true.

I get more attention from men when I'm without make-up and wearing an oversized sweatshirt and baggy sweat pants. I'll never forget that I was seranaded by a Sax musician at the local Arts Festival and I was not wearing tight apparel or makeup. Out of all of the women who were in shorts, tight jeans, crop Tees, etc., this man came down from the stage, playing his sax and stood in front of me and dedicated his song.

At the gym, I have everything covered and yet, the guys jump at every opportunity to assist me with the heavy weights on and off of the machines.

So why is this?

I take a bath each day and smell good. :lol:

It's because I value what I'm hiding and 'they' the 'men' know it. :yep: Therefore, I don't have to over show it. :Rose:

Modesty is not hard, it's a joy, it really and truly is.......... a joy.

Good post :up:

There was a time when women would be embarrassed if the back of their dress or skirt was 'hiked' up in the back and showed their underwear OR if they left the ladies room with a trail of bathroom tissue hanging from under their dress or skirt. :giggle: :lol:

But now.... they just let the butt hang out for all to see. First it was 'Cher' and Madonna then Brittney Spears and the rest of em'... :rolleyes:

So now it's the Church, inching their way to see how much they can get away with showing.

Good Grief, Charlie Brown ! :thud: Holy Moses has to be turning in his grave which was hidden by God. Joseph's bones were taken from Egypt and buried in the Promised Land.... but now they must be clanking loud at the shock of this. :drunk::spinning::drunk:

C'mon now. I think they would be turning over in the grave over more heinous things the "house of God" has done: child molestation, burning "witches" at the stick, justifying chattel slavery, invoking the "curse of Ham," Christian apathy, murder, increased sexual slavery around the world, racism/sexism within the church, prosperity Gospel...in other words, things worse than a woman's skirt being a little high.

I know, I'm dramatic. It's who I am.;)

At the bolded. How so, sweetie? I don't understand what this means? Are you saying that a woman has an easier life when she exposes more of her 'flesh'? This is truly not so. Not at all, babygirl.

My Dad told me this and I know it to be true. The less a woman shows, the longer it holds a man's attention. For he will wonder what's under.

Of course a man will look -- actually gawk :shocked: --- at a woman whose breasts are popping out of her blouse or at an overly accentuated Derrierre, but it's not what 'keeps' him... interested. It's not. :nono::nono::nono:

Baby, God doesn't lie and when He says that it's the quiet and gentle spirit of a woman that holds a man's interest, it's very, very true.

I get more attention from men when I'm without make-up and wearing an oversized sweatshirt and baggy sweat pants. I'll never forget that I was seranaded by a Sax musician at the local Arts Festival and I was not wearing tight apparel or makeup. Out of all of the women who were in shorts, tight jeans, crop Tees, etc., this man came down from the stage, playing his sax and stood in front of me and dedicated his song.

At the gym, I have everything covered and yet, the guys jump at every opportunity to assist me with the heavy weights on and off of the machines.

So why is this?

It's because I value what I'm hiding and 'they' the 'men' know it. :yep: Therefore, I don't have to over show it. :Rose:

See, the bolded is what I think is inaccurate. A woman can be dressed modestly while the man still wonders what's "underneath her clothing." Men have said that just by looking at a woman's face can drive them to lust (why do you think some countries have the veil?).

Just because a woman dresses modestly, doesn't mean everyone will respect her like you have experienced in YOUR life. Many women are treated with disregard and disrespect even when they are fully clothed. For this reason, men need to take responsibility of their own "lusts" and not burden women with the responsibility to control their own minds.

C'mon now. I think they would be turning over in the grave over more heinous things the "house of God" has done: child molestation, burning "witches" at the stick, justifying chattel slavery, invoking the "curse of Ham," Christian apathy, murder, increased sexual slavery around the world, racism/sexism within the church, prosperity Gospel...in other words, things worse than a woman's skirt being a little high.

I know, I'm dramatic. It's who I am.;)
You're right :yep there are definitely worse things.

But we need not add the wrong spices to the pot.

And you're not dramatic, you're a sweetheart and you just see it differently.

I'll ask you this. If these women came to a job interview, how would they be viewed for a professional corporate office setting? There are even some restaurants that would not allow this form of dressing among their clientele. These dresses speak a language that's not complimentary.

Even a royal princess such as yourself would have finer attire in your wardrobe. :Rose:

However, let it rest... :yep: for now.

Blessings and sweet sleep, AfriPrincess.

See, the bolded is what I think is inaccurate. A woman can be dressed modestly while the man still wonders what's "underneath her clothing." Men have said that just by looking at a woman's face can drive them to lust (why do you think some countries have the veil?).

Just because a woman dresses modestly, doesn't mean everyone will respect her like you have experienced in YOUR life. Many women are treated with disregard and disrespect even when they are fully clothed. For this reason, men need to take responsibility of their own "lusts" and not burden women with the responsibility to control their own minds.

I know what your saying here however there will be some who are with Christ so of course they will be looking..however they wouldnt be able to deny that she is a godly woman..she would be set apart from the worldy woman.It like with anything in the christian faith not everyone is going to respect you even if your doing all you can to be right with God.Its just the facts of life..however God will honor this which is the key.

Men should be held accountable for their actions just as much as women..We as women must call their attention to their actions by letting them no you don't approve in a godly way..

Guess we just have to pray for discernment. I could wear a scoop neck tank top when its hot outside and it not cause a commotion (I don't have big boobs). Someone more well endowed however- bad idea. Its does depend on the person. This is not to say that because I'm little I can wear anything, but again, its all about discernment. If you've done your part, the man who still lusts will be held accountable. Heck even if you don't do your part he will be, (as will you) just because something is provoked doesn't mean its acceptable.

Still, none of us it perfect. That's all I say on the matter.

So why is this?

:spinning: This makes so much sense...

It is both the men and the womens responsibility, theirs to control their lusts, and ours to do our best not to incite lust. But we can only control what WE do.

I do believe that we have become desensitized to the sexuality that is implicit in our clothing today because it has become a norm in our society. So to a certain extent we believe we can wear what we want and its up to them to control themselves.

I also dont think women can be compared to men in this instance because we are not as visual when it comes to sexuality so I dont think we truly know the extent of a struggle that a christian man may experience.

Ultimately we are each 100% responsible for what WE do.

So why is this?

All of this is so true. A lot of this discussion reminds me of Maya Angelou's "Phenomenal Woman."

Excerpt:

Men themselves have wondered
What they see in me.
They try so much
But they can't touch
My inner mystery.
When I try to show them
They say they still can't see.
I say,
It's in the arch of my back,
The sun of my smile,
The ride of my breasts,
The grace of my style.
I'm a woman

Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.

Now you understand
Just why my head's not bowed.
I don't shout or jump about
Or have to talk real loud.
When you see me passing
It ought to make you proud.
I say,
It's in the click of my heels,
The bend of my hair,
the palm of my hand,
The need of my care,
'Cause I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.

Last edited:

I totally agree!!! It's like what are they suppose to wear? A nun outfit? Oversized shirts and dresses? Anything a woman wears is going to show their curves if they have any, whether they are wearing something fitting their shape or loose fitting.

Ce Ce Winans doesn't dress like this and she sell music with a powerful annointing and that's what God wants to express.... His annointing, not showing the boobies for all the world to see. :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep: :yep:
CeCe Winans wearing a see-through dress:

Ce%20Ce%20Winans-SGG-027778.jpg

You're right :yep there are definitely worse things. But we need not add the wrong spices to the pot. And you're not dramatic, you're a sweetheart and you just see it differently.

I'll ask you this. If these women came to a job interview, how would they be viewed for a professional corporate office setting? There are even some restaurants that would not allow this form of dressing among their clientele. These dresses speak a language that's not complimentary.

Even a royal princess such as yourself would have finer attire in your wardrobe. :Rose: However, let it rest... :yep: for now. Blessings and sweet sleep, AfriPrincess.
AfriPrincess wasn't saying she was against dressing modestly. She's just saying no matter how women dress, men can still lust after them, even if they are covered from their neck to their toes like a woman in a polygamus cult.

In the question you posted, what Mary Mary was wearing would not be appropriate for an interview. That picture you posted of Mary Mary, they weren't even modeling for interview attire.

Why would you want to accentuate any part of your body for anyone other than your husband to look at? They're not dressed any different than Beyonce or Alicia Keys. What message does that send? Most people are so used to seeing women dressed that way, that it's hard to identify what's modest, myself included. :yep: It makes it even more difficult when designers and manufacturers don't make modest clothes just as appealing.

Edit: I'm referring to how they dress overall when in the public eye.

Why would I accentuate my figure? For ME! There is a misconception that the only reason a woman would want to dress attractively and show her shape is to somehow attract a man. This is not always the case-sometimes a woman is just proud she has lost weight. Maybe she has been having a hard day, week, ect and dressing up and looking good to herself is helping her get through her day. Sometimes women are not thinking about men. Sometimes a women gets tired of feeling as if something is wrong because she is shaped like a woman. I believe in modesty. However, I was made to feel ashamed at a young age because I am naturally curvy and have a womanly figure. I have curvy legs, small waist, wide hips, and a large chest. I cannot cover this up. I have tried and was left looking and feeling sloppy and unkept. I wear clothes that fit-and yes they reveal that I am a woman. I wear my arms out because I sweat like a man and this cuts down on embarassing sweat rings. Someone else would think that I was trying to be sexy and revealing. You can tell by the way a woman carries herself her true intentions.

I don't think a woman has to go to the extreme and dress in baggy/sloppy clothes. Let's forget men for now. Why do women need to have their breasts pushed out and exposed, wear pants that fit like skin, or wear clothes that accentuate your body no differently than lingerie, in public, in order feel better about themselves? That's extreme in the opposite direction. Personally, I don't need tight, revealing clothes to remind me that I'm attractive and that I'm a woman. That's what I am from the inside out, not the outside in. Of course, we'll all continue disagree about what "modest" looks like and that's okay. I'm only accountable for what I do.

I remember hearing Joyce Meyer say "If you want to know what do, the right decision to make, follow peace." I'm at peace with how I dress. So I'll just continue to follow peace and let the Holy Spirit convict me where I need it.:yep:

Why would I accentuate my figure? For ME! There is a misconception that the only reason a woman would want to dress attractively and show her shape is to somehow attract a man. This is not always the case-sometimes a woman is just proud she has lost weight. Maybe she has been having a hard day, week, ect and dressing up and looking good to herself is helping her get through her day. Sometimes women are not thinking about men. Sometimes a women gets tired of feeling as if something is wrong because she is shaped like a woman. I believe in modesty. However, I was made to feel ashamed at a young age because I am naturally curvy and have a womanly figure. I have curvy legs, small waist, wide hips, and a large chest. I cannot cover this up. I have tried and was left looking and feeling sloppy and unkept. I wear clothes that fit-and yes they reveal that I am a woman. I wear my arms out because I sweat like a man and this cuts down on embarassing sweat rings. Someone else would think that I was trying to be sexy and revealing. You can tell by the way a woman carries herself her true intentions.

Last edited:
CeCe Winans wearing a see-through dress:

Ce%20Ce%20Winans-SGG-027778.jpg

AfriPrincess wasn't saying she was against dressing modestly. She's just saying no matter how women dress, men can still lust after them, even if they are covered from their neck to their toes like a woman in a polygamus cult.

In the question you posted, what Mary Mary was wearing would not be appropriate for an interview. That picture you posted of Mary Mary, they weren't even modeling for interview attire.

Exactly. :yep:

Back